PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Xmas Luncheon

CraigThompson
12-18-2023, 07:55 PM
The Xmas luncheon at the shop will be tommorrow 12/19/23 . And I’ve just about finished the main courses . Made a double batch of pheasant/partridge/venison sausage gumbo . And also almost done with the Venison stew this’ll be the third year for the venison stew !

Randy G Roberts
12-18-2023, 08:05 PM
Sounds tasty, I would like to be there for that feast. I would like to hear about the gumbo and how you have prepared it. I have a soft spot for deer stew, as a matter of fact I vacuum sealed six packs of stew meat yesterday. We cut our stew meat up into small cubes and run it through the cuber while we are making steaks. Talk about melting in your mouth, yummy. Growing up at home as a young boy deer stew was on the menu on a regular basis. There were times Mom would take the stew meat, flour it and fry it with nothing else. I could eat those morsels forever, they were so good. Even back then Mom would make me beat the living heck out of the stew meat with a tenderizing hammer. Being the youngest had it's downsides at times :rotf:

CraigThompson
12-18-2023, 10:10 PM
Sounds tasty, I would like to be there for that feast. I would like to hear about the gumbo and how you have prepared it. I have a soft spot for deer stew, as a matter of fact I vacuum sealed six packs of stew meat yesterday. We cut our stew meat up into small cubes and run it through the cuber while we are making steaks. Talk about melting in your mouth, yummy. Growing up at home as a young boy deer stew was on the menu on a regular basis. There were times Mom would take the stew meat, flour it and fry it with nothing else. I could eat those morsels forever, they were so good. Even back then Mom would make me beat the living heck out of the stew meat with a tenderizing hammer. Being the youngest had it's downsides at times :rotf:

I would say we might have a stew at the Southern next year but a bit hot for that usually . But I may have my venison sloppy Joe type stuff refined in time :whistle:

CraigThompson
12-18-2023, 10:12 PM
The stew finished product .

CraigThompson
12-18-2023, 10:12 PM
I will say they both smell pretty darn good !

Garry L Gordon
12-19-2023, 08:57 AM
I got drool all over my phone reading this thread!:)

Craig, that looks pretty darned tasty, and Randy, your cube recipe sounds delicious.

keavin nelson
12-19-2023, 09:06 AM
Hmmmm, it isn't that far to Orange, would be worth the trip!

Daryl Corona
12-19-2023, 09:57 AM
Hmmmm, it isn't that far to Orange, would be worth the trip!

My thoughts exactly Kevin.

CraigThompson
12-19-2023, 10:18 AM
I got off the phone with Danny Patton , he’s planning on coming by for a little while .

CraigThompson
12-19-2023, 10:18 AM
I got drool all over my phone reading this thread!:)

Craig, that looks pretty darned tasty, and Randy, your cube recipe sounds delicious.

Thank you sir ! Or

Jerry Harlow
12-19-2023, 11:35 AM
Question is, how do you get it to come out of that little spout on the water cooler? :rotf:

Dean Romig
12-19-2023, 02:28 PM
In the spirit of keeping it simple, my dinner last evening cobsisted of tender deer liver from my young November buck sauteed in bacon fat (from my morning’s breakfast of 4 eggs over easy and 2/3 lb. of thick-sliced bacon) and sprinkled with Camp Mix done to medium- rare, joined by a healthy portion of steamed baby spinsch and finished with 1/3 lb. of leftover bacon, again from my breakfast. The other thing that wasn’t left over from breakfast was the cold bottle of Guinness to wash it down.

Andrew Sacco
12-19-2023, 02:30 PM
Now that looks good Dean.

Randy G Roberts
12-19-2023, 02:50 PM
. The other thing that wasn’t left over from breakfast was the cold bottle of Guinness to wash it down.

What, no frosted mug for the Guiness :) I fixed some fresh tenderloin the other evening. Breaded with KY Colonel, fried with onions then drizzled with yellow mustard and Hellmans that were allowed to steam while the biscuits were rising. Been having left over loin with my breakfast this week.

CraigThompson
12-19-2023, 05:07 PM
Well Mr.Patton joined us today and he was smiling from ear to ear ! Made my day to see him and out and enjoying himself . Sorry I didn’t take pics but Mr. Hall joined us Mr. Jacobs joined us . For those that do the Colombaire stuff Mr. Abugattas , Mr. Kucha , Mr. Altman and Mr. Sanford joined us . My gumbo must not have been to bad as over 3/4’s was consumed . Seemed to like the venison stew as well but not quite as much as the gumbo .

CraigThompson
12-19-2023, 05:13 PM
In the spirit of keeping it simple, my dinner last evening cobsisted of tender deer liver from my young November buck sauteed in bacon fat (from my morning’s breakfast of 4 eggs over easy and 2/3 lb. of thick-sliced bacon) and sprinkled with Camp Mix done to medium- rare, joined by a healthy portion of steamed baby spinsch and finished with 1/3 lb. of leftover bacon, again from my breakfast. The other thing that wasn’t left over from breakfast was the cold bottle of Guinness to wash it down.

Dean it looks tastey but I’ve never been a liver of any type person . I will eat a deer heart from time to time and to be honest I never have a thought to eating the heart until I hunted in Maine twenty years ago and I tried it there for the first time .

Dean Romig
12-19-2023, 05:27 PM
What, no frosted mug for the Guiness :) I fixed some fresh tenderloin the other evening. Breaded with KY Colonel, fried with onions then drizzled with yellow mustard and Hellmans that were allowed to steam while the biscuits were rising. Been having left over loin with my breakfast this week.

My tenderloin was gone the evening I killed it, along with gthe heart.
Ya know, when the hunters from neighboring camps and farms learn of a kill they seem to gather for the celebratory meal of tenderloin, heart, liver, onions, taters and free flowing amber fluids. It's so nice to be accepted by the locals... even if they do refer to me as "the flatlander". :rotf:

Andrew Sacco
12-19-2023, 08:07 PM
I’ve never had Deer liver or heart!! I like calves liver with onions. I feel bad not taking them. Dean that sounds special to gather like that. I do however eat the shanks and get scorned but osso bucco baby osso bucco.