PDA

View Full Version : What time do you fellows hit the woods for ruffed grouse?

will evans
10-30-2014, 07:16 AM
The best grouse hunter I know doesn't bother until after 9am, BUT he's nearly 80 so not exactlly pounding the forest floor like in decades past. I've kind of followed his lead without explanation Should I be getting out there closer to sunrise?

edgarspencer
10-30-2014, 07:42 AM
It largely depends on the weather/temperature. The birds don't get moving when it's cold unless there's a fresh snowfall. I have been out early, and I've had breakfast at Auntie Ems and then gone out. I am equally unsuccessful.

Dean Romig
10-30-2014, 08:25 AM
I find that if I get out there too early they're still roosting in the trees and generally present poor or no shot at all when they fly out. I kinda stick with the 9 o'clock starting time too and I still find a few birds flushing from the trees. Like "Gentleman Bob" ruffed grouse too, are a gentleman's game bird, not beginning their day at an ungawdly hour.

Jay Gardner
10-30-2014, 08:45 AM
As has been stated, it depends on the weather but I see little point in hitting the woods until birds have has a chance to get out of the trees and wonder around a bit. Also, a later start gives the bow hunters time to do their thing and start heading out of the woods. For me, 930 1000 is about right to be in the woods.

Most of my success comes in the mid-late pm as the birds seek warm sun, dust themselves and hit food sources before heading toward the roost.

Dean Romig
10-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Also, a later start gives the bow hunters time to do their thing and start heading out of the woods.

Good point Jay! As much as I hate to have anyone tramping through while I am still-hunting or sitting for deer, I hate to be the guy who spooks the deer they are waiting for.

Jay Gardner
10-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Personally I would rather have a late start and hunt into the late afternoon. As I said above, there is no advantage to an early start. I'll hunt through the day and into the late afternoon because I think those are the most productive times and I also really enjoy late afternoons afield. The last hour of light is s beautiful time to be winding down the day, tired and content.

Dean Romig
10-30-2014, 11:02 AM
I couldn't agree more.

chris dawe
11-02-2014, 06:33 PM
I never rush out the door for grouse ,an hour after daylight gives the bird some time to move around and make a stink for the dogs...and for me to have another cup, I actually won't even be hunting them hard till after next weekend ... Ptarmigan on the other hand gets me on the go well before daylight ,only because I have to walk 10 km or so to get to the best ground.

will evans
11-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Wow, that's a long walk. When "Wood Goat" season ends the dang forest service down here always closes the gate over several of the roads I like to hunt. A few of them require walks of 3-5 miles to good cover. I am currently exploring the option of buying myself a standup gas powered scooter - sort of a motorized skateboard with offroad tires and a handlebar. I figure any time I can shave off hiking in and out can be spent hunting more productive cover. I would definitely like to find a way to get back to the truck faster.

chris dawe
11-02-2014, 10:03 PM
off road scooter...that's a great idea :)

John Dallas
11-03-2014, 08:02 AM
A man involved with the SEGWAY scooter thingie was killed when he ran an off-road model (knobby tires, etc) off a cliff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315518/Segway-tycoon-Jimi-Heselden-dies-cliff-plunge-scooters.html

Justin Julian
11-03-2014, 11:23 AM
This plucky fellow wouldn't yield the road to my pickup for several minutes last week...and that was at about 11 am.

Dean Romig
11-03-2014, 11:30 AM
We see lots of that in Maine north of Greenville. You can kill 'em with rocks if you have to.

Mark Landskov
11-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I start early and walk trails well into the afternoon. I have taken ruffies at the crack of dawn and their crops are packed with fresh clover. That tells me that they are up and about early. I will admit that warm afternoons have been productive where I hunt, but I don't count on it being a daily routine. With 40 years of hunting in this area, overall, I would say that the grouse are very unpredictable. That is why I vary times during my hunts.

Harold Lee Pickens
11-03-2014, 12:58 PM
I agree with Roundsworth. Grouse are like turkeys in that they fly down from their roost (they also may roost on the ground), shortly after daybreak. That said, I try to be in the woods by 9:00 am, but expect equal success earlier. My favorite time is the last 2 hours before dark.

Eric Grims
11-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Good question. I like the 9:00- 9:30 start and like to catch them when they are soaking up that warm morning sun.

Tony Ambrose
11-06-2014, 12:36 PM
We see lots of that in Maine north of Greenville. You can kill 'em with rocks if you have to.

Here's another thing you're liable to encounter north of Greenville!

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac44/hayslope1/Bows/upland/361E8FF3-5997-4705-9150-C841D0ED2B66_zpsbdtoqrxt.jpg

If you have bird dogs, just be aware that ANY logging road up that way that is easily accessed by a vehicle is probably a candidate location for a local trapper putting out sets for coyotes!

Thankfully, my little pointer wasn't hurt, but it sure put a scare into me....and the little dog!

edgarspencer
11-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Here's a pair of old PGCA farts in the woods, North of Greenville.

Dean Romig
11-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Hey - I know that clearing!

Eric Eis
11-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Here's another thing you're liable to encounter north of Greenville!

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac44/hayslope1/Bows/upland/361E8FF3-5997-4705-9150-C841D0ED2B66_zpsbdtoqrxt.jpg

If you have bird dogs, just be aware that ANY logging road up that way that is easily accessed by a vehicle is probably a candidate location for a local trapper putting out sets for coyotes!

Thankfully, my little pointer wasn't hurt, but it sure put a scare into me....and the little dog!

Rich and I found the same thing hunting up in the UP last week...:eek: A trap right in the middle of a two track...We kept our eyes open after that...