PDA

View Full Version : squirl hunting

charlie cleveland
10-18-2014, 09:45 PM
got home this evening at about 400 pm i grabbed the old eh hammerless 10 and a about 15 of them green remington nitro shells no 4 shot and into the woods i went..the wind was blowing not really a good evening to hunt but you can t kill a squirl to good setting on the couch...after about 10 minutes after entering the woods i spied a tail atwitching so up came the old ten and down came the squirl. i moved onand sat under a hickory that the squirls were cutting pretty good on.after 15 minutes went by i seen something move i first thought it was a little twitty bird but were nt long that squiurl mayed the mistake of showing his self better i had to shoot left handed on this one did not place the gun right so i got kicked pretty good but put no 2 squirl in the sack..eased on and it was a good 15 minutes before i spotted another one.i got this squirl but sad to say i was to close and had to throw it away the old ten had tenderized this squirl to good.i hate doing this...i then moved on and seen a squirl cutting acorns in a big red oak i slipped up with in 20 yards of that squirl but he seen me i guess because it started running thru the timber. i finally got a good shot but missed it cleanly.i waited for it to move but it was more patient than i so i moved on..was not long before i found a good den it was getting late maybe 30 minutes before dark was not long i seen a squirl it was going toward a big ceder tree it got in the ceder and went into a nest it never came out..i let it go.then appered another suirl out of no where aint it funny how game does that..well i put that squirl in the bag.i thought just maybe i will get one more shot sure enough up in the big den tree i seen a squirl climbing into a big fork well i took good aim and pulled the trigger well to my surprize no squirl fell it must have went around the tree when i pulled the trigger well it was getting almost dark by this time and i had not carried my flashlight but it was ok i was prett close to my house..next i went home and showed the wife my squirls she said poor things...i then dressed the squirls then cleaned the old parker10 and now i m telling ya ll about the hunt..so it pays to go hunting even if it seems like its not a fit afternoon.the old ten is a fine squirl gun but a little heavy to tote at 11 1/2 lbs..w ill probably take the old parker silent auction 8 ga next time out she dont weigh but 13 1/2lbs..and them old grren nitro no 4 s will really shoot good thru that thick foilage and bring a squirl home for supper....charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
10-20-2014, 11:10 PM
I've shot a lot of them green Remington 10 gauge shells, they're killers for sure. And good thing you shot them out of a heavy gun, cause they kinda kill on both ends if you don't.

DLH

Eric Grims
10-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Good going on the squirill Charlie. I've got 4 in the freezer taken with a 16 ga parker and a win mod. 42 .410. Think I'll throw a few birds in with them and cook them up in Paul
Prudohommes Smothered Rabbit recipe. Um-um.

charlie cleveland
10-24-2014, 10:05 PM
that sounds like a fine thing to do with them squirls and birds call us when you get them cooked ill bring the dr peppers...charlie

charlie cleveland
10-26-2014, 09:28 AM
little daisey the squirl dog treed 3 times yesterday trying to get me to go hunting with her.like a nit wit i thought i was to busy having to work on a four wheeler..to many leaves yet for finding the squirl but daisey dont think so...charlie