PDA

View Full Version : Lake Emily, Minnesota Grouse & Woodcock Hunt

allen newell
10-17-2014, 01:13 PM
This Monday I am flying to Minnesota to meet up with an old friend of many years that I haven't seen nor hunted with ever since my wife (now deceased) started to battle cancer. Charlie is an old friend that I met while commuting daily to Boston when I worked for Stone & Webster Engineering Corp. Charlie worked for the Boston Company at that time and one day while riding on the train I spied him reading one of Burton Spiller's books and struck up a conversation which has lasted those many years. I left Stone & Webster for a better position and Charlie landed a senior position with LL Bean. After retiring from Bean's he departed for Minnesota where he purchased a 100 acre farm on top of a mountain. We shot many deer at his farm over the years.

Well, this Monday we get together again as long time friends always do and head up to Lake Emily for 4 days of woodcock and Grouse shooting. I'm taking 2 guns for the trip; a nice 20 ga Trojan that Brad . has lovingly restored for me (it's beautiful) that is going to my 7 year old grandson when he reaches 12 yrs of age. I want to be able to tell him that his Trojan has taken a few grouse and woodcock so he will treasure it just a bit more I hope. THe second double I'm taking is the 12 a. WW Greener that I purchased at Dover Furnace a few weeks ago (pictures to be posted). Interesting history behind this Greener. According to Graham Greener with whom I have corresponded, the gun started out at the factory in 1938 as a DH 40 model and was finished in 1951 as a DH50. Apparently the war years interrupted production. It was sold to J.C. Hughes Esq. Anyway, it's going to Minnesota for it's inaugural outing.

I'm not familiar with the Lake Emily area so would appreciate any insight. Charlie has told me a bit but always holds back some of the data to keep me on edge. Gotta love him. It will be good to be back with an ol' friend and somehow whether I shoot a bird or not doesn't really matter.

Have a great season my PGCA friends and remember to smell the roses along the way. Regards to all.

Marty Kohler
10-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Allen........ Sounds like the perfect October trip.... Time marchs on ...you just gotta do it..... good for you :)

Angel Cruz
10-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a great way to get together with an old friend. I hope you guys have a great time. Can't wait for the pictures...

charlie cleveland
10-18-2014, 12:34 AM
old friends and getting together is real special i hope ya ll have a good hunt...charlie

chris dawe
10-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Good luck Allan,have yourself a great time !

Dean Romig
10-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Allen, I hope your time spent with Charlie meets and exceeds all your hopes and expectations. Make the best of it - you've waited a long time for this.

allen newell
10-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Dean, To add frosting to the cake, we will be hunting over one of Charlie's French Brittanies. He has a couple of very nice, biddable and steady to shot dogs. It will be good to once again be hunting with an old friend.

Kenny Graft
10-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Please get some pictures of the dogs, dog work and birds. Print them to pass down with your gun...(-: Oh I want to see them too! thanks Kenny SXS ohio...(-:

Richard Dow
10-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Allen: Bruce Day and I met you today on a Minn. backroad (he saw us walking down the road with Parkers after a long day of brush bustin' for woodcock and grouse). It was a pleasure meeting you guy's. It's a great Parker hunting community. Best Dick Dow

Jeff Christie
10-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Dick and Bruce- hope you guys are having better luck in MN than I had in northern WI. One woodcock in 5 days. Last year my little Brit played with a porcupine to her great detriment. This year it was a big foot trap. Still we had a great Parker week in the Nortwoods. We are ready for roosters in Iowa on Saturday- the opener.