Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prairie grouse with my .410
Unread 09-19-2026, 07:44 AM   #1
Member
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
MARK KIRCHER's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 484
Thanks: 1,627
Thanked 2,668 Times in 320 Posts

Default Prairie grouse with my .410

We are in Wood South Dakota again this fall. Conditions have proven challenging indeed this year. Cover is sparse and birds few and far between. Craig and I walked all day yesterday raising only 3 sharptail.
Just after 5 PM I was given my only opportunity of the day. A nice Left to right crossing shot on a mature male sharptail.
#234870 my VH 26" DT 000 frame was up to the task
I have been thinking about that shot for 6 months.
Glad it went my way.
Hoping more opportunities today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20260918_172431.jpg (545.8 KB, 23 views)
__________________
“I never wrote a poem in my life. But if I ever do, it will be about ducks.”

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2026, 08:18 AM   #2
Member
Tennessee Dave
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 404
Thanks: 436
Thanked 347 Times in 165 Posts

Default

Way to go, and a very nice gun too. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.
David Livesay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Livesay For Your Post:
Unread 09-19-2026, 09:54 AM   #3
Member
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 546
Thanks: 4,096
Thanked 834 Times in 328 Posts

Default

Would love to see some more photos of your 410. What choke constrictions? What distance on that shot? A heck of a feat on a bird that size with a 410. Impressive.
J. Scott Hanes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. Scott Hanes For Your Post:
Unread 09-19-2026, 10:47 AM   #4
Member
Chris Robenalt
PGCA Member
 
Chris Robenalt's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 727
Thanks: 1,939
Thanked 1,441 Times in 353 Posts

Default

I know what is like, thinking about " that shot " for six months with that one special gun! Great picture, nice backdrop. I've never hunted these birds, but I know how it is to walk all morning or afternoon and to only take a couple shots. I've had quail hunts like that where 1 or 2 birds can feel like fifteen. Just being able to get out and shoot a fine gun such as your's, make it all worthwhile! Thanks for sharing Mark.
Chris, AZ
Chris Robenalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Robenalt For Your Post:
Unread 09-19-2026, 05:28 PM   #5
Member
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Garry L Gordon's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,024
Thanks: 17,352
Thanked 13,728 Times in 4,105 Posts

Default

Walking the prairie with the likes of Craig…and a good Parker…is a great hunt.

You gents are lucky.
__________________
"Doubtless the good Lord could have made a better game bird than bobwhite, and better country to hunt him in...but equally doubtless, he never did." -- Guy de la Valdene (from A Handful of Feathers )

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 09-19-2026, 09:38 PM   #6
Member
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member
 
Rick Roemer's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 649
Thanks: 849
Thanked 1,147 Times in 361 Posts

Default

Very cool. I love Parker 410s! I’ve never got to go Sharptail hunting, maybe someday.
__________________
A Dog, A Gun, and Time enough!

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Roemer For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2026, 08:24 AM   #7
Member
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
MARK KIRCHER's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 484
Thanks: 1,627
Thanked 2,668 Times in 320 Posts

Default

Well I was able to get another opportunity at the end of yesterday's hunt.
Then the heavy rains came. We won't get to go out today. Heading back to Rapid City for cigars and football.
Looking forward to next year already!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20260919_120458.jpg (608.9 KB, 5 views)
__________________
“I never wrote a poem in my life. But if I ever do, it will be about ducks.”

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2026, 09:37 AM   #8
Member
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member
 
Rick Roemer's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 649
Thanks: 849
Thanked 1,147 Times in 361 Posts

Default

what shot size did you use?
__________________
A Dog, A Gun, and Time enough!

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2026, 10:15 AM   #9
Member
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
MARK KIRCHER's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 484
Thanks: 1,627
Thanked 2,668 Times in 320 Posts

Default

I was shooting Federal 2 1/2" 1/2 oz. 7 1/2 s
__________________
“I never wrote a poem in my life. But if I ever do, it will be about ducks.”

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARK KIRCHER For Your Post:
Unread 09-20-2026, 12:40 PM   #10
Member
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Randy G Roberts's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,415
Thanks: 5,414
Thanked 7,152 Times in 2,241 Posts

Default

I recall a sign on Hwy 44 somewhere near Karlas Last Kall, you most likely visited Karlas place. Going off memory some years ago that sign read "Welcome to Wood, Population 77". Then I think they changed it to "Population 72". No matter as both numbers are grossly over estimated.

Safe travels fellas !
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.