PDA

View Full Version : West Texas, Spurs and Damascus

Todd Schrock
04-09-2014, 01:12 PM
I just returned from my annual spring turkey hunt in Mertzon, Tx. This was the fifteenth year I have hunted this ranch and the range conditions were poor and very dry for spring. The only green on the landscape was the cedar trees and cactus. No grass or wildflowers this year but there were a good number of turkeys and I was able to call in and connect on two mature toms with my 1902 DH 10ga. using RST #5's. The old 10 and the RST's performed flawlessly at 16 and 39 yards!
I could have had a turkey double with my Parker on several hunts but the birds were taken on separate days. The birds this year were very vocal and responsive to calling so it made for a very enjoyable hunt! :)

Dean Romig
04-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Congratulations Todd!!

Looks like the one hangin' from the tree was the sixteen yarder :shock:

Angel Cruz
04-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Way to go Todd!!!

Jay Gardner
04-09-2014, 03:47 PM
You are doing that old gun justice. Congratulations!

Jerry Harlow
04-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Congratulations Todd!!

Looks like the one hangin' from the tree was the sixteen yarder :shock:

I save all of my turkey heads and necks for my taxidermist friend. He says people bring them in looking like that and want a full mount! But they leave much of the head behind in the woods. He puts on a new head and neck and they are amazed at his work, and never know the difference.

Todd Schrock
04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Yeah, the 10ga. is a little rough on the facial at 16 yards! He did a complete flip when the #5's made contact so I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

charlie cleveland
04-09-2014, 05:42 PM
my congratulations on some fine birds..looks like them rst shells will drop one at short or long range..the spurs look mighty long and that one thats fuzzed up looks great...i have yet to get my turkey..birds still not vocal to cool...charlie

wayne goerres
04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Supposed to hit the 80s by the end of the week. Maybe then we will hear the turkeys gobble.

Todd Schrock
04-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Charlie, earlier in the week prior to my hunt, the temps were pushing 90 until a cold front pushed through last Friday morning. The mornings were in the mid 40's but by noon it was 70 so from daylight until 10:30 the action was slow and quiet. From 10:30 on, the action and the temp heated up.
These birds in this area have always worked best when hot. For the last six or so years, we have not had much of a winter. And in turn it seems to have affected the spring turkey hunting to where they haven't been in the normal roaming, vocal, breeding mode. They have been silent for the most part every year. This year, we are coming off of a normal, long winter and the birds seemed to really be back to their normal vocal, roaming patterns.

charlie cleveland
04-09-2014, 10:21 PM
todd our turkey are not in there usal modes either..suppose to be 43 at daylight and about77 by 3.00 pm till the hens have gone on there nest the old gobblers ain t gota be to vocal..i m like you the turkeys do a lot better with hot weather.. charlie

Larry Mason
04-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Here is one from this morning with my Damascus 20 Gauge "G" grade.

Todd Schrock
04-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Way to go Larry! That is a fine looking bird and a mighty fine Parker.:)

charlie cleveland
04-13-2014, 04:43 PM
good bird what kinda shot and load were you useing in the 20 ga and how far was the bird taken...never hunted with a 20 on turkey maybe i m missing something...charlie

Larry Mason
04-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Howdy Charlie,
I use # 4 & 5 RST shells. Last year I killed one of my three with a "D" Grade Damascus 10 gauge that I purchased from one of our members and used RST shells in that also. But, I have been killing birds with a 20 gauge for years. I love the light weight!

Jerry Harlow
04-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Larry,

Good calling using a 20! I like the way you "wrap up" your stock. Mine look the same when I go in the woods. Too much money in new or good finishes to scratch them and you always do no matter how careful you are.

Dean Romig
04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
I took a 28 ga. Repro with me for Vermont turkeys a few years back. I had complete confidence in the gun's abilities with IC & MOD as long as I could get the right shot at 25 yards or so. It almost happened... It was 11:55 a.m. (hunting ends at noon sharp) when I was awakened by a rustle in the dry leaves to my right. I slowly turned my head to see what caused the noise to see a Jurassic long-beard skulking by me like a raptor about fifteen yards away. He was immediately alerted by my moving my head and gave me the slip immediately.... poof - gone!

Harold Lee Pickens
04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
I usually carry the 870 12 ga during turkey season, but this year I believe I,ll have to carry a double. My Parkers are mostly open choked, but a little Lefever G 16 is F/F. Have to go load some 1 oz loads of 5's. Have killed lots of turkeys, but never one with a double--my favorite call?--I just use my voice.