PDA

View Full Version : whats your favorite hunting gun

charlie cleveland
08-07-2014, 09:51 PM
this was a hard question for me to answer..as i studied i finally decided the old 8 ga parker was my favorite..i ve used it on several squirl hunts its killed a few crows a coupla deer with buckshot andits still be carried to the woods to hopefully get a deer of somesort with the pumpkin ball load..the old 8 ga is sawed off to 26 1/4 inch barrel that are stub twist shes a lifter action a 0 grade ...shes the 25 parker made in 8 ga department... charlie....

Mills Morrison
08-08-2014, 06:14 AM
The 20 gauge Trojan Julia gave me.

Bob Jurewicz
08-08-2014, 07:35 AM
Parker Repro 16 gauge. 28" - Q1/Q2. Great for clays as well. Put Tru-Oil on the case colors and it really has helped preserve them from the heavy use.
Bob Jurewicz

Mike Franzen
08-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Right now it's this grade 2, 10 gauge because it's the one I used on spring turkeys. The 20 gauge is getting ready to be my favorite as dove season approaches

Gary Laudermilch
08-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Parker repro 20 with 26 inch barrels choked .004 and .008. Double triggers of course. It has accounted for quite a few grouse,woodcock, some doves, and a bunch of clay targets. Oh, excuse me, I meant to say pa'tridge.

Jeff Christie
08-09-2014, 08:03 AM
My great grandfather's DHE. It is in the small photo on the left. It is a true Iowa gun that has hunted on three continents.

Greg Baehman
08-09-2014, 04:06 PM
In my part of the world when you're talking about a hunting gun you're talking about a grouse/woodcock gun. My favorite carry gun for Ruffed Grouse is a 28-ga. Parker Reproduction DHE 26" IC/M, DT, SG, SPL. When Woodcock are targeted it usually has a set of 28-.410 Chambermates aboard.

edgarspencer
08-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Almost every Parker I own is a pleasure to carry in the woods, and I have carried most of them. At the end of the day, when I kick off my boots and build a fire, I don't really care which one it is. I'm neither more or less lucky, and if I come home with an empty pouch, I'd still rather walk all day with one of Charlie's guns than anything else.

Daryl Corona
08-09-2014, 10:57 PM
I must echo Edgar's sentiments. Carrying a different Parker (or Fox) in the uplands or in the marsh just adds more enjoyment in my time afield. Variety is the spice of life.

charlie cleveland
08-20-2014, 10:29 AM
sice dove season is almost upon us i will use the 3 frame 12 in the morning while i got the strengh to lift it and a d grade parker with single trigger that eveningalso in 12 ga.. charlie

Mills Morrison
08-20-2014, 10:35 AM
I am thinking of taking my Browning Superposed out for the first day of dove season:eek:

Just to try something different for a change. It was owned by another PGCA member before me :rolleyes:

Harold Lee Pickens
08-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Last year I took grouse, woodcock, or pheasant with all 4 of my Parkers, all 6 Foxes, and my 2 Lefevers. My favorite guns to hunt with are my GH O frame 16 and my newest, a beat up little VHE 20--they may be the only 2 guns I take to the UP this fall.

Michael Murphy
08-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Can't call any one gun my favorite! Any gun I happen to have with me when I get out into the woods and fields is my favorite for that day. I like my Parkers, Foxes, RBL's, Brownings, etc. I can however say that my favorite gauge is the 20.

Rich Anderson
09-07-2014, 08:39 PM
My favorite of all of them is hands down Gunner's Gun. I could part with them all except this one.

Gary Carmichael Sr
09-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Rich, I do see why this is your favorite gun, I know when afield with it memories abound of hunts with your best buddy, Matties gun is at the engravers probably be six months before I get it , Then it will be my all time favorite Parker! Gary

Bill Murphy
09-10-2014, 09:22 AM
My favorite could be any Parker that I have carried behind my dogs. However, after a difficult second barrel kill on a bobwhite a few years ago, my favorite now is my little 28 gauge bored cylinder and full. The little cockbird had reached the forty yard mark and has turned around a honeysuckle thicket and was all but out of sight when I fired. My companion gave up the bird as lost, but I sent Eva into the area of the shot and she came out with a dead bird. The little VH has earned a place in the back of the truck.

Grantham Forester
09-10-2014, 11:45 AM
So it has to be my favorite- My father-in-law willed it to me- a VHE 12 with 30" M&F barrels made in aprox 1929, by the serial number look-up the PGCA makes available. I passed on the Parker GHE .410 ;made in 1937 in Ilion, again as verified by the serial number look-up herein and once I priced out both 2.5" and 3" .410 bore shotshells-And I am still "on the fence" about the 1926 era AH Fox 12 AE- again, 30" M&F like the Parker VHE- mainly due to the buttstock issues-

I also shoot a Browning 20 Superposed for quail and dove, and a Browning 12 Auto-Five, mainly for water=fowling with steel shot. The Parker is my favorite shotgun for pheasants, hands down.

Carvel Whaley
09-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Carried out my 10ga 32 in lifter this morning for the first time hunting with it. Had my limit of dove in an hour and a few minutes. Lots of fun. My two friends had there's a little sooner with their auto loaders but I think I had more fun. Took me a while to remember to cock the hammers and move to the rear trigger for the second shot. I had to laugh at myself. Carvel

charlie cleveland
09-10-2014, 10:18 PM
them old tens are a lot of fun glad you chose one to shoot..what loads did you use on the doves...charlie

Carvel Whaley
09-10-2014, 10:29 PM
I had a few RST ounce and one eighth 1140 fps 7&1/2's factory loads and the rest were some reloads federal hulls, 30gr of unique 1&1/8 oz of #8 loaded with nitro card over the powder 2 , 1/2in fiber spacers and a rolled crimp. All seemed to work well. Carvel

Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
09-11-2014, 03:35 PM
I actually have three favorite hunting guns. For upland birds in the field it would be a 12 ga. parker DH choked open IC / Mod. Moving into the thicker stuff for grouse and woodcock it would be a cut barrel fox sterlingworth choked Cyl/Cyl. For squirrels, if I can't get them with the first shot they are free to go, I use a single barrel Forehand and Wadsworth hammer gun choked Full.

Mark Landskov
09-11-2014, 04:33 PM
I have been Parker-less for quite some time. My DeHaan .410 and Harry Greener's Emperor share equal time chasing Ruffed Grouse.