PDA

View Full Version : And it begins......

Destry L. Hoffard
09-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Made my first duck hunt of the season on Sunday afternoon over in Canada. We were hunting on the Walpole Indian Reservation, my new friend Allen Isaac was doing the work. We went out too early, sat and suffered the heat / mosquitos till the sun got down a bit, then the shooting started. It wasn't red hot but we managed to pick up 10 birds between the four of us. Believe we had four mallards, one bluewing teal, and the rest greenwing. Good way to start the season but I'm certainly ready for some cooler weather.

Had the big 34 inch DHE of course, it performed as expected. Made one good long shot on a flaring teal after everybody else was empty. Makes a man feel like he knows what he's doing when he pulls one out like that. Shame I don't.....

Destry

Richard Flanders
09-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Well, I reckong it's your turn. That gun sure did it's share of making me look good.

charlie cleveland
09-29-2014, 09:05 PM
sounds like destrey and the swamp angel are makeing history again..that gun is destined to be another bo whoop iin its time...glad ya ll started the season out so well.. my old 3 frame 12 will get its turn at squirls wednesday... what loads were you useing and how far was that long shot on the duck...charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
09-30-2014, 02:58 PM
I was shooting 1 1/4 of #3 in the Kent TM. The teal was about 60 yards, fell graveyard dead.

DLH

Eric Grims
10-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Good start on the season!
We start our season on the upper Connecticut River near Canada tomorrow and I'm not so optimistic. We have been seeing a real good crop of ducks throughout the summer but we have had no rain and our honey holes are all dry. We need water.The ducks we see have taken to the big lakes and away from land. Currently the same awaits us on lake champlain zone next week and they flood the protected areas so the ducks are in the no shoot zones. But hunting is what it is and we'll scout, set up, blow the call at first light and see what happens.
We also have a good size bear sniffing around the blind. Got to look in the book and see if I'm legal if I carry some double ought buck while water fowling. Have no need for a bear but my friends dog might have other ideas.

Eric Grims
10-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Carrying any lead shot prohibited.

Eric Eis
10-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Carrying any lead shot prohibited.

Slugs..... That not shot.

Destry L. Hoffard
10-02-2014, 02:44 PM
There ya go!