Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker VH 12 ga.
Unread 04-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
gary cutler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker VH 12 ga.

As a new member of this great forum, I have a few questions regarding my recent acquisition. Attached are pics of my 1901 Parker VH, 12 ga. Ser. No. 105808.
The barrels have been professionally cut to 25 inches, cyl & cyl, and a recoil pad added. I know this makes the gun a shooter, not collectable, and was priced accordingly.
However, it appears to be in good condition, most screws facing properly, good finish and tight action. All parts carry the same serial number.
Although it has a tight action, the opening lever when closed faces a little left of centre (see pics), the open action requires a little more force to load or unload the shells and the hinge bolt does not face 9 o'clock.
Should these items be attended to before taking the gun hunting?
I have already received answers to a couple of enquiries re- serial no. search and suitable shell size under the discussion forum and do appreciate the quick and friendly response.
Gary Cutler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VH Parker 12 Ga 011.jpg (482.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg VH Parker 12 Ga 014.jpg (470.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg VH Parker 008.jpg (504.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg VH Parker 001.jpg (497.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg VH Parker 12 Ga 008.jpg (493.9 KB, 6 views)
gary cutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
D Todd Hendrey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wow, Great looking Vh, Gary. I am really new to this web page too and shooting old reliable. A friend just gave me the affliction of these wonderful guns. I know there are a lot of great people here to help.

Candyman
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,399 Times in 4,731 Posts

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting photos of your Parker.
A few other observations on your new gun... The buttstock is not original. It is an aftermarket replacement. Things like the shape of cheeks, grip and comb point to this. As well as checkering. Also, the frame on the gun has been blued. This is an incorrect finish since frame should be case colored. Likely the barrels have been reblued as well if the frame has been. Bluing looks to be done a long time ago since there is some substantial wear to it on the edges from use.

To address some of your questions.
The top levers on Parkers being right, left or centered do not really mean anything. Parkers have a bolting mechanism that changes position very little with wear. Other guns will have levers that move a lot as the gun wears. Namely ones with rotory bolting like fox, LC Smith and NID.
You will notice that on Parker guns the rib is a concave surface. This surface carries back onto the frame and also the top lever. This "dish" as I call it was filed into the frame and lever after the barrels were fitted. So, the top lever was set and then the fish put in. Every gun has its lever in a slightly different position. And the amount of wear that the lever allows is very minimal.
Your "dish seems to be a hair misaligned to the left suggesting possible wear, but this may just be poor polishing of parts when the gun was blued.

The hinge pin slot being out of line is not a major issue other than cosmetic as long as it is tight. Again, it was most likely put out of whack when the frame was blued.

Not sure exactly what issue you are having with the shells, so I cannot advise much on that.
Parker VH 12 ga.
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
gary cutler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker VH 12 ga.

Brian,
Many thanks for your reply to my forum questions.
I had also received your advice to a previous forum thread regarding Winchester low recoil, low noise target loads. These shells, incidentally, are only 2 1/4 inch unfired, 6200 psi.
Could you let me know if there is a problem with the action when it requires a little pressure to open fully, extract or load. Could this be caused by the "cocking slide" being restricted in some way. It is difficult to push in for the last 1/4inch when the gun is dismantled.
My thanks for your interest.
Gary Cutler
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 18,399 Times in 4,731 Posts

The issue you describe could be any number of things which would be difficult to diagnose without the gun in hand to know exactly what the issue is. And being that your gun has been into before and completely refinished in one way or another, all bets are off as to what it could be.
Parker VH 12 ga.
Unread 04-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
gary cutler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker VH 12 ga.

Brian,
My thanks again.
Gary