Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Trojan Chamber Length
Unread 09-28-2026, 07:58 PM   #1
Member
Jim Seufert
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Trojan Chamber Length

First of all, thank you for having me. I just learned about your forum.

My Dad's 1915 Parker Trojan, sn 169xxx was used extensively in the 1930's. Taken out of service 12/7/1941 and not used again until the 1960's when I came of age.

Originally used with paper shells, we disposed of all the old ones when I started shooting. So I don't know what those were. Since then it was used only with 2 3/4" 1 oz. deer slugs.

I recently read an article about how some old doubles had short chambers and should not be used with current 2 3/4" hulls. I'm writing to learn what the chamber length actually is, if known.

The last time it was fired was in 2005 when Dad got his last deer. As an interesting side note, every deer Dad ever got was with this very shotgun. For the last 13 years I have been its caretaker, and it will go to his Grandson when the time comes.

Not likely I'll shoot it much, but I did want to be sure if I could safely blast a few on Dad's birthday along with a few of his others.

TIA for any help you guys can provide...
Jim Seufert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2026, 08:04 PM   #2
Member
Jim Seufert
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

Forgot to add pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20260928_143843.jpg (490.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20260928_143824.jpg (490.4 KB, 7 views)
Jim Seufert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2026, 08:19 PM   #3
Member
Tennessee Dave
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 404
Thanks: 437
Thanked 348 Times in 165 Posts

Default

I'm far from an expert, but if you have been shooting 2&3/4-inch shells in it for many years without any issues, it probably has 2&5/8 chambers that were designed for 2&3/4-inch shells.

Last edited by David Livesay; 09-28-2026 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: spelling error
David Livesay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2026, 08:32 PM   #4
Member
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Brian Dudley's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,452
Thanks: 572
Thanked 21,104 Times in 5,270 Posts

Default

Your trojan should be just fine to shoot 2-3/4” plastic hull target loads.
__________________
B. Dudley
Brian Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 09-29-2026, 08:19 AM   #5
Member
IW1978
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: May 2025
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Thanked 82 Times in 35 Posts

Default

As Dave said, I’m not an expert but isn’t it a little dangerous to be shooting modern deer slug loads out of that gun?
Ira Whitten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ira Whitten For Your Post:
Unread 09-29-2026, 10:44 AM   #6
Member
Jim Seufert
Forum Associate

Member Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira Whitten View Post
As Dave said, I’m not an expert but isn’t it a little dangerous to be shooting modern deer slug loads out of that gun?
I have no intention of doing that. When Dad passed away it no longer was a deer gun. It's now a family heirloom, and as such I was concerned if it was safe at all.
Jim Seufert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2026, 02:25 PM   #7
Member
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member
 
Dean Romig's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 34,210
Thanks: 41,808
Thanked 38,467 Times in 13,926 Posts

Default

The first Parker I ever shot - in fact the first SXS I ever shot was a 12-gauge Trojan with Mod and Full chokes... that was back around '61 and I had it in my posession for about 6 or 7 years. I shot all kinds of upland game with it with 2 3/4" shells, all hunting loads. I eventually grew into that gun but it had been letting me know that I was too small for it.
I never measured the chambers but suspect 167347 being a 1914 12 gauge it had 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" chambers.... not that at that tender age if 13 I ever knew to consider the chamber length.

Never a problem shooting 2 3/4" duck and pheasant loads with it.





.
__________________
"I'm a Setter man.
Not because I think they're better than the other breeds,
but because I'm a romantic - stuck on tradition - and to me, a Setter just "belongs" in the grouse picture."

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2026, 03:17 PM   #8
Member
Pa SxS
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Chuck Bishop's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,087
Thanks: 1,380
Thanked 5,836 Times in 1,592 Posts

Default

Jim, looking at your picture of the underside of your Trojan I see a #2 on the rear lug which means the gun was built on a size 2 frame which was very common in those days. A #2 frame gun, assuming the bores have never been messed with and are in good internal and external condition, that gun should have great wall thickness. If you are going to shoot it (it was made to shoot not hang on a wall) you should be able to shoot just about any 12 gauge shell thru it however out of respect for it's age and condition, try and limit your shells to the lowest shot weight and speed as possible. Your shoulder will thank you.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.