PDA

View Full Version : squirl season

charlie cleveland
09-21-2014, 08:57 PM
boys she aint but 10 more days and them fuzzy tails will be in trouble opening day... i think i m gonna get the old 3 frame 12 ga out for that morning and the big heavy barreled 10 ga that evening..got some no 5 lead for the 12 ga and got a box of them remington plastic 10 gagreen hulls no 4 shot i ve been saveing i guess for this squirl hunt..we all hunt were we want too and then meet up at the old spring to clean and fry them squirls and swap storeys...i will hunt in a small bottom land with rolling hills to the side of it...saw a lot of squirls in that little bottom last year a deer hunting...ain t life good to us parker boy s....maybe i want forget the camera this year....charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
09-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Those green Remingtons are powerful medicine for squirrels. Aren't they all 1 5/8 ounce loads?

DLH

charlie cleveland
09-22-2014, 10:27 PM
yep they sure are destrey 1 5/8 ounce loads..the old heavy parker thinks there light loads..charlie

wayne goerres
09-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Isnt there supposed to be something left of the squirl besides the tail. Going to be hard to eat those for supper.

Daryl Corona
09-23-2014, 08:09 PM
How big are your squirrels down there Charlie?:eek:

charlie cleveland
09-23-2014, 09:46 PM
our gray squirls are not that large usally but the fox squirl is very large and in the mississippi delta the black squirl is large...but the grays in my area are the most plentyful..usally ... the smaller they are the tender they are..bout all you can do with old large squirls is make dumpings out of them..charlie

charlie cleveland
09-23-2014, 09:50 PM
yep them squirl tales will make for a rough time of eating them but heh i don t have a good 410 parker to hunt them with....charlie

wayne goerres
09-23-2014, 10:07 PM
You will be alright after you figure out how to graft them 410 barrels to your parker 20ga.

charlie cleveland
09-24-2014, 07:22 PM
yes sirree want have to eat no more squirl tails when i figure how to get those 410 barrels fixed up...but till then will have to continue useing the big bore....only 7 days till opening day..season has started on saturday all my life till this year they even gave us a spring season in may and june..who wants to hunt squirls in june....season will open on a wednesday october the 1 st......charlie

charlie cleveland
09-25-2014, 11:18 PM
got my 10 ga remington shells out this evening decided to open the box and check things out it turns out i had a coupla paper hull peters shells in there one was a load of bb and the other was a load of 2 s..decided these were a little to much for a squirl so put them away for a turkey hunt some day.well it turns out thatunder them 8 plastc remingtons there was 15 winchester western paper hull ten ga shells..the old price tag on the box said 5.25 its probably from the 60 s era price...well gota go find a box of 1 1/4 ounce for the parker 12 ga 3 frame....charlie

charlie cleveland
09-26-2014, 10:57 PM
stoped and bought me a box of reo 12 ga 1 1/4 ounce of no 5 s this evening..was not bad on the price either 10.50....a fella got to shoot thru a lot of leaves at this time of year so i like to shoot a load that can penetrate the leaves and still get the squirl...a fellow once said leave the small bores at home while the leaves are on. i tend to agree with him...charlie

charlie cleveland
09-28-2014, 09:12 PM
shot two of these shells in the parker 3 frame 12 ga at the usal dr pepper can at 70 paces it only put 1 shot each time i shot..this is pretty good useing no 5 lead shot..i m certain at 50 yards it will drop a squirl every shot..only got2 more days it will open this wednesday..looking forward to toteing this old parker that morning...charlie

charlie cleveland
09-29-2014, 09:07 PM
only one more day then me and the old parkers can hit the woods....charlie

charlie cleveland
09-30-2014, 09:52 PM
when i wake up it will be time to uncase the old parker.. ive got my truck gassed up and ready i just hope i m doing the right thing hunting in the hills..its been dry here for a spell the squirls may have moved closer to the water...well any way i ll be hunting...gona get up at 4.30 and cook me some bacon gona be a long walk in the morning....charlie

Jack Cronkhite
10-01-2014, 07:17 AM
Will be thinking of you Charlie. I'm sitting in the dark looking at rain. It's opening day for pheasants. I will be breaking in a 1 frame 16ga Damascus GH that followed me home despite a replacement butt stock with palm swell wrist and a strange butt plate. Some 2 1/2" RST 6 shot will be used if we can flush a few birds. Good luck on your hunt my friend. Cheers Jack

charlie cleveland
10-01-2014, 06:25 PM
good to see you posting jack...hope you and the 16 teen do well today.them 16 s carry good like a 20 and shoot like a 12..guess its cooling down in your neck of the woods. here it was cool this morning but about 88 at 2.00 pm..let us know how you did on the phez and how well the 16 done....charlie

