Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Rusty Frame.
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Dunnigun
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Rusty Frame.

Recently picked up a BHE represented to have been restored by Turnbull and was surprised to see it rust after hunting in the rain. The gun looked good when it arrived and the case colors and engraving did indeed look newly done. So I did the deed.

I wiped the gun with light oil before duck hunting and took it out on a rainy day for about 4 hours. Upon returning to camp, I noticed there was some bright yellow surface rust forming on the receiver and trigger guard.

Horrified by this sight, love potion #9 (Hoppe's) was applied with a rag and with some light wiping the rust was removed. Now for the other bad part. The rust was indeed removed, but some 'bleached out' looking blemishes took the place of the rust. Could not believe I was seeing blemishes where the rust had been removed. My poor little beautiful debutant...I've ruined her.

Just wondering if those 'acne' scars are permanent, and what can be done to 'duckproof' the gun? I did apply some Filson wax out of frustration while I await you learned advise. Thanks in advance. Brian
Brian Stucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Brian, I have had a few of my Parkers soaked to the core after getting caught in the rain. After a thorough wiping down with a dry towel I have wiped the wood,barrels and frame down with Ballistol and never any sign of rust
Unread 12-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Brian and I exchanged msgs today over this issue. He got BRIGHT YELLOW corrosion after only 4 hrs in the rain that left permanent pits in the case hardening that was I'm assuming redone by Turnbull when they redid the gun. Where are the metallurgists in the crowd here?? To me that indicates something very strange, something gone awry with the case hardening process. To a geologist yellow oxide indicates either sulfur, FeO in a particular form, arsenic oxide, bismuth oxide, or antimony oxide. Whatever it is, his gun is scarred and it will happen again if he doesn't take preventative measures. I recommended waxing it but that's a bandaid cure. Anyone have a clue what the issue is?
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,055 Times in 1,426 Posts

I have experienced the same thing only from handling the gun on a humid day. Light yellow rust developing within hours. A situation that has not happened on guns that are original regardless if they have a lot or no case colors. The recievers of recased guns seem to rust faster. I wondered if the guns when original acted the same way. I do think wax is better than oil for protection in the rain. The product called "Nu-finish" for cars is extremely durable.

Correct me if I am wrong, the trigger guard should be blued not cased. If both reciever and trigger guard rusted then I believe the conditions must have been very harsh. Were you hunting around salt water? Did anything else get on your hands that transferred to the gun? Was the gun "dry" of oil or grease when you went out in the rain?

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Try as we might if we take a Parker afield it will be subjected to wear and dings. Hopefully not anything worse, but the potential for tripping and really hurting a gun exists. The gun probably needed to be refinished because of lots of use by previous owners. I believe Parker's are meant to be shot and enjoyed. If we use them they will eventually show some "character" from our use, it's unavoidable. Protect your gun as best you can and enjoy it.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Hammer Gun
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,867 Times in 1,672 Posts

Brian, I have a Parker that was redone by Turnbull and have not had any problems even in heavy rain for 3-4hrs,Think back did you have anything on your hands? lotions, bug spray, etc? was lacquer applied ? they usually put a coat on over the case colors. to protect them. The gun should not rust like that. I use Preserve oil.
Gary Carmichael Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Humidity and Color
Unread 12-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Humidity and Color

The PT gun 69017 discussed in another post in the hammer section is pretty original, and rebrowns itself when I use it at skeet or 5 stand on humid days. Wiping the barrel down with Hoppes in the cleaning process removes the yellow, and another rub with white mineral oil restores the color. I give all metal parts a rub with Rig as a final stage of cleaning. Rig is available again in a different looking can.
I had two shooters that were worn white that did show rust even when protected by Rig, on humid days or when rained on. I had both blued in the last ten years; the trigger gaurds are doing fine, but the barrel blue has come off the rib on one, and a few small pits have appearred on the other. It may be that modern bluing salts and pre WW II steel don't get along.
The big three frame lifter 12 that I shoot regularly was evenly yellow brown when I obtained it. The weekly rub down with Hoppes / MO / and Rig yeilded yellow patches for a year or so, but the PT pattern has re emerged. I contemplate dropping that big frame in the ultra sonic to see if the recovery occurs there.
Richard is probably right in his suggestion that some form of sulfur is the culprit in corrosion of newly blued guns. Find a GI ammo can or a big restaurant size mayonaise jar and clean it out. Put items from your shooting kit, paper towels you may use for wipe down or wiping your hands, and anything else you suspect in the can or jar and seal it for a week, then open and sniff. If it smells like farts or rotten eggs you have found the culprit. Newspaper can be especially bad.

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Brian.
How sure are you that the gun was case colored by Turnbull? If you are sure they did the work I would give them a call (585-657-6338) and ask what they think happened and what could be done to prevent it from happening in the future.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
C grade
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,248 Times in 457 Posts

Austin
What is RIG,and why do you like it? I use Ballistol as a final on bores and exterior metal
David
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,189 Times in 4,903 Posts

The full name of RIG is "rust inhibiting grease". I agree with Larry. Contact Mr. Turnbull to find out if he, in fact, did refinish your gun. Many guns are advertised as refinished by Turnbull that Turnbull have never seen or touched.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,729 Times in 1,588 Posts

RIG is the best. I bought several tubs when I heard they were going out of business, and now have 3 lifetime supplies. I use it as a protectant (with a lambswool wiper) and as a lubricant at hinge points
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote