PDA

View Full Version : turkey gun

charlie cleveland
03-01-2013, 05:22 PM
ive really had a problem these last few days trying to decide on which gun to carry the first day of the turkey season...i shot the 8 ga parker today the fa loomis 8 ga the 10 ga ithaca mag the stevens 12 ga 3 1/2 inch double and the 10 ga parker..i like all these guns and either one of them will kill turkeys...but for handleing and shooting the 10 ga parker won out today...it will out pattern the 12 ga gun real bad at any distance from 35 steps to 70 steps...the 8 ga s shoot large shot really well but theres always that weight factor...the 10 ga parker weighs iun at 9 1/4 lbs and the parker 8 weighs 13 1/2 and the old loomis 8 ga comes in at 15 lbs loaded......its hard to beat that old parker 10 ga for balance it handles like a gun weighing 7 1/2 lbs...and the old 10 ga really shoots 12 ga loads good thru those gage mate adapters...unbelievable good patterns at 50 steps with shooting the 12 ga shells in the old ten... so for now i will carry the old ten ga parker but after the first turkey if i get one i will hunt with the other guns... boy what a problem a man has trying to choose what gun to hunt with... charlie

Mills Morrison
03-01-2013, 05:29 PM
I have been patterning guns and the 10 gauge Parker G hammergun is leading the pack so far. Going to try the NH and my other 12 gauge PH this weekend, so we will see. Could be some competition for the G. I am trying to get more organized with preparation this year.

charlie cleveland
03-01-2013, 06:35 PM
mills sounds like your in the same boat im in trying to decide which gun to use...one thing for sure its a lot of fun patterning these old guns...ive always leaned to the big ga guns but someday i may try the smaller ga guns but for now will shoot the 12 s and bigger..my dad use to hunt with a old fellow who said dont shoot them turkeys past 35 yards...i musta not listened to him... charlie

Mills Morrison
03-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Try telling the turkeys that. They will just stop at 36 yards.

Mills Morrison
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I might also try Julia's grandfather's PHE 12 gauge. I know for a fact her Dad got a turkey with it.

Mills Morrison
03-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Here is my turkey hunting buddy

charlie cleveland
03-01-2013, 11:56 PM
mighty nice looking hunting pard you got there... charlie

Harold Lee Pickens
03-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Charlie, I feel your pain! I often find myself staring into the gun safe and wondering which gun to take into the uplands. Should I take the old reliable--my VH 16 or that pretty little VH 20. But what about all those Foxes, those SW 16 and 20's that are so comfortable to carry or the old Fox A grade 16. Ther's that Durston Special Lefever 20 w/ ejectors that a friend wants me to sell to him. The decision can be agonizing. I have never shot a turkey with a double, but this year may have to carry the Francotte because it is choked M & F.

charlie cleveland
03-02-2013, 11:49 AM
yep harold your are in the same boat with mills and me... you ll never regret taking the old double turkey hunting.use small shot for up close head shot and a no 2 or 4 for a back up shot...do you ever look on the old shell boxes that list the size of the shot for the game...only large shot was recommended a 100years ago...bb s and no 2 s...alas our state of miss.. only allows no 2 s or smaller...i liked those bb loads in the 10 ga... you know the problem of choosing a gun to hunt with just keeps on plageing us hunters..after the first days hunt i have to choose again do i use the parker 10 again or the lc smith 10 or the lefever 10 or the parker d grade 10 or the old parker hammer 10 with plain steel barrels or the old ithaca mag 10..boy what a problem....and thens theres that urge to want kill a turkey with all the differant ga s made...i guess i really like having these problems.... charlie

John Farrell
03-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Charlie - you've gone and got me interested in humping my 8lb 9oz DHE #3 frame gun down to my blind along the river in April. I think I'll stash the rest of my gear in the ambush spot the day or two before so I only have to carry the gun in. Man-o-man! If I kill a bird and have to carry it and the gun out, then go back to get the rest of the stash I'm gonna be in tough shape by the end of the day. But, happy!!!

charlie cleveland
03-02-2013, 06:22 PM
john when you pull that trigger on that big gobbler it will be worth all that planning and totin...them 3 frames are a lot of gun and im glad ive got one...i believe youve got a good idea take most of the gear in a day or two early... charlie

Mills Morrison
03-03-2013, 03:27 PM
The winners of my patterning tests are . . . my 3 frame toplever 10 gauge and PH 12. Tons of turkey tracks where I set up my patterning board. Also a big flock this morning when I went out to scout. All of this at Dad's place.

charlie cleveland
03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
mills hope you get a big gobbler with that big ten...i just came in form pattewrning some more shells in the parker 10...i was using the gauge mates and the shells were winchester extended range 12 ga 3 inch shells no 6 shot... at 50 steps it would average 10 shot in a dr pepper can...i shot it 3 times also tried a 20 ga and a 16 gaat the 50 step line..this is to far for the smaller guns to make a clean kill...i want my gobbler to come in as close as he will but i will not be affraid to take a head shot at 50 steps.... foir my secound shot im going to choose a no 2 in the old peters blue paper hull...will also use some of petes reloading info on the 1 1/2 ounce.... i have a lot of fun patterning these differant loads.... charlie

Mills Morrison
03-03-2013, 07:06 PM
uty ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhH

ynjnfHBNbr nERDF0GJGHWRKZOZX

Mills Morrison
03-04-2013, 01:01 PM
All right. It looks like my kids have got on the computer again. Sorry about the last post.