Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

16gauge non toxic
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 16gauge non toxic

Having trouble locating a low pressure 2 1/2 inch 16 gauge non toxic, non steel
shotshell for waterfowl. RST lists #5 shot as their largest in Nice shot for a 16ga and I need a 2 and 4. Any ideas as to where I can purchase this? Bismouth, ITX, tungston all ok by me. I picked up a remington era trojan 16 that I am hot to take duck hunting this fall.
Thanks
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Marc Retallack
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eric,

To the best of my knowledge, the only companies currently producing 16ga non-toxic (vintage barrel friendly) loads are RST (1oz #5 largest), Kent TM (1 1/16oz #5 largest), Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles (1oz #4 largest) and Nice Shot
factory loads (1 1/8oz #2 largest). The Nice Shot factory loads do come in both #2 and #4 but I doubt they are low pressure and they are 2 3/4" loads http://store.fastcommerce.com/nicesh...ad3084e-c.html

Reloading may be your only option if you're looking for those size shot in a low pressure 2 1/2" shell.

Cheers,
Marcus
"Nowadays, when one is forced to cross the country in a few hours and drink three-day-old beer, ain't it a pleasure to know, as I'm sure you do, that good friends, good bourbon, and good tobacco are slowly made."

Gene Hill

www.cure.org

Last edited by Marc Retallack; 04-14-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Marc Retallack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc Retallack For Your Post:
Visit Marc Retallack's homepage!
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,164 Times in 1,194 Posts

It's a fluid steel gun why are you worrying about low pressure? Why no #5 for ducks? It's almost all I shoot at them and they're good to 50 yards no problem.

Kent has dropped the 16 gauge from their line as far as I know. But they are still available if you look around, I bought a case last year.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Marc Retallack
Forum Associate

Member Info

Eric (and Destry),

If you're interested in the Kent TM #5s http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=545748

Cheers,
Marcus
"Nowadays, when one is forced to cross the country in a few hours and drink three-day-old beer, ain't it a pleasure to know, as I'm sure you do, that good friends, good bourbon, and good tobacco are slowly made."

Gene Hill

www.cure.org
Marc Retallack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc Retallack For Your Post:
Visit Marc Retallack's homepage!
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Destry
Thanks for your response. I grew up with a 16 gauge parker # 1 frame and not knowing much fed it a diet of 2 3/4 express, magnum or "high brass" for many years. Once I joined this forum I read that the wrists on the guns are the concern so I looked for 2 1/2" for a 2 9/16th chamber. The gun is in great shape and I believe it will handle 2 3/4 loads but some may question that. I agree that the barrels are tough.
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote