PDA

View Full Version : Variations in ribs

John Havard
02-19-2013, 05:28 PM
If this has been exhaustively covered in the past I apologize ahead of time. But I did a search and found no discussion on the topic of variations in Parker barrel rib shapes.

We know that there were variations in engraved words versus roll-stamped words. There were different words over time. Words described the type of steel used in the barrels. There were elevated ribs. Somewhere along the line the old squiggly-line engraving machine used so beautifully was retired. My question isn't about any of those variations.

What I want to learn a bit more about is the variation in the SHAPE of ribs that more experienced members have seen: swamped, level, wide, narrow, tapered, other? Were such shapes specified in the original order or did the customer simply receive what the factory sent?

Any light shed on this topic would be appreciated by yours truly.

Brian Dudley
02-19-2013, 05:37 PM
One thing that I have observed about lower ribs is that earlier ones are narrower and much more pronounced. Early hammer type guns will have a thicker lower rib with a sharp bevel on the edges. A bit later the lower ribs would have the same shape, but not be as thick and later guns will have a wider more dished lower rib that is not very thick.

Bill Murphy
02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Scarce and interesting are the tapered ribs. Even more interesting is that they don't seem to normally be installed at customer request on order book entries. Just as scarce, maybe even more so, are the flat ribs known as "pigeon ribs".

John Havard
02-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Bill, do you have any photos showing either? I've never heard of a pigeon rib. What makes it different from a normal flat rib?

One other question Bill: since the shape of the rib doesn't seem to be mentioned in the order book entries was the shape ultimately up to the whim of the barrel worker putting the set of barrels together? That seems both odd and interesting at the same time.

Bill Murphy
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Flat wide solid ribs are what are called "pigeon ribs". I have not seen a Parker flat rib that was not wide, but they may exist. Flat solid ribs were probably requested. However, I have not seen a request on an order book entry for a tapered rib. Tapered ribs are not rare, but are very elegant. I have no idea how the matting machine was used to process a tapered rib. I will take a close look at one and comment, or someone else may examine theirs and comment.

edgarspencer
02-20-2013, 12:20 PM
I have no idea how the matting machine was used to process a tapered rib.
That raises an interesting question (in my mind, anyway). Has anyone ever seen the roll die used on that mysterious matting machine? Was it's circumference equal to the length of the rib, i.e. was the whole pattern, including blank space, and maybe even the ending bar, included on the rim of the die?

Bill Murphy
02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Certain gunsmithing firms claim to own or have owned the machine. I wonder if any of us are in a position to examine and photograph one of the machines?

Bill Murphy
02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Look in googlebooks for The American Machinist July 10, 1913, pages in the forties, for a full description of the building of Parker barrels, including pictures of the machines used in the various operations. In my research files, I have descriptions and inventories of these machines, but I have never seen pictures. The article describes the "one line at a time" procedure and also the procedure used to skip the cutter over the rib inscription and the end of the rib. Unbelievable.

Chuck Heald
02-20-2013, 02:52 PM
I've never seen an Parker upper rib that was not tapered. But then, I haven't seen as many Parkers as some of you. Can someone post a picture and description of what was meant by rib that is NOT "tapered"?

Bill Murphy
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
A "tapered rib" on a Parker usually describes a rib that is rather severely tapered, like from 7/16" at the breech to less than 1/4" at the muzzle, a 3/16" taper over the length of the barrel. The normal taper of a Parker rib is more like 1/2" at the breech to 7/16" at the muzzle, a taper of only 1/16" over the length of the barrel.

edgarspencer
02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Bill, John, and others;
This got me thinking so I just measured a few of mine.
DHE16/1/30" .500-.285
VHE16/0/28" .535-.395
VH 16/1/26" .535-.405 (seems to be the same rib as the VHE16, as that
measures .405 at 2" back from the muzzle)
GH/16/1 2Bbl set
/30" .485-.355
/28" .485-.385
VH 20/0/28" .560-.350
BHE12/1.5/28" .535-.395
DH12/1/28" .560-.385
DHE12/1.5/30" .535-.380

The .560 on the 0 frame 20 is an anomally, but that's a 1900 gun.
The DHE16 must be what is called a 'tapered' rib.

Another thing I never noticed is my dad's VH16 has no termination, but it's in the book as a 26" , and he bought it new in Meriden. Maybe it was one built for stock and cut down to 26" before it every left the factory.
I didn't measure the hammer guns.

John Truitt
02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Parker also produced raised flat solid ribs. Raised as in vent rib height.

Eric Eis
02-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Scarce and interesting are the tapered ribs. Even more interesting is that they don't seem to normally be installed at customer request on order book entries. Just as scarce, maybe even more so, are the flat ribs known as "pigeon ribs".

Very strange is a flat rib on an 8 ga. Yeap got one and it letters out. My question is why ?

E Robert Fabian
02-20-2013, 09:22 PM
This is my CH 30" 12 Flat Rib

Ed Blake
02-20-2013, 09:23 PM
These are pictures of my flat-rib DH. 30" barrels, double beads, straight grip. It's a nice shooting gun.

Dean Romig
02-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Parker also produced raised flat solid ribs. Raised as in vent rib height.

Yes! Those are my favorites!

John Havard
02-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Ed, did either of your PGCA letters report that flat ribs were specified by the purchaser?

Dean or John, do either of you have a photo of a flat raised rib? That must be up there quite high!

Ed Blake
02-21-2013, 06:57 AM
John, my gun is not in the book, or are records available. It's one of those guns around 1900 for which the records are lost. It's safe to say the flat rib was a special order. The gun is a #2 frame, but has a slim grip and is about 7.5 lbs.

John Truitt
02-21-2013, 08:52 AM
I will take pics of mine tonight and post.
This is a special custom order rib. In fact the whole gun was custom in many ways.
Its a 34" rasied flat rib that tapers/ narrows towards the muzzle.

Bruce Day
02-21-2013, 09:17 AM
OK, here are a couple from the safe, both D 20's. Two issues are present:
first you see the width of the tapered rib is less than the standard rib. At the breech end, the ribs are the same width. Second, you see the matting termination on one is back from the end leaving about 1/4" unmatted. On the second, the matting termination is at the end with only a straight line across. Both are original length, not cut, not dressed with a file.

The tapered rib variation is not dependent on barrel length, I have them on 28's, 30's and 32's. My oldest tapered rib is a 1905 C Bernard with Bernard rib, newest a 1939. They may have begun prior to 1905. They are not grade dependent, I've seen them on V's. Some have surmised they were late developments, but that is not so.

I am informed that sometimes tapered or standard ribs were specified, however on all of mine with tapered ribs, the records do not specify. I have not conducted nor had conducted any specific research into the records looking for tapered ribs.

I like the looks of them but do not think they make any difference in use. We discussed this with several people at Pheasant Fest and will likely do so again at the NRA. People can sight down and see if it makes any difference to them.

Bill Murphy
02-21-2013, 10:25 AM
The narrowest front end of a tapered rib I have seen is less than .250. It is a 32" 12 gauge barrel. I have the build card for that gun, with special features that cover both sides of the card, but no sign of a request for a tapered rib. Pictures of the build card and the gun is on page 51 of the Double Gun Journal, Volume 8, Issue 1. By the way, a high flat solid rib gun is pictured in The Parker Story, probably in the Grades section under C Grades. I lived with that wonderful gun in the showcase at The Gentleman Hunter store for months and didn't bite the bullet.

Ed Blake
02-21-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm glad Doc Truitt is posting pics of that rib. Great gun, one of my favorites.

E Robert Fabian
02-21-2013, 12:00 PM
I did get a letter on my CH and there was not any mention of the rib either.

David Noble
02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Since there is no mention of the type of rib in the order books (other than ventilated ribs)
I wonder if the different types of ribs were used to adjust the weight of the barrels or balance point of the gun? Tapered ribs would seemingly be lighter towards the end than standard or wider ribs.

John Truitt
02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Guys forgive me but I cant seem to get my pictures on here.
Can I email them to someone more computer savy?
7 pics total of the rib.

The rib measures 34" length, 7/32" wide at the tip (top of the rib), 15/32" wide at the breach (top of the rib), and is 5/16" high/ above the barrels.
Letter states ordered with "special flat rib" charge was $5 for the rib.

The next weirdest rib I have is on the 34" 16 ga VH.
This rib is 34" in length, 7/32" wide at the tip (top again), 15/32" wide at the breach (top again), and swamps like a big dog or more like a saddle back horse.

John Havard
02-21-2013, 11:56 PM
John, a 34" 16-gauge VH?? Wow!

Eric Eis
02-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Since there is no mention of the type of rib in the order books (other than ventilated ribs)
I wonder if the different types of ribs were used to adjust the weight of the barrels or balance point of the gun? Tapered ribs would seemingly be lighter towards the end than standard or wider ribs.

There is mention of ribs besides vent ribs. My 8 ga was ordered with a flat rib, straight stock, pad and 34" barrels. All was noted in the stock book andor order book

John Havard
02-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Here are some of the photos from Doc Truitt: