Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker GH 10 Gauge Info and Value
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
BorderGuard
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Parker GH 10 Gauge Info and Value

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on your forum and I'll admit, I'm kind of out of my element here. I generally collect Savage 99's and Top-break Smith & Wessons, but I recently came across this Parker Bros. double barrel, and I'm hoping someone here can help me out. Thanks to your website, I think I have figured out what it is, but I'm not sure of the value. It's a 10 gauge and I believe it's a GH Model with Damascus barrels on a size 3 frame, manufactured in 1897 with a weight of 51.5 ounces and 32" barrels???? Can anyone verify this from the attached photos? What do the letters 'D' and 'C' stand for on the barrel flat? Can anyone tell me if the recoil pad is factory? Also, can anyone give me a ballpark value? The guy who owns it had it appraised, but in this area, I don't think there's many that know much about these shotguns and I'm thinking the guy went to the Blue Book, as he appraised it at $2500. To me, that seems like a pretty generous appraisal compared to the few I've been able to find on the auction sites, but maybe I'm missing something on this particular shotgun. Any help you Parker experts can give me is appreciated and I thank you in advance for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker 1.JPG (81.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 4.JPG (76.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 5.JPG (44.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 6.JPG (65.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 7.JPG (72.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 3.JPG (74.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 11.JPG (59.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 8.JPG (71.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 9.JPG (76.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 10.JPG (73.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Parker 12.JPG (86.5 KB, 14 views)
Randy Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Schell For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Randy,

The BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES lists a value of around $2500 for a low condition GH Parker. Values are hard without the gun in hand but as a collector of 10 gauge Parkers I would not offer $2500 for this E grade. The "E" on the watertable is the grade. E was used for 10 gauge Grade 2 Parkers. Later G replaced the E's.

For a value comparison, please look at this GHE 12 that has been up for auction/sale for a couple months.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=278192456
This is what appears to be a fairly high condition Grade 2 ejector gun in 12 gauge for $1900. I've bought from the seller and while he doesn't give away guns, his prices are reasonable. 12 gauges are easier to sell than 10 gauges. Ejector guns command a higher price by 25-50% than extractor guns. The wood on this gun is in good condition. The Damascus pattern is visible and if original, very visible. The "D" on your barrel flat is for Damascus.

On the subject EH (H is for the Hammerless Action) the head of the stock is split. A repair will be about $200, maybe less. There may be a split on the right side of the stock from the butt to the grip. A positive factor is that the buttstock has a lot of figure in it.

The barrels look to have flecking over their entirety. I hope the bores are not the same. If the bores are like mirrors and haven't been honed to achieve their present smoothness that would be another plus. Do the barrels still have at least .030" constrictions (chokes)?

So, how much would it bring? Maybe $1000 but probably $800. The gun does have a lot of potential. Have the Damascus pattern redone for $400, Repair, refinish, and rechecker the wood, $500 (higher or lower), and install a new pad ($100 for the correct to the period pad) and for a $1000 investment you will have a gun that looks great. Unfortunately it will be a few years before a gun such as that will fetch around $2000. The gun market is showing signs of rising in values just as is the stock market... I have several E grades in good original condition which I’d be hard pressed to receive $2000 for today.

Or, you could repair the stock yourself if you can read and follow directions and are a decent gunsmith, and replace the pad and have a nice "shooter". Just repairing the stock and a careful light cleaning of the gun’s exterior will bring the gun into a shooting or selling condition.

PS: The #3 frame size is the most common for Parker 10 gauges. If it were a #2 or #4 then it would be a little rare and be of higher value to some collectors.

I hope this helps,
Mark

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Ouellette For Your Post:
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

IMHO the gun would sit along time on a shelf for $2,500.00. The D is for Damascus the 5 15 is the unstruck barrel weight c I think is a inspectors mark The Hu or Ho in Huffman is my last name. The stock is pulling away from the frame,The value I would say would be 1,200.
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,142 Times in 3,639 Posts

That old gun would like nice beside my GH 16 gauge damascus
Unread 03-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,171 Times in 4,896 Posts

If there were ever a factory original Silvers pad on a Damascus ten gauge, that may be the one. The next owner may prefer to have that old pad on the gun rather than a replacement. The stock should be repaired invisibly rather than with a pin through the stock head. It is known as the staple method and has been demonstrated on various internet sites. A PGCA letter may add some information about the original purchaser and the pad.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
BorderGuard
Forum Associate

Member Info

Guys, thanks so much for the informative replies. It really helps. So, this shotgun is an 'EH' Model with extractors, and not ejectors, correct? It looks like the inside of the barrel is shiny and with my micrometer, the muzzle end measures .0735", if that makes any sense to anyone. Also, what is the Parker Special Steel barrel? Is that a type of damascus barrel or is it a whole different thing altogether? These barrels are damascus and not the Parker Special Steel, correct??? Were the Special Steel only found on the 'GH' model, or also on the 'EH'? And lastly, is there a chance that the buttpad came from the factory? It looks like there are hole covers in the rubber that would line up with the screws in the factory buttplate from what I've seen in some auction pictures that show the "Dogshead" buttplates. Thanks again everyone for your replies, and I look forward to anymore information anyone can supply.

Randy
Randy Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

"Parker Special Steel" is the type of fluid steel they used on GH(E) Parkers and yes your Parker has Damascus Steel and not the more modern fluid steel. I would think there is a very good chance the butt pad is original, a PGCA letter may provide the definitive answer.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

youve got a fine old parker there..its in better shape than a lot of them out there...it looks like a good shooter to have fun with and enjoy... i shoot a p grade in not much if any shape than yours for 30 years or better...im gonna let the next fello that looks after it pretty it up.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Ruff Hunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

What's the length of pull (distance in inches) from the front trigger to the end of the stock wood, not counting the spacer or pad? It might just be the angle of the photo, but the stock looks like it might be a bit short to me. It sould be right around 13" to the end of the wood. Much less and its been cut, which is not a good thing where value is concerned.
I agree with BFT's analysis of value, and think he may even be a bit on the high side in light of the problems at the head end of the stock.
Justin Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,925 Times in 870 Posts

If you do have the head of the stock fixed, take a look at this link and read about the preferred method to fix it; it is an invisible repair. Some gunsmiths will want to drill and pin the split but that really looks soooo obvious. Fine a gunsmith that will do it so it is invisible and you will be much happier with the results!

http://parkerguns.org/pages/faq/FAQs...k%20Repair.pdf
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote