PDA

View Full Version : shooting the parker

charlie cleveland
06-01-2014, 09:59 AM
as everyone knows all the main hunting seasons have passed here in the old U S A . but thats no reason to put them old parkers away some of ya ll shoot skeet or trap every week but for fellas like others and me who do not shoot these fine sports we have to empervize.as ya ll no i shoot cans forsport and the season is never closed..but there are still some alternatives besides skeet and cans.. in the south we have armadilos and i have plenty at the moment digging up my back yard. soa parker with no 6 s is a good medicene for them..also the wild hog is becoming a very bad nuisance in our country a parker with a slug or round ball or even a load of 00 buck will do the trick. then we have the crow that in some states does not have a season on but woe is me they have a season on them in my home state MISSISSIPPI....we also have the wiley coyote a formidable quarry for sure a good parker with no 2 s or no 4 buck loaded in the barrels of a parker will do him in if you get a shot..the lists goes on on the things we can do with our parkers while the seasons out hey i m gona hunt cans after church this morning yep with a 10 ga hammer gun........charlie

charlie cleveland
06-01-2014, 10:46 PM
well i loaded some shells and took the old parker lifter gun and blasted away at the cans..boy the left barrel of this old gun will put several no 6 in that can at 40 steps i think my best shot was 6 hits in the can pretty good for 1 1/8 ounce of shot...gotta go clean up the old gun now...charlie

Eric Grims
06-02-2014, 05:53 AM
Charlie, I think cans are a great target particularly in in preparation for turkey. I have a 16 gauge "0" frame choked full and wicked full and it really puts a lot of shot in a can at thirty yards. No armadillos in vermont but my new/old hammer gun took two woodchucks this week. And meat hunter that I am I sure would like to shoot a pig some day.
Regards.

Mills Morrison
06-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Yes. All of those are suitable quarry, there is no season and you need to shoot all you can

charlie cleveland
06-02-2014, 08:39 PM
i was going to the garden early this and what a surprize was i given.a big ground hog about run over me or maybe i walked into him but anyway we both got a good look at one another before the ground hog took off..my dog was with me but did not see the hog but the dog smelled were it had been and trailed it up and treed it under one of my old junk cars..i tried calling her off but to no avail she finnally quit treeing it after 1 hour of barking..i shoulda carried the parker to the garden...charlie

Rick Losey
06-02-2014, 08:48 PM
.i shoulda carried the parker to the garden...charlie

that's how they end up in garden sheds

charlie cleveland
06-03-2014, 01:23 PM
you mite be rite about how they wind up in those sheds..i once found a old single barrel in some srap iron my dad had bought..some fellow carved a stock for it for two dollars for me and i made a firing pin from a nail and clean it up a little..and it acually shot but that stock was mighty ugly even too a 11 year old i shoulda got the 3 dollar stock..charlie

Bill Murphy
06-03-2014, 06:29 PM
If I lived in the country, I would have a big Parker in an outbuilding or barn. Since I only "kind of" live in the country, I have a Daisy Red Ryder, an RWS high tech pellet rifle, and a scoped .22 in the kitchen. A shotgun is over the top, so I will do what I can with what I have.

Eldon Goddard
06-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Charlie you had me laughing my whole lunch break. Should have went for broke with that 3 dollar stock.

charlie cleveland
06-05-2014, 07:07 PM
PENNYwas brought to missippi when she was only 12 weeks old she had come from the dairyland statec WISCONSIN...PENNY was afemale german shorthair and her tail was never bobed...i ll never forget the first time i saw penny she was what ever young boy dreams of she was one of the gentlest dogs i ever was around. when you talked to her she would smile with her teeth showing i know you fellas seen dogs smile this way..penny and i hit it right off from the start i told my dad that i was agona make me a quail dog for sure.now mind you this is our first evening together..my dad wanted to go over and see a fello he knew well my dad let me bring the new pup with us on the way to the fellas house a big covey of birds ran across the road in front of us..i asked my dad if he would stop and see what the new pup would do so he stopped and we got out..now penny picked up the scent trail very quickly she must have trailed for 75 yards before she stopped with a pretty of a point as ever a dog could do in my eyes..as we walked up to penny the covey got up and flew on boy was i one happy boy that day and i think my dad was really impressed but he never let on other than to say she mite make a pretty good dog one of theser days.. well penny was around 8 months old when quail season kicked in if there was ever a natural penny was..by the end of the season she was as good as most dogs with 5 years of hunting under their belts..penny was so gentle that you never had to raise even your voice to her if you did she was liable to walk behind you for a couple hours before she would get in the mood to hunt again...by her secound season the fame of penny s hunting abilities had spread far people from far off started calling my dad and wanted to know what my dad wanted for penny..lots of folks came and hunted with my dad and after seeing this dog work the quail the question was always the same how much for her but my dad always said boys she aint for sale.. i sure was proud of my dad for always turning down those good offers i know he needed the money but i guess his love for this dog was stronger than money... we had many great hunts with this dog never a better dog did my dad train and he trained a plenty and penny was the only dog that never had a price on her...my dad bred her at 5 years old penny died trying to give birth to those pups..my dad cried even thow he tried to hide his tears me i was just as heart broken as was the rest of the family. no dog ever took the place of PENNY in our hearts....... charlie