PDA

View Full Version : 410 and Turkey

Bruce Day
04-29-2014, 06:23 PM
My good buddy the Missouri turnip farmer bagged a turkey this morning with a PH 410. One half ounce of 7 1/2's at 20 feet with a head shot kills them every time.

Jack Cronkhite
04-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Nicely done. Next is the meal which I'm sure will (or has been) delicious. Cheers, Jack

Jerry Harlow
04-29-2014, 08:10 PM
That'll teach him to strut in someone's turnip patch. Any man that takes a .410 after a tom I admire. And not even using a 3 inch shell. Please tell me he had a 3 incher in the other barrel with at least 11/16 shot for long range shots.

Dean Romig
04-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Doesn't your farmer buddy know you need 3 1/2" Ultra Mags with 1 5/8 oz. of #4 copper plated kryptonite shot to kill a turkey?

Sheesh - Some people!!

Anyway...Congratulations to Mr. Turnip Farmer, whoever he is :whistle:

Greg Phillips
04-29-2014, 09:42 PM
What is more rare than taking a Turkey with a 410, is taking it with a PH 410, The Parker Story says only 5 made??....Thats rare-Nice pic

Mills Morrison
04-29-2014, 09:58 PM
It goes to show that all it takes is one well placed shot. Aren't PH 410's about as rare as Invincibles?

Bruce Day
04-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Yes, about as rare. There is even a fake, or more politely, upgraded, P 410 made from a V and passed off as a P . This is an original P 410.

And here is a wild Kansas rooster shot in the head and dead in the air from this 410. Just pick your shots and shoot well.

Mills Morrison
04-30-2014, 08:40 AM
My wife shoots a 410 Marlin/LC Smith on quail and she either kills them dead or misses them altogether, as it should be.

Richard Flanders
04-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Too cool. He was threatening to try this last fall. Glad it worked; no reason it shouldn't.

Dave Purnell
04-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Not Parker, but I tried using a .410 on a dove shoot once. What a waste of a perfectly good plantation dove shoot invite. A very humbling experience.

Stephen Hodges
05-01-2014, 12:58 PM
While it seems “cool” to shoot a Turkey with such a smallbore shotgun, care must be taken by the individual hunter to make sure that they are hunting ethically and only take very close shots. Here in New Hampshire (and in Maine also) it is illegal to hunt wild turkeys with anything smaller than a twenty gauge shotgun, and no shot larger than #2. I personally think this is a well thought out regulation, aimed at assuring to the best of our ability, that we cleanly and as humainly as possible dispatch the bird. This question was brought up during my 13 tenure as a Fish and Game Commissioner here in NH and both the biologists and law enforcement divisions were in strict opposition to changing the regulation. I agreed.

Dean Romig
05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
While it seems “cool” to shoot a Turkey with such a small bore shotgun, care must be taken by the individual hunter to make sure that they are hunting ethically and only take very close shots. Here in New Hampshire (and in Maine also) it is illegal to hunt wild turkeys with anything smaller than a twenty gauge shotgun, and no shot smaller than #2. I personally think this is a well thought out regulation, aimed at assuring to the best of our ability, that we cleanly and as humainly as possible dispatch the bird. This question was brought up during my 13 tenure as a Fish and Game Commissioner here in NH and both the biologists and law enforcement divisions were in strict opposition to changing the regulation. I agreed.

"and no shot smaller than #2" in my opinion is 'archaic' and the result of ammo manufacturer's hype.

None the less, shooting a wild turkey with a .410 loaded with an adequate shot size to ensure a dense pattern and sufficient penetration to break bones within a reasonable distance is admirable.... and the farmer in this case did all that.

Bruce Day
05-01-2014, 03:04 PM
He watched three turkeys for about 45 minutes edge closer and closer to his blind. Then when about a rooms length away and head fully exposed, he pulled the trigger. The bird dropped and flopped about in circles with a brain shot. Careful, well done and humane.

That kind of hunting is not for everybody, but when a person can walk 100 yards from his house and have his pick of many turkeys every day, he can afford to be selective and if you pass up a chancy shot, a better shot will come along. My friend has killed a turkey with every gauge of Parker from 410 to 10, he doesn't own an 8 ga.

I don't much listen to the ammo makers.....if I did I would have to use Prairie Storm or some such with 1 3/8 oz of 4's at 1500 fps in a 3 inch 12ga magnum to kill a pheasant and buy the 75 round box for a 3 day preserve hunt in South Dakota.

Stephen Hodges
05-01-2014, 03:33 PM
"and no shot smaller than #2" in my opinion is 'archaic' and the result of ammo manufacturer's hype.

None the less, shooting a wild turkey with a .410 loaded with an adequate shot size to ensure a dense pattern and sufficient penetration to break bones within a reasonable distance is admirable.... and the farmer in this case did all that.

Dean, in this case I will respectfully disagree with you. And I edited my last post to reflect "no shot larger" rather than smaller. My error.

Dean Romig
05-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Well naoww.... that changes everthing I would think...

Thanks Steve

Best, Dean

Stephen Hodges
05-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Well naoww.... that changes everthing I would think...

Thanks Steve

Best, Dean

That's what's great about this forum..................good folks can disagree..................even though I am right:rotf:

Dean Romig
05-01-2014, 05:36 PM
:rotf: You are not!..... :biglaugh:

Stephen Hodges
05-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Ok.............................Ok................. .........we need to end this now:banghead: