PDA

View Full Version : Dove season opener in San Antonio Tx.

Paul Plager
09-03-2014, 05:20 PM
I had the privledge to hunt a great friend's property opening day this year. As I recall there were 6 of us in the field I was in, and maybe 3 or 4 out back of the house in another field.
Tom is the owner of the property, I had the privledge of Tom's 10 year old son Zach as a hunting partner. I was shooting the 1875 grade 2 10ga. lifter, Zach w shooting his mothers Winchester 20ga. pump. The game wardens even stopped by for a brief chat with us. All went well, no infractions or warnings were given.

There were 4 other guys on our section of field that day. As the afternoon progressed, I was enlightened by this 10 year old hunter that there were 2 hunters in our field, he and I, and 4 killers.
Now this info is something that I would expect from a well seasoned hunter not from a 10 year old boy. As the day went on I was watching the other 4 men and realized that Zach was correct in his observations. The 4 men were 18 - 25 years old, and also family friends of Tom's. Now I am truely seeing what an influence Tom and I have had the last 4 or 5 years hunting together and Zach was always there with us, make believe shooting birds with plastic guns and retreving downed birds for us from the age of about 5 until last year when he was able to use a real shotgun and got his forst bird on opening day last year. ( Thank you God for letting me be there for that ).
Well Zach downed 4 whitewings and I got 5 with the old lifter. The BBQ after the shooting stopped was great, the friendships are always strengthened and the stories at the table always enjoyed by all.
Zach will always be a welcome pleasure as my hunting partner. Any time, anywhere.

charlie cleveland
09-03-2014, 07:13 PM
SOUNDS like ya ll really had a good hunt..that young man will have good memories of this hunt for the rest of his life..just maybe he will get to shoot the old 10 ga some day i see that in the future...charlie