charlie cleveland
10-01-2014, 07:12 PM
well i was up at 4.30 sharp had been awake since 2.30 i m still like i was in my youth dont get much sleep on opening day of squirl or deer...i put 2 big biscuits in the oven fried 3 big strips of bacon and put the coffee on..in 15 minutes i was ready to eathad a guilty complex and put 1 of the biscuits and 1 and 1/2 pieces of the bacon under a lid for the wife..been trying to cut down on eating with not much luck...well got the gun shells and flashlight and loaded them in the truck and off to the woods i went..got out of the truckand said to myself its gona be 30 minutes till daylight..i enjoyed the peacefullness of the dawn soon it was light i got the 3 frame out of the truck and loaded her up with them no 5 s...as i started slipping along i thought i should have wore a light jacket this morning but after seeing the first squirl all thoughts of being cool was gone...this squirl was really barking at something i knew it was not me...some crows flew in to check the squirl out it was tempting to try the gun on the crow..finally i saw the squirl move i was about to get a bead on him when from nowhere a small airplane comes tree top level.well thet squirl was outa there and high tailing it ..never saw this squirl again..... i walked on and finally seen a limb shaking took a few steps to see better and there he was cutting some acoirns i raised the old parker up and down came the old guns first squirl of the morning...as i picked up the squirl i saw another squirl i shot but missed but the left barrel got the secound squirl..i walked and slipped for about 30 minutes again before i came up on another squirl this old fellow was really shaking a limb when i dropped him out....this squirl had a bug in him we call a wolf so i let him lay were he had fell...at about 9.30 i saw the last and final squirl of the morning it was at least a 60 yard shot i took the shot and i said to myself missed that one well i reloade the gun and was watching to see if maybe i would see him again about that time that squirl fell outa that tree i was really surprized...well it was a mile walk back to the truck but it was still cool so it was a good walk i thought i mite run across another squirl but i did not so for the total it was 4 squirls 2 good ones and 2 bad ones with wolves in them..after arriving home i went and sharpened my knife and was gona skin them to squirls them things were so old and tough i let my dogs have them...did not go back this evening hunting it was just to hot it was 88 abou 2.00 pm..even thou the old parker weighs in at 10 lbs it handled very well and never wore me out...charlie

wayne goerres
10-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Congrats on the old 10s first blood. Supposed to cool off this weekend. May try for squirrel my self. Haven't hunted this year yet.

Jack Cronkhite
10-03-2014, 03:49 AM
Congrats on a successful hunt Charlie. I was up at 4 even though the plan was to leave at 8. Old hunters - we're all the same I guess. It was wet, cold and miserable but fun of course. The 16 handled well but my eye was not on. One missed long shot can be forgiven but two in close missed was too much to bear, so I hung up the 16 and carried a 12 pump I bought as a kid. I got one more opportunity and put that one in the bag. My buddy fared no better than me. Opening day jitters, a year away from shooting but the birds will need to be even more cautious once we get back into the swing of it. I prepared the one bird and he is very nice with only a couple pellets in meat. Will make a nice meal in a few days. Will be trying the 16 again in a couple days. I think I will replace that strange butt stock with a proper Parker look and feel. I might not shoot it any better but I will feel better carrying a proper looking gun. Cheers, Jack

charlie cleveland
10-03-2014, 08:57 PM
going again in the morning...i will meet up with fellow hunters at about 11.00 am and we will skin and cook what ever we have shot...its good to be back on the hunt...i too have those off days shooting..but it sounds like you had a great day afield with the parker...charlie

charlie cleveland
10-03-2014, 08:59 PM
forgot to add i m gona use a 16 ga myself tomorrow its a single shot long tom 36 inch barrel...charlie

Jack Cronkhite
10-03-2014, 11:51 PM
Made it out again today. Charlie caught a small rooster and Charlie and Kyra flushed a hen and a rooster. The 16 folded the rooster dead in the air. A nice left to right crossing shot. Our limit has been reduced to 2 bird limit, so that was the day. Decent dry day so now it is time to do some cookin'. Cheers, Jack

charlie cleveland
10-04-2014, 07:04 PM
well sounds like youre shooting the 16 better jack.. i took the 16 ga long tom today i only saw 3 squirls i shot at all 3 and never touched a hair..good thing i did not have to clean them.ha... it was cold this morning about 49 degrees the squirls were not stirring.this evening the wind was really blowing so i did not go..we had a good squirl cookout at dinner i really enjoyed it all told i think the fellows brought in 57 squirls and skinned and cooked them...a good day i had..charlie

charlie cleveland
10-05-2014, 08:45 PM
shot the 16 ga at the can this evening at 70 yards i was surprized not a shot in the can.then i shot the 10 ga remington with no 4 s only put 2 shot in the can with it...any way i aint given up on that 16 yet gona get me a 30 inch cardboard circle and try it at 40 yards in a few days..charlie

Jack Cronkhite
10-07-2014, 09:04 AM
16 GH saw another day afield. First opportunity needed second barrel. Next opportunity I didn't think I connected. Went to where I thought we might flush it again. Charlie and Kyra disappeared into the tall grass. Kyra came out and she and I continued along the edge of the crop land. After a few minutes I was starting to wonder where Charlie was. I turned around to see her trotting up to us carrying the rooster. Gotta love dogs.

charlie cleveland
10-07-2014, 10:38 PM
jack with out charlie you would have lost that bird..i gots quit working on this wore out 4 wheeler and go hunting..found any rusty iron lately...charlie

Jack Cronkhite
10-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Yes, Charlie has helped me a lot with finding, flushing and retrieving. So has little Kyra. As for rusty iron, my new brother-in-law is working on a 32 Ford. When I was out for roosters, picked up a very large double box end wrench in a grain field - very well rusted old iron. I'm also looking at a rusty 1920's era Durant that could be restoreable - just don't know if I want to get into it but.... might be a long winter and that could be a reasonable past time.

Cheers,
Jack

charlie cleveland
10-08-2014, 06:11 PM
the 32 fords are my favorite cars and that durant is not seen to often...charlie