PDA

View Full Version : UP Grouse hunt

Harold Lee Pickens
11-06-2014, 12:27 PM
The UP delivered as promised this year. I am still trying to recover from 2 weeks of hard hunting. The little VHE 20 became my favorite gun to carry.
I cant seem to upload more than 3 pictures at a time, so there are more to come.

Harold Lee Pickens
11-06-2014, 12:34 PM
more pics

Harold Lee Pickens
11-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Any one know where this secret covert is located? We call it Gene's Love Shack. The grousemobile at an undisclosed location.

Rick Losey
11-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I don't recognize the "shack". But that rock looks familiar. :)

Mills Morrison
11-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Looks like a lot of fun.

Dean Romig
11-06-2014, 03:19 PM
How old is the older dog... and what happened to his/her lower eyelid?

Gary Laudermilch
11-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Harold,
Looks like you started putting the bell on their collar instead of suspending it on another strap. Did that solve the problem with skinned shins on the dogs?

Harold Lee Pickens
11-06-2014, 04:25 PM
That is Betty, she is actually out of Shiner my male who will be 13 in Dec.Betty is 9. Those are bloody scabs under her eyes that she gets every year while hunting. The shins on both dogs look the same as last year( good memory , Gary). Betty really dives into heavy cover, I tape the last 2-3 inches of her tail cause it generally isa bloody mess also--her dam, my past dog Speck had the same problems and Betty is a clone of Speck. You can see the silver duct tape on her tail tip. Despite feeding them all they can eat, both dogs look like marathon runners, skinny.

Dean Romig
11-06-2014, 04:43 PM
I think setters just have 'skinny' in their genes.

Gary Laudermilch
11-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Yep, you can tell a hard hunting grouse setter - all torn up and skinny. None of my three have hair on the tip of their tail or much on the lower edge of their ears. Just yesterday my youngest (3 in March) came by to check in and was covered with blood on his front end. Cut tongue can sure throw a lot of blood around. EMT jell to the rescue.

Since you mentioned how skinny your dogs are I thought I'd share this story. I had to take my oldest to the vet during hunting season a few years back. While in the waiting room there was a woman with some lap dog sitting across the room staring at me. I thought maybe I should know her but did not. When she got called to the exam room she stopped in front of me and pretty much yelled at me for starving my dog - I should be arrested she says. The vet was watching all of this. I just told her my dog is a working dog, not a couch potato. Then the vet chimed in with "that dog is in absolutely perfect shape, you should take note". I suspect the vet lost a customer that day but I sure got a good chuckle out of it.

Yep, I give them the best food and all they will eat. I even cut up hot dogs into small pieces and bury it in their food to get them to eat more during field season. I don't think it works! They are a skinny rag-tag bunch but we sure do have fun.

Mike Koneski
11-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Gotta love setters, grouse and double guns!

Byron Teates
11-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Nice photos Harold!!! The only thing I like better than quail is grouse...Thanks for sharing...BT...

Russ Jackson
11-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Great Pics, Harold ,looks like a Fine Trip ! Love the Dogs ! My Buddy had a Setter years ago ,skinny as a Rail ,He always bought a case or two of those Canned Vienna Sausages and would stick a couple of cans in his Hunting Coat each trip out ,seemed my Old Brit Maggie enjoyed them as much as the Setter and Dave didn't seem to mind having them once in a while much either :rotf:!

Harold Lee Pickens
11-07-2014, 08:55 AM
I hope all of you are getting those Parkers and dogs out there. I will be pheasant hunting tomorow and will probably carry my 1 frame VH 16.
My hunting friend since grade school accompanies me each year for a week. He shoots an old Beretta BL 4 20 ga, his son( 18 ) will hunt pheasants with us tomorrow and loves SXS's, and will shoot either his grandpa's Nitro Special 12 ga, or his new Fox SW 20, his dad bought from me. I stopped up to see Rich Anderson and Eric Eise one evening and brought my friend Bill and his AHE 20 for them to ogle.

Dean Romig
11-07-2014, 09:03 AM
I stopped up to see Rich Anderson and Eric Eise one evening and brought my friend Bill and his AHE 20 for them to ogle.

Pictures please?....... not of Eric and Rich - we know what they look like - but of the AHE 20.

Harold Lee Pickens
11-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Dean, I posted pictures of this gun 1-09-2014 in my post For Your Viewing Pleasure--Grade 6, I believe in the general discussion forum. I dont know how to put in a link to it.

Eric Eis
11-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Pictures please?....... not of Eric and Rich - we know what they look like - but of the AHE 20.

Very funny Dean but true, not sure if Harold got any pics of the AHE, nice little gun though.

Dean Romig
11-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Oh yeah!! What a gun!

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12361&highlight=viewing+pleasure