Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

The Passenger Pigeon.....
Unread 09-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,192 Posts

Default The Passenger Pigeon.....

I had an interesting time on Friday evening, thought I'd share the experience. Not about Parker Guns directly, but I'm sure plenty of Passenger Pigeons got shot with Parkers so it's somewhat related.

A friend of mine, Joel Greenburg, had a new book published about this year to mark the 100th anniversary of their extinction. The last one died on September 1st, 1914 in the Cincinnati Zoo.

Joel is a tree hugger deluxe, but somehow we're friends, as odd as that seems. I let him use a couple photos from the book that I had in my collection which show passenger pigeons.

He was in town to give a lecture at the U of M Natural History Museum so I figured I'd better go. I'm pretty sure I was the only sportsman in attendance and certainly the only live pigeon shooter. I wore my Pennsylvania Flyers membership pin just to represent our side, I'm sure it was in bad taste but of course I didn't care.

The lecture was very interesting and I learned a few things I didn't know. Afterwards I was showing Joel some other photos that I believed might show eskimo curlew and labrador duck but I never was sure about it. He called over a lady who's the curator of birds at the museum to look them over. She and I fell to talking and she invited me up to look at their collection of extinct bird mounts and study skins, particularly to see the labrador duck they have so we could compare it to the photo.

I can't tell you the feeling I had when she started pulling out the drawers where the birds are stored. I'd seen mounted passenger pigeons before, even had a chance to buy one once, but they've got probably 20 so that was impressive. The highlight was to actually see a labrador duck, a nice full plumage drake. But they've also got ivory billed woodpeckers, imperial woodpeckers, carolina parakeets, and a dozen others that are now gone from the Earth. I was simply blown away to say the least.....

We compared the labrador to my photo and we're both nearly certain that's what's shown. It's from a distance, rows of birds hanging on the wall of a shack, but you can see the markings pretty clearly. I bought it in a group of hunting camp photos from a dealer in Long Island years ago. Seems fitting as that's where the last know birds were shot.

She invited me back when we had more time so I could look over some things they have from the personal collection of William Mershon who wrote one of the early works on Passenger Pigeons. Mershon was from Michigan and was a very active sportsman / collector so it will be really interesting to see what they've got. I believe they also have his papers in their library.

Anyway, thought some of you boys might be interested in hearing about it.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,176 Times in 4,897 Posts

Pretty interesting stuff. Destry and I both have hundreds of sporting publication ads for pigeon dealers in the pre-1914 time period. It is a bit of a tossup about who to blame for the eradication of the PP, the habitat destroyers or the shooters. I have not read enough on the subject to choose a side. Pigeon dealers today are trying to eradicate the common pigeon, but they are a bit behind the opposition.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Bill,

Actually, I have a ton of produce dealer price sheets from the 1860's to the early 1900's but I only have two that list "wild pigeons". I pick them up for the "wild game" sections where they list prices for canvasback, shore birds, and pretty much anything else you could hunt or trap.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Unread 09-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,548 Times in 1,366 Posts

Thank you for posting that. I have been fascinated by the PP for many years. I have been to visit Martha in her final testing place (pictured below) at the cincinnati zoo many times. The memorial has a cloak of sadness about it. It's been speculated that the PP was the most abundant animal on earth. Do you know how I could get a copy of your friends book?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pp mem.jpg (8.8 KB, 417 views)
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 09-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you want to see Martha herself, she's currently on display at the Smithsonian. She's not been out in a long time apparently, glad to hear she's available for viewing again.

My friends book is called "A Feathered River Across The Sky" you can get it on Amazon or any of the other online book sites.
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 09-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

She is regularly on display at the Cincinnati zoo where she resides. There is a lot of information and memorabilia on display with her. Since I was a kid I was fascinated by the sories about how they darkened the skies for hours as they flew by. My now deceased great grandfather used to tell a story about one of the old timers that happened to be camped under a roost one night. He said it was like being in a bird s*#t storm...
Unread 09-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Oh that's interesting, I just thought the Smithsonian didn't have her out. Turns out she was in Cincinnati for quite awhile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_%28pigeon%29
Unread 09-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

thanks destrey for posting this info on the pp..anyway ya ll could post a picture of one of these birds i ve never seen one...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Click on that link I posted, there's pictures of Martha on that page.

They look very similar to a dove, just about half again as big and a little more colorful.
Unread 09-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Here you go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pp1.jpg (4.2 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg pp2.jpg (8.4 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg pp3.jpg (12.8 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg pp4.jpg (13.1 KB, 391 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Franzen For Your Post: