PDA

View Full Version : Timberdoodles

Rick Riddell
11-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Well today is the last day of the season, unfortunately for the pup and I we're snowed in. We had a great season so far, and was hoping to get the pointer out for one last strong run. We had a large number on resident birds this year, but with the weather being so warm the huge flights never made it in but still , I am damn pround of our boy, he found em, held steady to wing and shot and made this a memorable season. All this from a rescue dog someone threw out! Our last bird of the year, now on to GROUSE!
[URL=http://s675.photobucket.com/user/trutta_album/media/039_zpsebfc2462.jpg.html]http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/trutta_album/039_zpsebfc2462.jpg[/URL

Rick Losey
11-14-2014, 09:38 AM
last day for woodcock here as well, I expect some snow on the ground in the hills

i am breaking my hunting alone rule to take out a friend whose setter passed just before season and has not been out at all this year. we have seen no migrants yet, so is has been slow, hopefully the snow is light and there will be some action for the old dog in what may well be his last hunt for woodcock.

charlie cleveland
11-14-2014, 09:55 AM
so sad i hope ya ll find lots of birds on this hunt...charlie

Rick Losey
11-14-2014, 10:57 AM
thanks Charlie, me too, the weather does not look cooperative

he is 11, not bad for a bird dog to still be in the woods, but his balance occasionally seems to be an issue, his hearing has been failing (life long battles with ear infections) so I have often had to wave my hat over my head to let him know where I was. the last couple hunts he seemed not to notice. this week he sat down and put his head on my lap and the light was just right to see just how much his eyes have clouded over.

forcing a retirement is the second worse part of giving your heart to a bird dog.

Rick Riddell
11-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Here, Here! I hope you do find some resident birds, I'm here in Downeast Maine, usually the 2nd or 3rd week of Oct flights start trickling in, but not this year. Unfortunatley our season isnt that long and it looks like the end of November the flights will come through. We rescued an English pointer from pointerrescue.org, an amazing rescue group, last Dec. We had planned on fostering Danny to keep him from being euthanized, but when he arrived we knew he was a Riddell and it payed off he is one hell of a bird dog. I'm hoping this snow doesnt last long and I'll try to get him on grouse. Best of luck with your partner!

Daryl Corona
11-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Good for you Rick. I too rescued 2 labs a few years back and they have been wonderful companions in the field and around the house. I'm positive they know I saved their butts as they never leave my side and really want to please me. I don't think I'll ever go to another breeder for my next dog as there are thousands of great dogs looking for a good home. Good luck with the grouse and give Danny a scratch behind the ear for me.

Rick Riddell
11-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Will do, and I have the same sentiment as you, this is our first English pointer and man is he fun! All pup indoors and a machine in the field. I use to over look rescues but not anymore, there are definitely some hidden gems out there looking for a little love. Our Weimaraner came from a breeder but he just didnt have any drive or desire to hunt.

Tony Ambrose
11-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Love English Pointers. Rick R - since you're from the Downeast area of Maine, you might appreciate this. I hunted NW of Bangor for two weeks at the end of October, pretty much in the Lakes region....from Rockwood down to Abbot/Dover-Foxcroft and over and up to north of Millinocket. One of the worst years in recent memory for weather, but one of the better years woodcock-wise in a long time. My little pointer, Pink, had a great time with the flight birds. Sorry - the gun is not a Parker - it's an A.H.Fox AE20, but still nice to carry in the covers!

First bird on first day.
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac44/hayslope1/Bows/upland/8a682477-06cf-406e-9d91-29c14518d4a0_zpsfe0d6454.jpg

When the flights are in, limits come way too easy!!
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac44/hayslope1/Bows/upland/5D3C0856-348A-4654-B9BC-CF91A5178885_zpsj5hjc9if.jpg

Rick - I take my hat off to you for going the rescue route. I've looked through pointerrescue.org a few times and there appear to be some very nice quality dogs out there that people have given up.

Rick Riddell
11-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Nice, we had our second child on the 25th of October, so the pup and I didnt travel far, tons of resident birds, we only took a few home, gotta save some for next year! This is our lemonhead!
http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv118/trutta_album/Facebook/Timeline%20Photos/10680134_10203800021975378_871908405646718309_o.jp g (http://.photobucket.com/user/trutta_album/media/Facebook/Timeline%20Photos/10680134_10203800021975378_871908405646718309_o.jp g.html)

Harold Lee Pickens
11-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Tony, an AE 20 with a straight grip--what a great little gun-would love to see more pictures
of it. I'm sure the Parker guys wont mind.

Tony Ambrose
11-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Tony, an AE 20 with a straight grip--what a great little gun-would love to see more pictures
of it. I'm sure the Parker guys wont mind.

Harold - Thanks. It really is a great little Fox. Rather than highjack Rick's post and the fact that I really don't have a lot of photos of the gun, if you have access to older copies of the Double Gun Journal, look in the Summer 2004 issue. There is a nice article on the Fox called "Case in Point". There is also a photo of the gun in Mcintosh's Fox book.

It was a late "Special" ordered as you see it: and with chokes that are SK1 and IC. No info on the card as to where it was shipped, but it was someone's idea of an ideal grouse/woodcock gun or quail gun.

Dave Suponski was kind enough to give me a mint copy of the DGJ issue while I was at the Vintage Cup this year.

Rick - you have a great looking boy there!