Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 07-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Grilley View Post
I have a Ferguson breech loading flintlock rifle that I have experimented with Swiss powder. At 100 yards switching from 3F Goex to 3F Swiss will raise the point of impact of the ball by 9 inches. I need to borrow a chronograph to find out what the actual change in velocity is, but just going by trajectory, it is significant.
9" change in point of impact is pretty significant I'd say too! I'd be curious how much increase in velocity you are getting with Swiss compared to Goex.

I did some searching to no avail regarding pressures but I did find this. To give credit where credit is due, I found it here http://blackpowderblog.blogspot.com/

One thing to bear in mind is that most folks believe that current-day blackpowder, Goex in particular, is significantly weaker than mass-produced blackpowder of the 18th and 19th centuries. this article notes 1250 fps as the velocity of a minie ball fired from a Civil War musket imported from England. If you were to use an equivalent charge of Goex 2F to propel the minie ball, velocity would likely be <1000 fps. The difference in powder strength is attributed to the charcoal used in the manufacture of the powder. Even today, no one disputes that Swiss powder, which is constructed of a different charcoal from Goex, produces higher velocities (and more recoil) on a weight-to-weight basis than Goex. So ... it would seem that there is some basis for the argument that blackpowder was originally stronger than what we have today. but I digress ....
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Cronin For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Hammer Fan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Cronin View Post
9" change in point of impact is pretty significant I'd say too! I'd be curious how much increase in velocity you are getting with Swiss compared to Goex.

I did some searching to no avail regarding pressures but I did find this. To give credit where credit is due, I found it here http://blackpowderblog.blogspot.com/

One thing to bear in mind is that most folks believe that current-day blackpowder, Goex in particular, is significantly weaker than mass-produced blackpowder of the 18th and 19th centuries. this article notes 1250 fps as the velocity of a minie ball fired from a Civil War musket imported from England. If you were to use an equivalent charge of Goex 2F to propel the minie ball, velocity would likely be <1000 fps. The difference in powder strength is attributed to the charcoal used in the manufacture of the powder. Even today, no one disputes that Swiss powder, which is constructed of a different charcoal from Goex, produces higher velocities (and more recoil) on a weight-to-weight basis than Goex. So ... it would seem that there is some basis for the argument that blackpowder was originally stronger than what we have today. but I digress ....
Outstanding find, thank you! That goes right along with what I have been led to believe as well. After learning about the properties of the antique sporting powders, I am much less apprehensive of using the so called "fast" burning 3F Goex. I need to do more experimenting/learning before I take the leap to heavy loads of 3F Swiss, but the results may put my modern 3" duck loads to shame. Which the Goex loads I am already experimenting with are pretty close to doing as it is. My old fashioned blackpowder and card wad 10 ga loads already pattern tighter and more uniformly than any of the bismuth loads I have been able to load up in my Ruger Red Label.
Forrest Grilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

First, everyone I know uses volume, not weight, when measuring Black Powder. Second, going from 2F to 3F will raise pressure and velocity. In my 12ga loads I go from 92grs of 2F to 65grs of 3F - this is with a 12ga smooth bore muzzleloader with a .715 patched round ball and get the same point of impact. With my Parkers and 1oz of shot I use either 92grs of 2F or 75grs of 3F. The 92gr load is only for effect - when I like to surprise other shooters - although I will admitt it kills birds or clay birds quite well. Thirty some years ago I built a 8ga O/U muzzleloader that weighed 15 pounds. I loaded 400grs of 1F and 4oz of shot. It would push me over if I wasn't standing right - but it was death on geese at 60 to 70 yards. In the Lyman BP Handbook [ for muzzleloaders ] they show 102grs 2f and a 1 1/4oz giving a 1200FPS for 12ga. In a different reloading manual for shotshells 1330 FPS for 102grs. In 10ga only 1270 for the same charge. It would appear the 8ga load would be lower yet. Those 8ga's were meant for some heavy loads, and I don't think you're even close. I wouldn't go with the 3F unless you keep the load down from what you'd be useing with 2F. If you're just loading for Cowboy shooting at clays why load a heavy one ? Now hunting - 130 of 2F sounds nice. Happy shooting to ya - Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Harm For Your Post:
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

Now that is impressive! 400 grains with 4 oz of shot!!!!!!
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

do you still shoot the 8 ga paul... 49 grains blue dot and 3 oz has been my top load..it patterned on paper really good... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #16
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

The gun is gone. I forge knives and did gun shows at one time. I would set the big 8ga on the table to draw in customers. Had a for sale sign on it = thought it was too high but a guy put the money on the table and took the gun. Never said a word - didn't ask any questions. I looked at the wife and said, " I really didn't want to sell that gun ". Oh well.
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

have done the same thing with cars...sure would have like to have the old 8 ga and would like to have shot it at least once with that 4 oz load...maybe you will build another one some day... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote