PDA

View Full Version : Winner, Winner -- Chicken Dinner!


Garry L Gordon
10-09-2026, 07:01 AM
Life doesn't always go as planned, but when it does, it makes for a bucket list check-off.

Because of the generosity of my friend and fellow PGCA member, Dean Weber, I spent two glorious (but hot!) days on the South Dakota prairie chasing prairie chickens. I'd tried for chickens over the years in Kansas, for Greaters in the Flint Hills and on the Cimmarron Grasslands trying for Lessers back when they could be hunted. I wanted birds taken on walking hunts -- with dogs, not pass shooting on the edge of crop fields. Chickens are special, the places they live are special...and hunting them is...well...just different.

I was hunting with fiends of Dean's and with an outfitter who knows his chickens. While I'd read much about hunting prairie chickens, and spent some boot leather chasing them (unsuccessfully, I might add), I quickly learned that what I thought I knew was...just, plain wrong. I learned that the best way to consistently get chickens in the air within range was to scout them like big game...and to go later in the day when they were "sleeping." This approach could be the subject of a dissertation, and I was the student in the evenings at "Chicken Camp" taking it all in.

It was really too hot for my dogs, but I was graced with a couple of opportunities to walk the vast mid-grass prairie with my dog, Rill, and my friend, Dean. And while those outings did not produce chickens in the game bag, they will be the times I will take with me to wherever it is that old bird hunters go after that last hunt.

Photos:

1. We are graced with very little light pollution in our North Missouri, but the South Dakota night sky is worth the price of admission, especially nice when the coyotes provide a soundtrack. The air is dry and fresh...always.

2. As a student of the prairie, I have read accounts of settlers having gone mad from the vastness of the space, but for me it makes meaning. I won't forget walking the grass with Dean and my little Rill, trying to get far enough ahead of a point to get within range when they flushed. The only sound is the swish of grass against your boots.

3. Hunting with the rest of the group meant walking the line across the prairie. There's much to cover, and I quickly learned, much to my chagrin, that I was an old man walking with younger guys. We marched in formation and scoured fields much larger than a section. It was an eye opening experience to walk the line and flush birds just often enough to make you expectant. There's a lot of room out there!

4. Dean and I were the only double gun users on the hunt. It was satisfying to get within range of chickens and watch them fall to our Parkers. Dean used a sweet little 16, and my gun of choice was an 1897 BHE 12 choked tightly to be able to reach its one ounce load of copper 6s for what proved to be long shooting.

5. How rare is this(!?) -- a limit of chickens taken with a small gauge gun from another century. Dean shot a Holland and Holland 16 the first day, but used his little Parker on day 2. He said he shot it better. I'd say he did.

6. This is the real hunt -- to get a chance at a prairie bird over a point from your own dog. If you're wondering -- yes -- Elaine was with us and kept her camera busy...and the dogs well cared for.

7. The last night at chicken camp. Time to linger at the truck with the dogs and try to take it all in.

Dan Steingraber
10-09-2026, 07:59 AM
Absolutely amazing. This is exactly what “we” live for. Incredibly happy for your beautiful and bountiful hunt.

Rick Roemer
10-09-2026, 08:35 AM
Great job. I have never even seen a Prairie Chicken. Would love the opportunity someday. Is that the Chicken Short Bus? You really did "go to chicken school" HA

Andrew Sacco
10-09-2026, 08:41 AM
As always just amazing photos! How do those puppies taste Garry??

Garry L Gordon
10-09-2026, 09:13 AM
Rick, the chicken bus was an adventure. I have three disk replacements in my neck, and after one particularly rough ride, I found two on the floor :shock:

We had some breast meat pounded, seasoned, and grilled, Andy. They were good. The breasts are rather dark.

Andrew Sacco
10-09-2026, 09:21 AM
Congrats on a great hunt. Hang on to your discs, they can always be put back hahahha

Mike Koneski
10-09-2026, 09:30 AM
Awesome!! I head to Kansas in November and chicken is on the hit list. Your photos have me looking forward to a great hunt in some beautiful grasslands. Thanks Garry!

Dave Tatman
10-09-2026, 03:51 PM
Congrats on a great educational hunt, Garry! And we are always grateful for your gifted writing and Elaine’s exceptional photography skills!

Thanks,
Dave

Bill Murphy
10-09-2026, 04:22 PM
Wow, what a hunt. An ideal place to try out my 34" 12 gauge DH.

Garry L Gordon
10-09-2026, 04:52 PM
Wow, what a hunt. An ideal place to try out my 34" 12 gauge DH.

Bill, if you can carry that wonderful gun over 6-8 miles at the ready, you will love chicken hunting.

My BHE is a 1 frame gun and weighs just a smidgen under 7 1/2 lbs. The Outfitter says to be prepared for shots beyond 45 yards. I only took “make able” shots. The guys with autoloaders threw lots of lead. They killed more birds…but not with the same “style” as Dean and I.

Rick Roemer
10-09-2026, 06:25 PM
Style is so paramount. Love it

Garry L Gordon
10-10-2026, 06:57 AM
"Mum" is always the word from Chicken Camp, as I have learned from my more experienced brethren. So, the story of what we had for dinner one night was going to go with me to my grave...until I received word that I could relate the story for the benefit of those of the Chicken Hunting Fraternity.

Walking the line with my companions of the chase, always at the end of the phalanx so that I could observe all of the action, I was startled to see the guide's "pack" of dogs start a jackrabbit. The call "rabbit!!" went up, along with "shoot!!" from the guide. This reporter saw it all unfold. A quick draw artist from the center of the line was on the jack immediately and it tumbled and was pounced upon by the entire host of dogs. There developed much debate among the dogs about just who should get this prize, which seemed a bit frayed around the edges by the time it was brought to hand. (The dogs are basically there to find dead birds -- not an easy task in the dry conditions.) From my vantage, and my experience, it was a surprise to see a non-target species shot in front of -- and pretty close to -- "bird" dogs.

At the end of the walk there was a reckoning. The participants were soundly brought up on charges of endangerment to dogs, and wanton wasteful use of game. Much palaver ensued...and lasted through to dinner.

Along with my excellently prepared chicken breast at dinner that night, was a nugget of something -- browned on the outside, and pink within. The flavor was rich...the texture, well, let's just say as I chewed...and chewed...I thought that I might be able to blow a bubble, it was so much like the baseball card gum I remember from my childhood.

So, now you, too, know what transpired at Chicken Camp. Remember, what happens in Chicken Camp, must stay in Chicken Camp.

(A photo I forgot to post earlier. "Two Gun" Dean (ask him for his movie reference) took up with my dogs quickly, and they to him. Not much place to rest in the shade on an expanse that goes to the horizon without a tree in sight. Rill stopped to rest in her "Uncle Dean's" shadow on this very hot day. Always good to be with a "dog man" on a hunt...so now you might know who took the rabbit shooter to task...and demanded the jack be prepared and served for dinner.)