Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

St. Anne's Again......
Unread 12-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,237 Times in 1,197 Posts

Default St. Anne's Again......

Got the call and figured I'd better go, no telling what might happen. Lots of ice so all the regular boat ramps were frozen in, met the club boat clear up on the river. Was 15 degrees when we left the ramp, it was about a 40 minute boat ride to the shooting grounds. Cold would be one way to put it.

Finally got out and got set, lots of ducks flying but only a single coming in occasionally.

I had the Swamp Angel as always. Shot well enough despite my layers of clothing, thankfully the old girl isn't too long in the stock. I missed two I should have killed, had a nice double on the last birds of the day to make up for it.

We shot till the last possible minute, ended up with 10 mallards and a big bull canvasback.

My friend made a tremendous overhead passing shot on the can, his first of the season.

The ride back to the ramp in the dark was even colder, I think my right foot finally thawed out sometime this morning.....

Thanks to my friend Jim for the invite, hope we get to go again before the season closes down in mid January.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
David Noble
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,146 Times in 410 Posts

Destry, you're my new hero.
Here in Texas we just had an ice storm and some nights with temps in the mid teens, but we don't get enough of that kind of cold for me to get acclimated to it.
If someone told me I had a 40 minute boat ride, in both directions, in 15 degree cold, I don't think I would have gone.

Dammit! I hate admitting I'm getting soft!
David Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Noble For Your Post:
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,462 Times in 298 Posts

You know if you try and explain why you did that to someone who didn't have "the fever" you would end up frustrated with their inability to understand. I know, because I have tried it.

The good news is there are a few of us who "get it" - and I as one of them - cracked a big smile as I read your report.

I hope you get out again too.
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARK KIRCHER For Your Post:
Unread 12-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,343 Times in 3,302 Posts

glad you had a good hunt.

I had been watching the weather maps this week, that band that ran over you there for the last four days terminated in Western NY after crossing lots of water. Cold, windy and white here. I had to go to Buffalo on Tuesday - the drive home took 3 1/2 hours (normally a few minutes over one). I was supposed to go out for geese on Wednesday but the area was frozen out.
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,118 Posts

Destry ,YOU ARE THE MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ,I spent 5 Hours in a Tree Stand earlier in the week with a 15 Degree Temp and 10 to 20 Mile an hour winds according to the weatherman ,so I can relate just a little bit ! I got my Pa. Buck last week when the weather was nice ,I was sitting for a Doe ,which by the way never came by that afternoon !
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

That doe found a warm spot.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne goerres View Post
That doe found a warm spot.
I always knew they were smarter than me
Russ Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

that was a fine hunt destrey had and a man has got to love his hunting orbe a little touched in the head to stay out in such cold conditions maybe a little of both... congratulations on the buck kill i ve got mine to get yet.. but i have been doing my part of setting out in the cold...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

This thread makes me cold just reading about it. I guess I have been in the south to long.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,237 Times in 1,197 Posts

Going to try and make another hunt this week. The weather is supposed to break on Friday so we'll do our best to go before then.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote