PDA

View Full Version : Not a Parker but had to share

tom tutwiler
05-06-2014, 04:09 PM
101 year old Custom Fox 12 gauge that I call the Abby Gun named after my now 14 year old Golden Retriever. First Turkey and RST number 6's were the load of choice. PS. Cell phone photo is pretty darn good.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1380/13671966/24505724/409369620.jpg

Peter Clark
05-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Very nice tom, Tom. FYI, I used to live in Waterford.
-plc-

tom tutwiler
05-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Very nice tom, Tom. FYI, I used to live in Waterford.
-plc-

Talk about some good hunting in its day. Loudoun Co. is still probably the best deer hunting in the state. However, you have to know someone to find a place and I know nobody. :)

Jerry Harlow
05-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Tom,

When did you kill him, this week? Tell us the details. Distance, choke, etc. Gobbling?

charlie cleveland
05-06-2014, 10:02 PM
very nice tom and a good looking fox...charlie

tom tutwiler
05-07-2014, 05:23 AM
Tom,

When did you kill him, this week? Tell us the details. Distance, choke, etc. Gobbling?

Killed last Saturday. Gobbled 4 times total. Abby gun is chokes .010 and .35. Probably should have used the more open barrel because he was so close (20 yards). However I pulled the rear trigger and over he fell. I must have held a tad higher then normal because he was facing me and I had zero pellets in the breast which make for fine eating.:)

Dean Romig
05-07-2014, 06:39 AM
I must have held a tad higher then normal because he was facing me and I had zero pellets in the breast which make for fine eating.:)

With a stationary target like a turkey the bead should always be placed on its head. I've never had a pellet in the breast of any turkey I've shot. Pellets in the meat will not put the bird down.

Congratulations Tom on such a fine bird and a beautiful Fox.

tom tutwiler
05-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Yep, I normally aim between the base of the neck and his head. Because of pattern spread I will often get a pellet or two high in the breast.

PS. When I was a young fellow and shot one of my first gobbling/full strutting turkeys I was so nervous I aimed at the middle of the turkey and cut loose a 3.5" 12 gauge Number 5 Winchester load turkey load at 20 yards. Giant puff of feathers and a very uneatable turkey. Have gotten much better since. Did however shoot over the head of more then one even now, hence why I drop my aiming point about 4" below the head.

Peter Clark
05-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Talk about some good hunting in its day. Loudoun Co. is still probably the best deer hunting in the state. However, you have to know someone to find a place and I know nobody. :)

Yes, we were lucky as we lived on a farm right next to town with many deer and had access to a couple more. I don't know how many deer I shot there but usually some with every type of weapon. I know I shot 5 with my muzzle loader one year. We had all my wife's family and our friends supplied with corn fed venison. The deer numbers were actually kind of a problem then. We left there in 1997. I hope it is still as pretty a place.