Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Cowboy BP 8 & 10 loads
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Dutch Dalton
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Cowboy BP 8 & 10 loads

I'm bringing this over from my other thread to gain insight from you 'old hands' to see if I've crossed the line into the 'unethical.' Some previous threads noting the old books show an 8 shouldn't be fed more than 4 1/2 drams of BP. As you see, I run on FPS since I don't have any type of pressure instrument available. I've also seen some remarks about Laminated Steel being the weakest offered by Parker (that's what the 8 is noted by 'Letter'). Thus far, I'm still here to write of these issues.

"The 10 is 1 3/8 square, Federal hull, 1 fiber wad plus the overs and unders, roll crimped. Gives me about 93 grains by weight of 2F Goex.
That's about 3 1/2 drams if I figure it right.

The 8 is 1 5/8 square, Remington industrial, 1 1/2 fiber plus overs and unders. 'Tis a heavy hull, slight roll crimp, wouldn't dare try a star crimp. Gives me about 112 grains by weight of 2F Goex. So its not quite the ground shaker you and my fellow club members imagined. My math figures I could add another 50 grs. to be exciting!! I'm using 7.5's, SASS allows #4's right!!

Chrono'd both, and they are running 1080 FPS. The 8 being a 7 frame, has a side wall thickness of .277. Me thinks that would handle a mild load. No doubt Brad will give me insight. The 10 bores are so clean on a 3 frame (no pitting) I ran with that too. I have lots of room to add powder and shot!! In the Forum info, I should maybe look into patterns and the like. The Full chokes, may be stripping off the wads to avoid any holes."

Thanks for your responses,
DD
Ron Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote