PDA

View Full Version : Woodcock Hunt

Bob Hayes
07-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Does anyone know of any hunting guides in South Carolina or North Carolina,east side,low country for woodcock.Trying to find someone there with local knowledge.We get plenty of snipe here in Florida but no timberdoodle.Would like to find someone who offers those hunts because its relatively close for me to drive up.

will evans
08-10-2014, 11:32 AM
I would suggest going further North if you are going to make the effort to chase those little guys. The thing that would worry me about making the trip is the way I've found Woodcock to be there one day and then gone the next. Up North, there are so many that you can find them just about every day, but our reliance on migratory birds in the South means that weather will move them in a flash. For instance, some of my honey holes here in Georgia might produce 20-30 points one day and then zilch, and I DO MEAN ZILCH, just a couple of days later. It usually takes a fair amount of cooler weather up North before those little guys even start arriving. Last season was dismal, as I never did figure out their patterns. Neither did the people I know who are much better hunters than myself. I had two days when I found a bunch of woodcock last season. Both days were after the season ended while hunting RG. I'll try to remember you. If they show up this year then you can drive up to hunt a day or two with me.

Bob Hayes
08-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info and advice.I know it can be hit or miss there just trying to establish a relationship when they do arrive.I hunted the low country in the past and results were as you discribed.
Thanks for the offer and will stay in touch.I did book a trip in La. this coming season and hope its half what its supposed to be.I'll let you know how we do but supposed to be alot of birds there in Dec. and Jan..
Good luck this season let me know if you want to come down and chase some snipe.