PDA

View Full Version : turkey hunting

charlie cleveland
03-17-2014, 09:28 PM
well i got up at 4 am was in the woods by 6 am..it was a long wait this morning plus it was very cold and damp..i wore lots of clothing but evedently i did not wear enough by 10.00 i was about frozen..i had one of the best blinds i ve had in a while a nice bushy area alongside of a soybean field that had been gathered and a creek that ran just beyond the edge of the field..i never heard a gobble this morning so i stayed in the blind till 10.00thats when i heard a dog a running something well were nt long till i seen this big gobbler a pell melling it down the big field..i called to him and he stopped his run for a moment for a instance i thought he was comeing in to the decoys..but he was only resting for then he took off and i ai nt seen him since...well i said i m gonna stick out the hunt all day but at 12.00 i was so cold all i could think of was going to the house..on the way to the truck 3 big canada geese were in that soybean field they seen me walking out and did they ever voice there disapprovel of me being in there field they never flew...when i got home i turned the heater on high and it was 7.00 pm before i got warm again...it was in the high 30 s today here but its been a long time since i ve been that cold...i hated to give the hunt up today but heh there s tommorrow...charlie

charlie cleveland
03-18-2014, 01:55 PM
well today i took off from hunting to do some nessary repairs on the lawn more and looked at some metal car garages..but will be back at it again at 4.00 am..gona go back and see if i can call up that big gobbler the hound dog was a running maybe he did not go to florida...charlie

wayne goerres
03-18-2014, 03:03 PM
I hope he has a cousin in Lagrange Ga.

Angel Cruz
03-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Charlie, if he makes it to Florida I let you know...

charlie cleveland
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
got up at 4.00 am and was in the woods a setting on my chair by 6.15 am...never heard a gobble..it should have been goose season about 15 big canadians flew rite over the top of me they were checking out the turkey decoys....i hunted till noon and had to pack up..i will be up early again in the morning these cold mornings are sure messing up the gobbling so far...charlie

charlie cleveland
03-21-2014, 02:34 PM
took the day off to work on the farm instead of hunting today..there was a big frost this morning and now at2.20 its in the 70 s..any wayno work got done i loade up my 4 wheeler with steel fence posts and took off to the farm it s about 3 miles to the property as i went down a steep hill my 4 wheeler gave a big back fire through the muffler..i worked on it with what tools i had but i had no plud wrench with me..i think the carb.messed up and flooded and the plug quit fireing is my guess..it now sits down in the woods by it self..will have to hitch up my trailer and go get it and its in a bad place to boot...i shoulda just went hunting...charlie

Mills Morrison
03-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Today was a historic day as it was the first turkey hunt with three generations of Morrisons. Took the big eight with charlies shells. One gobbled early and we set up in a big thicket of bamboo shrubbery. Dad and Harry called with the gobbler for over an hour and he thought hard about it but was scared to come out of the open into the thicket. What can I say other than his fears were well founded. There will be a rematch though

charlie cleveland
03-21-2014, 09:46 PM
little does that old big gobbler no that he better not stick around long that old 8 ga will reach out and touch him...great morning hunt...sometimes the old gobbler just can not be coached in...my dad called me yesterday evening and told me i was hunting in the wrong places..he said a big gobbler was in his front yard acting like he owned the place...was gona go hunting in the morning but i ve got a eye doctor appointment..charlie

Gary Laudermilch
03-24-2014, 09:42 AM
I was outside just after daybreak yesterday morning taking my setters for a run. A picked cornfield across from my house had 44 turkeys in it. Many gobblers strutting but I never heard a gobble.

About a week ago I saw a flock of 16 long beard gobblers together in the same field. Not a jake among them.

Mills Morrison
03-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Ours are gobbling up a storm, but just not coming in.

Angel Cruz
03-24-2014, 12:06 PM
I was out till 12 on Saturday. No turkeys and no shots heard.

wayne goerres
03-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Tried my hand at turkey hunting Saturday. Never saw a bird. Wished it was deer season. the deer about ran me over. Must have done a good job with the camo. they never saw me.

charlie cleveland
03-24-2014, 08:55 PM
me i gota work this week maybe can go saturday...hope somebody is chaseing them long beards..charlie

Mills Morrison
03-29-2014, 09:36 PM
We went to a WMA today and did not see anything. Had a good time though

charlie cleveland
03-29-2014, 10:17 PM
it rained here this morning then turned off cold..so i did not go today i must be getting soft... charlie

charlie cleveland
04-01-2014, 10:16 PM
it was a perfect day here in ole miss..if i even think of picking up a gun it either frosts or the wind blows so hard and turns cold..but next week end and the following week i will chase the long beards till they either give up or i wear out...charlie

Jerry Harlow
04-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Charlie,

Youth day this coming Saturday. Sure wish I was 15 again. Well, maybe just for the weekend.

Phillip Carr
04-01-2014, 11:06 PM
15 more days and turkey season starts in New Mexico. Starting to get the itch real bad. Did not draw a tag for Arizona, but New Mexico is just as close, plus you get 2 tags. Parker 8 hammer gun on a 7 frame is together so I hope to get a turkey with the 8. Just hope I do not need to get off a logging road to far, it gets heaver the further I carry it.

charlie cleveland
04-02-2014, 06:57 PM
you got that right about getting heaver with each step..but i truly love these big heavy hunks of iron... for the youth hunt boy 15 was good but for being 15 again don t think so...i hope you get one with the 8 ga a real big one...charlie

charlie cleveland
04-04-2014, 09:55 PM
will be getting up at 4.00 in themorning..have took off for a week of turkey chaseing..its cooled down in my region it rained this morning but the sun came out so maybe a turkey will feel vocal in the morning...wish me luck...charlie

Mills Morrison
04-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Good luck. I got a new call today so maybe that will be the charm

Mills Morrison
04-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Took my oldest son and he had a great time, but is having trouble with the be still and don't talk part. Still had a good time. Fun to watch Mills having a good time in the woods. Was an excuse to go to Lester's BBQ which made the trip worthwhile by itself

charlie cleveland
04-05-2014, 10:50 PM
boy its hard to set still at your son s age to many distractions my to be young again..i m really glad your takeing your boys hunting with you..i was nearly grown before i got to go turkey hunting.. this morning it was cold here i got into the woods just rite but i never heard a single gobble..i set my decoys out in a soybean field i could see the field good an i had a small creek also that i could see over...it was a excellant spot...all at once i seen a big black object as daylight appered i says to myself looks like a turkey thats blowed up.well as daylihgt got better i could clearly see that it was not a turkey it turned out to be a cow there musta been 40 of them.the cows were suppose to be on the other side of the creek they musta found a hole in the fence..well i figured they would not scare the turkeys off since i have seen them both together before..then more company came by boy was i having a field day abot 25 geese big canadians came and landed in front of me you could not have heard a turkey if it hada been setting by ya...them geese sure had a lot of gabbing to do and were they noisey...well i got my call out after the geese quieted down i gave a few loud calls and boy was that a mistake all the cows came over and gave my decoys a looking over the geese started up again and this went on for a while.the cows left and the geese picked up and flew and charlie done the same..i went to a coupla more spots and called but no turkeys were seen or heard...but all in all a good day afield was had by me...going in the morning before church maybe i ll hear one... charlie

Mills Morrison
04-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Looks like it is going to rain today. I am going to try to get out without them some so I have a chance of getting one.

Mills was just fascinated by the woods yesterday and wanted to explore. That is a good thing as it was really beautiful. We were on a pine ridge with the Savannah River swamp just beyond us.

