Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-25-2023, 05:24 AM   #11
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,918 Times in 1,432 Posts

Harold I also have temporarily lost dogs while out hunting. Its a feeling I don't want to experience again.
I can honestly say since I bought my Garmin GPS tracking collar system over 10 years ago I have not had an issue. Last year Scout feel in a deep hole and I found and rescued him. Im not sure I would have located him without the collar.
Just a few weeks ago my young dog Ollie was spooked by a Javelina that chased her. She ran like the devil was after her. I got on the whistle but she would not stop. I watched the handheld as she covered over 900 yards.
Luckily I headed to the top of a hill and was able to tone her and then finally blow the whistle to get her attention and watched as she made her way back.
15 minutes later we were hunting again.
You may have a GPS collar and may not have been using it that day. If not and want to chat about what and how I use it just PM me and I will be happy to share my experience with you or others that may have any questions.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2023, 09:01 AM   #12
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,246 Times in 617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
Harold I also have temporarily lost dogs while out hunting. Its a feeling I don't want to experience again.
I can honestly say since I bought my Garmin GPS tracking collar system over 10 years ago I have not had an issue. Last year Scout feel in a deep hole and I found and rescued him. Im not sure I would have located him without the collar.
Just a few weeks ago my young dog Ollie was spooked by a Javelina that chased her. She ran like the devil was after her. I got on the whistle but she would not stop. I watched the handheld as she covered over 900 yards.
Luckily I headed to the top of a hill and was able to tone her and then finally blow the whistle to get her attention and watched as she made her way back.
15 minutes later we were hunting again.
You may have a GPS collar and may not have been using it that day. If not and want to chat about what and how I use it just PM me and I will be happy to share my experience with you or others that may have any questions.
I second the Garmin GPS tracking collar, if I would have had this on my dog while grouse hunting, I feel confident in saying I would not have lost her.
I do use one since and they hold up well except to dog teeth
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2023, 10:37 AM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

A good Parker, a good dog, and a good truck, not neccesarily in that order.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2023, 10:50 AM   #14
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Yes, I wiil have a GPS collar by next season, and thanks for the recommendation of the Garmin. What model is it? I currently use a Dogtra T&B 2 dog unit and like it. My dogs are not horizon busters--I mostly hunt grouse--they go 100-150 yds, but will stretch out in open areas. I use the locator function and vibration recall buttons. I dont even know how to turn the beeper function on , and never use the "shock" buttons. I never felt the need for a GPS before, but it would give great piece of mind.
I have a theory as to what happened to Doodle. We were hunting a big cattail slough, and the lake was frozen solid. The snow was laying heavy over mounds of cattails, creating virtual snow caves and tunnels that the birds could run and hold underneath. The dogs, and us, were having difficulty crashing through. I think Doodle got trapped down underneath these mounds and I couldnt hear the beeper. We were there for hours looking, so I really dont know. I am going to do a little on line research today, and probably call Collar Clinic for their recommendations. Got a bunch of guns that I havent shot in years, so may sell to fund the project.
Unread 01-25-2023, 01:00 PM   #15
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,246 Times in 617 Posts

Harold,

I currently use the Alpha 100 with a compatible collar.

Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2023, 06:28 PM   #16
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold, Stories like yours and the others mentioned on this thread scare the heck out of me. A number of years ago one of our Griffs developed epilepsy and would occasionally have grand mal seizures with little to no warning. I was always concerned it would happen while in the uplands, and confused, he might take off in the wrong direction. A good friend told me that a satellite collar is like insurance and he was right. They're not perfect but I use the Garmin Astro 430 with the big collar (in the photo) and also use a Dogtra training collar with a beeper that I only use manually if I'm trying to locate the dog on point. Many folks think I over do it by strapping on all that hardware to the dog. But it gives me a piece of mind. I exercise and train the dog(s) at least 5 days a week in the off season and they never leave the house or work off leash with out them. When the collars go on they know it's "fun" time! And the equipment is beat up but stll works like a charm.
These are just my thoughts and I absolutely respect those who prefer no electronics and rely on eyesight or a bell.
BTW- Been hunting SD the last 16 years. We go in November and the weather this year was the most hellacious we've encountered. Lathered the dogs with mushers wax every day. My wife calls and asks how much snow we had on any given day. How the heck do I know! Snow doesn't "fall" in SD, it blows sideways. The corn field could be bare in spots and then a 12 foot drift in the ditch next to the road that you can't get through...still love it tho...
So pleased your pup was located.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arcas 2022 w Collars.jpg (520.6 KB, 5 views)
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2023, 11:44 PM   #17
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold I use the Alpha 200i track and train system. I had the Astro 100, then the Alpha 200. The 200i has a very clear screen. Just a hint go to a local phone repair shop and buy a impact glass screen protector like you use on a cell phone. I don't recall which one I got but the shop I do business with told me the one that fit was for an older iPhone and they just gave me the protector. 4 years old and my screen is like new.
The system is not cheap but it should last at least 10 years. Antennas, collar straps, and batteries are all replaceable. I also went one step further and riveted on brass tags with my contact info just in case.
Best dog insurance you can buy. I know at times prior to getting my systems especially if you loose your dog overnight. I would have paid a $1000 to get my dog back and know he was safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2023, 08:53 AM   #18
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,773 Times in 2,006 Posts

Handsome Griff, Chris!
Spent some time looking at GPS collars yesterday, and the 200i looks like the way to go Phil.
Surprized to find that the hand unit and collar are not sold as a unit, but sold separately. Season is over for me now , so I'd like to get a hands on view/demo of the collars.
As for SoDak weather, we were there the same week last year(3rd) and there was no snow at all, just quite cold. Still, we will be back the same time next year
Unread 01-26-2023, 10:13 AM   #19
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harold if you search for Garmin 200i bundle you will find a number of Gog supply companies carry bundles. The TT15 mini collar is nice, although I actually own the regular size collar. My hunting partner has the mini’s and they work just as well.
The nice thing about the 200i it also has some great features like InReach. Even if you are not using this unit on your dogs it doubles as a normal handheld GPS.
There are many things you can do with this unit but I just use it mainly for three things. Where is my truck, where is my dog, and is he on point?
I have attached a couple of pictures where my dog Scout feel into a 30 foot very narrow crevice. If not for the GPS Things could have turned out much worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95C02BB6-3C0D-46DF-9B2C-63541035C65D.jpg (534.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 982EED1F-4EB3-44D1-A2A9-C9A49A97BA73.jpg (488.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg E037CAF7-ECC4-4730-9401-7F529CE4E631.jpg (520.4 KB, 0 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 01-27-2023, 03:15 PM   #20
Kentucky Bird Hunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Harold, I totally second the feelings of others in regards to GPS collars. Mine is a Garmin Alpha 100 with the TT15 regular collar. My boy, Beau, is never off the leash without that collar on. He is also whistle-broke, so I often don't even need to use the unit to locate him, but it sure is nice to have. I primarily use it to track him, his points, and getting back to the truck after beating through the popple groves in Northern Michigan.

I hunt with a few buddies who only use a bell and/or a whistle on their dogs, and I would never disparage those methods and I admire the folks who use them. However, the peace of mind that the GPS collar offers me is way more important than its cost or that I'm using technology.

I don't know if you ever purchase from Gun Dog Supply, but the owner, Steve, has some awesome videos to discuss GPS collars. Check it out here: https://www.gundogsupply.com/search2...lpha+100+combo

I have no connection to GDS, nor do I want to offend anyone or the rules of the Forum, but just wanted to help a fellow avoid the unbelievably frantic feeling of losing a dog for any period of time, let alone overnight.

If you want to get together sometime to see how I use mine on Beau, I am currently living in my childhood home in Columbiana, Ohio, not far from you. I moved there temporarily after the tornado destroyed my Kentucky farm.

Dave

-Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, America's 7th President
Dave Tatman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Tatman For Your Post: