PDA

View Full Version : Why I turkey hunt

Ray Masciarella
03-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I've taken nearly 100 gobblers but the best hunts have always been those where I called one in for my boys, Ray and Anthony.

The first photo is Ray's first and the second photo is his latest taken on Sat. It was his 14th gobbler.

The third photos is Anthony's first and his latest taken on Sat. It was his
19th gobbler. One of the few things he beats his big brother at!!!

charlie cleveland
03-04-2013, 08:05 PM
ray you have got a turkey hunting family for sure...really nice photo s...are you hunting in florida...hope you get to hang no 100 on the wall before long...charlie

Dean Romig
03-04-2013, 09:15 PM
They're pretty lucky to have you Ray! What a legacy you've given them.

Dean

Ray Masciarella
03-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Charlie

I always told the boys I want to get 100 before I go but I better stop at 99 so I don't send myself off too soon!

Best, Ray

charlie cleveland
03-05-2013, 02:42 PM
ray do them boys of yours shoot thatgun of yours...im still trying to beat your score but aint got close yet.... charlie

Mills Morrison
03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
100 turkeys is extremely impressive. My goal for this season is to get my son Harry to sit still and be quiet. I also want to go more than I did last season.

Ray Masciarella
03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Charlie, they have their own guns that are about just as good. In a 10" circle at 40 yards, my average pellet count is about 315. Raymond's is about 305. Right now I'm building a new gun for Anthony now that he can shoot a full size gun. The load has never been a problem for him but he is just getting to where he can handle a 14 1/4" LOP. Hope his gun doesn't turn out better than mine!!!

Mills, here is how you do it. Hunt 30 days a season for about 20 years and you'll get close like me!!!! Do the math-the failure rate is high!!!! But there is nothing better than hanging around with Harry, right?

Bill Murphy
03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Ray, are you hunting on public land? What kind of access do you have and what kind of interference do you experience on the land you hunt? Thanks.

Ray Masciarella
03-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Bill, I'm fortunate enough to have access to private land most of the time. There is huge demand for the Osceola from all those fellas trying to get their grand slam. Public land hunting is actually very good but one must get back deep into the areas as the areas of easy access are very over crowded. Makes for poor hunting and is dangerous. These birds were taken on a lease I have had for several years and I have done my best to manage it. Try to only take gobblers 3 years and up. Last year we took three birds with spurs 1 1/2" to 1 3/4 tho Osceola tend to have longer spurs than easterns. Nevertheless, last years birds were exceptional.

Richard Flanders
03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
100?? I'm still hoping for my first turkey...!

Ray Masciarella
03-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Richard, hop in that red plane of yours and get down here. We'll run one of those rascals down for you!

Mills Morrison
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Here is my wing bone call made by my friend and head of Quality Deer Management Association, Joe Hamilton. Made from a turkey I shot in West Georgia

charlie cleveland
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
rich you better get that red bird warmed up and get one of them tight choked 10 ga s and get on down there pronto.. ray what part of florida do you hunt... charlie

Ray Masciarella
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Charlie,

Martin, Okeechobee and Highlands counties. More or less south, central FL. We have a lot of turkeys but they ain't always easy to get to and they are never easy to kill. I had one of those rascals at 10 yards yesterday and he didn't go home in the back of the truck!!

Best, ray

charlie cleveland
03-07-2013, 08:09 PM
that hurts .... i have a friend that lives at lake okeechbee..mite get down that way someday...i too hunt nearly everday of the season some years very good some years hard to get that bird...i ve been hunting turkeys since 1963 and still got a lot to learn..been toting a ten gage most of them years but now if i had a 12 that shot like a 8 i mite be tempted to....ha our youth season starts this coming saturday will be next saturday before i can tote a gun.... good luck charlie

Richard Flanders
03-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Maybe if I left today I'd make it by NEXT season at the speed my plane goes! That would be fun for sure.

Ray Masciarella
03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Richard

Then you better fuel up and get started now to make sure you get here on time. Season opens the first weekend in March. You have plenty of time so dont get a ticket. We will make sure we save you one!