PDA

View Full Version : Trojan Chamber Length


Jim Seufert
09-28-2026, 07:58 PM
First of all, thank you for having me. I just learned about your forum.

My Dad's 1915 Parker Trojan, sn 169xxx was used extensively in the 1930's. Taken out of service 12/7/1941 and not used again until the 1960's when I came of age.

Originally used with paper shells, we disposed of all the old ones when I started shooting. So I don't know what those were. Since then it was used only with 2 3/4" 1 oz. deer slugs.

I recently read an article about how some old doubles had short chambers and should not be used with current 2 3/4" hulls. I'm writing to learn what the chamber length actually is, if known.

The last time it was fired was in 2005 when Dad got his last deer. As an interesting side note, every deer Dad ever got was with this very shotgun. For the last 13 years I have been its caretaker, and it will go to his Grandson when the time comes.

Not likely I'll shoot it much, but I did want to be sure if I could safely blast a few on Dad's birthday along with a few of his others.

TIA for any help you guys can provide...

Jim Seufert
09-28-2026, 08:04 PM
Forgot to add pics...

David Livesay
09-28-2026, 08:19 PM
I'm far from an expert, but if you have been shooting 2&3/4-inch shells in it for many years without any issues, it probably has 2&5/8 chambers that were designed for 2&3/4-inch shells.

Brian Dudley
09-28-2026, 08:32 PM
Your trojan should be just fine to shoot 2-3/4” plastic hull target loads.

Ira Whitten
09-29-2026, 08:19 AM
As Dave said, I’m not an expert but isn’t it a little dangerous to be shooting modern deer slug loads out of that gun?

Jim Seufert
09-29-2026, 10:44 AM
As Dave said, I’m not an expert but isn’t it a little dangerous to be shooting modern deer slug loads out of that gun?

I have no intention of doing that. When Dad passed away it no longer was a deer gun. It's now a family heirloom, and as such I was concerned if it was safe at all.

Dean Romig
09-29-2026, 02:25 PM
The first Parker I ever shot - in fact the first SXS I ever shot was a 12-gauge Trojan with Mod and Full chokes... that was back around '61 and I had it in my posession for about 6 or 7 years. I shot all kinds of upland game with it with 2 3/4" shells, all hunting loads. I eventually grew into that gun but it had been letting me know that I was too small for it.
I never measured the chambers but suspect 167347 being a 1914 12 gauge it had 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" chambers.... not that at that tender age if 13 I ever knew to consider the chamber length.

Never a problem shooting 2 3/4" duck and pheasant loads with it.





.

Chuck Bishop
09-29-2026, 03:17 PM
Jim, looking at your picture of the underside of your Trojan I see a #2 on the rear lug which means the gun was built on a size 2 frame which was very common in those days. A #2 frame gun, assuming the bores have never been messed with and are in good internal and external condition, that gun should have great wall thickness. If you are going to shoot it (it was made to shoot not hang on a wall) you should be able to shoot just about any 12 gauge shell thru it however out of respect for it's age and condition, try and limit your shells to the lowest shot weight and speed as possible. Your shoulder will thank you.