PDA

View Full Version : This should be interesting......

Destry L. Hoffard
11-17-2014, 07:51 PM
I've been invited to go on an afternoon duck hunt tomorrow at the Balmoral Club over in Ontario. Supposed to be super swanky, members only type of deal. Apparently they're taking their cues from the old time California small bore clubs and have a 20 gauge only rule. I hate the idea of that obviously, but I hated to turn down the invite just because of that fact.

I literally own one gun that might be up to the task, sadly isn't a Parker. It's a 30 inch LC Smith field grade 20 gauge. In good shape, had a thin recoil pad on it that was in rough shape. Wish I hadn't taken it off now though, because she's still bare butted. I'd never gotten around to having a new one installed. Have to dig around at home and see if I can't come up with some kind of butt treatment here at the last minute.

It's supposed to be a high of 25 degrees with a 25-30 mph wind and some blowing snow. Could be a prime day, if the toy shotgun doesn't hold me back.......

DLH

Rick Losey
11-17-2014, 08:06 PM
good luck, no Galco or Galazans pads laying around???

Destry L. Hoffard
11-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Well I'd have sworn I stripped the old pad off but guess I didn't cause it's still on there. Never fired the gun before, bought it in a moment of weakness due to the long barrels. Handling it a bit to get used to the light weight and happened to realize it's got a non automatic safety which I'm definitely not used to. Should be an interesting afternoon like I said......

scott kittredge
11-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Destry, I have shot lots of ducks and about a doz. geese with my full choked 20 ga's. I use 7/8 ths oz of bismuth 6's and it does hit them hard out to 35 yds or so, You will be just fine with that 30 in. 20. You know how to shoot ducks! keep us posted and good luck, :) scott

Daryl Corona
11-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Just remember Destry, it's not the shot, it's the shooter. You'll do just fine. Like Scott, I've shot lots of ducks and geese with my 20 using KM scavenged from 12ga factory loads in 5's. If you were closer you would be welcome to use my 1 frame 32" DHE . At least someone in my family would get to hunt at one of those fancy clubs.:)

scott kittredge
11-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Just remember Destry, it's not the shot, it's the shooter. You'll do just fine. Like Scott, I've shot lots of ducks and geese with my 20 using KM scavenged from 12ga factory loads in 5's. If you were closer you would be welcome to use my 1 frame 32" DHE . At least someone in my family would get to hunt at one of those fancy clubs.:)

Wish I had one of the 32 in 20'S :whistle:

John Dallas
11-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Destry - Isn't Balmoral the old Stroh marsh? You're living large.

Hoping to shoot St. Ann's Fri evening/ Sat AM

Destry L. Hoffard
11-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the votes of confidence guys. Sadly the hunt is on hold, I was just short of the border and got the call that they were "froze up". Hopefully can set something up for another day soon, the weather is supposed to break.

John D. I don't know what the old name for the club was. I was interested to get some more history on the place as I hear there's quite a bit to know. Will keep you posted.

Had a good hunt over on Walpole this past Saturday, a real mixed bag. Widgeon, pintail, black duck, mallard, grey duck, blackjack, and a even a couple elusive sawbills. Started out pretty tough but we did a little fast moving and got into them finally.

charlie cleveland
11-18-2014, 05:02 PM
good luck with that hunt when it makes..hope you don t have to wear a tie but what the heck a duck want care if your wearing one or not..better be practiceing with that little 20 who knows you may be come a twenty gauge man...charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
11-18-2014, 05:17 PM
The fires of Hell will grow cold before I become a steady anything with a 20 gauge shotgun let alone a duck hunter. Hah!

charlie cleveland
11-18-2014, 10:18 PM
somebody s already dumping snow on them fires by the yard instead by inches.one good thing about a 20 ga you can tote more shells than you can with a big ten...charlie

Bill Murphy
11-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Destry, I would suggest you fire a few shells through that little Smith before trusting it to fire reliably. I have yet to draw blood with the #2 frame 20 gauge 32" Parker I "paid too much for" a few months ago. However, I trust it to kill waterfowl with the proper loads. After the error of selling my first #2 frame 32" 20, I will own this one until I die.

Destry L. Hoffard
11-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Bill the Smith 20 gauge shoots fine.

Draw blood with your 20 gauge? You don't go duck hunting once from one season to the next do you?