Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Regulating barrels
Unread 10-04-2026, 05:43 PM   #1
Member
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Brian Hornacek's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 947
Thanks: 2,350
Thanked 5,195 Times in 571 Posts

Default Regulating barrels

Has anyone had a double barrel regulated. I have a 34” VH that needs some help. Let me know of your experience and who did the work.

Thank you,

Brian
Brian Hornacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2026, 06:41 PM   #2
Member
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 892
Thanks: 614
Thanked 598 Times in 284 Posts

Default

I've not used him personally, but I've heard very good things about Mike Orlen in Amherst, Ma.
Chris Travinski is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2026, 08:08 PM   #3
Member
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Brian Hornacek's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 947
Thanks: 2,350
Thanked 5,195 Times in 571 Posts

Default

I have used him for choke work and he is good for that.
Brian Hornacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2026, 10:23 PM   #4
Member
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,023
Thanks: 6
Thanked 3,096 Times in 909 Posts

Default

Brian, try contacting Kirk Merrington in Kerrville Texas. I used him and although pricey, he's one of the best in barrel work. You get what you pay for. Jim
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2026, 10:29 PM   #5
Member
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,382
Thanks: 4,735
Thanked 5,899 Times in 1,641 Posts

Default

I have dealt with both Mike Orlen and Dean Harris. My advice would be to call Dean Harris at Skeet's Gun Shop in Tahlequah, OK. Dean is a prince of a man and very knowledgeable about barrel regulation in S X S doubles.

I had learned of Dean's procedure to enable the center of one barrel's pattern to be moved significantly in any direction. I called him and told him of my 20 ga. AH Fox Sterlingworth Ejector that crossfired by 8 inches at 25 yds. (both barrels equally), with 7/8 oz. loads at 1250 fps. He said it was a tall order to move the patterns that much but to send it to him.

A short time later I received a call from him. He told me that he had it regulated perfectly at 25 yds. by just changing loads. He went to a 1 oz. load at 1160 fps and the patterns centered perfectly atop each other. He said he never had to do a thing to the barrels. Though I was ecstatic to have it regulated I had really wanted to use 7/8 oz. loads in it. While he had it, he opened the chokes from Modified right and Full left to .006" R and .016" L, at my specs.

First time in the field with the gun, on quail, I doubled with it on the first cover rise. I don't worry about having to use 1 oz. loads in it anymore. Evidently that's the load it was made to be used with.

You won't go wrong with Dean. He is very easy to talk with over the phone.

Dean Harris
918-456-4749
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2026, 10:59 PM   #6
Member
Phil C
PGCA Member
 
Phillip Carr's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,542
Thanks: 4,199
Thanked 6,898 Times in 1,661 Posts

Default

Brian,
Give Dean a call. He is as good as it gets. I had a friend send him a Remington SXS that one barrel was so far off you didn’t need to lead a bird flying right to left. Dean worked on it for several weeks but it shot perfect upon its return.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2026, 11:41 PM   #7
Member
Brian H
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Brian Hornacek's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 947
Thanks: 2,350
Thanked 5,195 Times in 571 Posts

Default

I never thought of Dean, he has done a lot of work for me.

Thanks for getting me thinking correctly on this problem.

Brian
Brian Hornacek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Hornacek For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2026, 07:51 AM   #8
Member
john pulis
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 732
Thanks: 2,209
Thanked 348 Times in 239 Posts

Default

Buck Hamlin recommend Dean to me for similar work on an LC. Dean corrected the pattern for 3/4 o loads. Shoots fine now.
john pulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2026, 08:37 AM   #9
Member
Andy
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Andrew Sacco's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2,658
Thanks: 338
Thanked 4,040 Times in 1,558 Posts

Default

I have a 16g VH that shoots right barrel about 1" to the right of point of impact (measured by Target Telemetrics) and left barrel that shoots at least 8" left and almost 1-2" high. I cannot hit a L to R crosser with that gun so I was going to move it on. I sent it to Jim Eyster and he called me the other day and said it was going to fixable with eccentric choking and it was M/IM as I had it and he estimates it will end up IC/Skeet when he's done. He has a great reputation and I'll try to remember to follow up here when I get it back this week. Heritage Gunsmiths, Ohio.
__________________
The future is no place to place your better days
Andrew Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2026, 10:42 AM   #10
Member
Phil C
PGCA Member
 
Phillip Carr's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,542
Thanks: 4,199
Thanked 6,898 Times in 1,661 Posts

Default

Dean explained to me once, that over time SXS barrels will be different hardness from the out side of the barrel compared to the inner portion of the barrel up against the center rib.
For this reason sometimes if the improper tooling is used the choke will ream out more metal from one side than the other as the reamer wants to cut more from the softer side.
I believe uses a Sunnun machine for his bore and choke work.
It’s been a few years since we discussed this subject so hopefully I have explained this correctly.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.