PDA

View Full Version : 12 years in the making

scott kittredge
05-25-2014, 01:41 PM
I waited 12 years to do this with my grandson Zach. I brought him on our 1st hunt together. He came over yesterday afternoon to spend the night to get up early to go on a turkey hunt with me. we shot his 870 rem. at 25 yds with 1 oz of 6's and the gun shot left about 6 inches. I too try it and the same thing, so I went to the rack and got my 20 VHE 28 in. F/F . It was a little long but shootable. A few test shots and some U-tube turkey hunts and he was ready to go. 4:10 am, got to the hunting spot waited until 4:45, blew the crow call and 3 birds went off 2 close and the other way out. we set up did some calling and birds were hot and calling. about 5:00am they were on the ground and on the other side of the river. This is not good, they hate to cross big water. After 15 mins. we move so as to see on the other side of river . it would be 45 yds to the other side. Started calling again and they were a lot closer and calling back every time. At one point they were about 50 yds. I told him to get ready they were coming down the other sided of the river. We were set up at the top end of a blown down pine tree and the butt end was on the other side of the river. I bird jumped up on the butt end of the log and gobbled than jumped down, I did some yelps and cackled and the bird jumped back up on the log and started to cross the river to us. Than he slipped and than flew wright to us a 26 yds. I said shoot him!! his gun went off and down he went!! I had tears in my eyes I was so HAPPY and proud that he shot it with one of my Parkers:) and I saw it all! 20 lbs, 9 1/2 in beard and 3/4 inch spurs. :bowdown:

Robin Lewis
05-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Wow, great hunt!!!!! I hope I get the opportunity to do that too when my grandson get that age (10 more years). Great to see the young hunters succeed. Was this his very first hunt?

scott kittredge
05-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Wow, great hunt!!!!! I hope I get the opportunity to do that too when my grandson get that age (10 more years). Great to see the young hunters succeed. Was this his very first hunt?

He did hunt with his farther a couple of times, but 1st hunt with me. He called me wed. and asked if I got my bird yet and said he has only seen 2 hens. I did think he wanted to hunt turkeys (:banghead: I didn't think to ask) so I asked if he want to go with me. What a day!

Dean Romig
05-25-2014, 02:22 PM
It gets no better that that!

Can't wait to get my grandkids out for turkey with me - and deer too. Already had Cam with me to grouse camp a few times and he loves it!

Those days are the very best!

Jerry Harlow
05-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Congratulations Scott and Zach. That is so hard to accomplish on a first hunt, but that should have Zach hooked forever. I'll bet you have a permanent Parker-shooting hunting partner now.

WilliamJanelle
05-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Great hunt Scott! Zach will remember that hunt forever. Time to get him a S x S.

KCordell
05-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Excellent hunt.

Frank Cronin
05-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Awesome write up and great picture Scottie! You must be real proud!

I agree with Billy.... he needs a SxS......

I think you got a future crow buster partner as well.

charlie cleveland
05-27-2014, 10:21 PM
that sure was a great day in the field for you scott...grandson getting a very nice bird and took with a 28 ga parker..not many people can say they have taken a big tom with a 28 ga...i m sure that the grandson will long remember this moment...charlie

rufus thames
05-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Congratulations to both Scott and Zach !!!
per. Rufus

Pete Lester
10-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Sent from Scott's phone this morning. His grandson Zach leaving the woods with his first Turkey.

Dean Romig
10-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Spring turkey, judging from the green foliage, I presume?

Nice work Zach!! Congratulations!

scott kittredge
10-16-2014, 10:48 AM
yes Dean, i just couldn't get pic from cell phone to putter, thanks ,Pete

Dean Romig
10-16-2014, 10:52 AM
How old is Zach?

scott kittredge
10-16-2014, 12:57 PM
How old is Zach?

Dean, he is 12, will be on his 1st youth deer hunt on the 25th of oct, he won't be useing a parker this time.:)