charlie cleveland
04-06-2014, 10:21 AM
what a sight that must have been..i hunted from 5-30 till 7-30 this morning with no luck i can not think of any mirrows i have broken lately...good luck...charlie

charlie cleveland
04-07-2014, 10:12 AM
raining here maybe it will slack off after awhile..some of my best hunting has been done in the rain...charlie

charlie cleveland
04-08-2014, 06:19 PM
well to day i was up at 4.30 sharpgot my dinner packed and rest of my turkey gear loaded and noticed that the winshield was frozen over and was so foggy that seeing was a problem..so back in the house and got a pan of warm water and used it to defrost the winshield and other windows..yeah i need to fix the fan motor...so soon we were at the big beanfield now just a half mile walk onver a muddy field and i was at my little blind...the fog finally lifted and across the field i seen a turkey yep a sure enough turkey.. i had my binoculars with me but the turkey was quite at a distance maybe 300 yards but i could tell that it did not have a large beard but thought just maybe it will have a 6 inch beard which is legal in miss. ... it took that bird over 2 hours to make its way over too me and my dummy decoy hen..well at 10 yards i could plainly see this bird had no beard at all..after 30 minutes of the bird trying to get the hen decoy to talk to him he finally gave up on that stuck up hen who was ny talking to him..i then broke out the lunch a finer meal no king ever had..i had a can of viennas a whole pack of crackers a bottle of water and a little debbie s cupcake for desert...it was 1.00pm at this time i was through with dinner so i settled in and was waiting on the big gobbler to show up..well nothing showed up but the canadian honkers.. i guess i then kinda got to relaxed the sun was sure nice and warm next thing i knowed i was woke up by a big clap of thunder...yes sir ole man sun had left and a full blown thunder storm was up on me..i gathered up my gear and cut out for the truckthat field looked to be a mile across..well i mayed it to the truck just as i opened the door on the truck the bottom fell out.yep raining hard..one thing for sure a thunder storm will get your heart rate up in a hurry acrossing a muddy bean field and a carry all that gear...anyway it beats being at work...charlie

Angel Cruz
04-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Charlie, what are your hunting hours in ole Miss? We can only hunt till noon in the spring.
I'm giving up on the Big Cypress swamp and trying a different place come Saturday.

charlie cleveland
04-08-2014, 10:37 PM
angel our hunting hours are from daylight to sundown..pretty good hours..i m gonna go after them again in the morning but its raining at the moment i ve not had many good hours to hunt..maybe tommorrow my luck will change...charlie

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
04-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Charlie: Enjoy your hunting stories, so keep at it and you will have your big Turkey before you know it. Thomas

Mills Morrison
04-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Don't worry Charlie, you aren't the only frustrated turkey hunter out there

Angel Cruz
04-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Charlie. I have to wait till the fall season to hunt from sunrise to sunset. Starting next season we'll be allowed to take two birds in one day, though the limit is still two in a season.

charlie cleveland
04-09-2014, 10:24 PM
gona be in the woods by 5.00 in the morning..did not go today as it was real cool and windy this morning..hope everybodys luck changes including me...charlie

charlie cleveland
04-10-2014, 07:15 PM
got up at 4.00 this morning and was in the woods by 5.30..it was cool about 43 degrees but wind was still and the sun soon rose ..musta been too cold for them turkeys not a peep did they make. so came to the house with plans to go again in the morning at a differant location...charlie

charlie cleveland
04-11-2014, 08:57 PM
well the same old time 4.00 and in the woods by 5.15 this morning..i hunted the soybean field again just knew this would be my day..at about 7.00 3 dogs began running close to me 2 of themrun out in the field and really put on the brakes when trhey saw the decoys..the smaller dog really went to yelping at the decoys..to get him to shut up i raised up were he could see me i then told them to git but to no avail.the little dog had run backwards but i reckon i had scared him bad and he was letting the world know i was there..finally i had enough i raised the old gun up and fired a round over the dogs head..well this broke up the yapping both dogs were gunshy...they left in a hurry well i figured a turkey mite still come my way so i stayed with my setup..after about and hour thoi them same dogs were running again they brought a small doie deer by me..i packed up and went home it was 11.00by then...i eat a bite then decided to try a new area that i ve never hunted.i checked the tires on my bycikle and off the wild life managment area..i was hunting right on the levi of the tombigbee canal..sure was pretty i should have carried my fishing pole them boys i talked to said the crappie were really biteing...anyway i rode that 2 wheeler for over 2 miles.i shoulda been rideing that thing before turkey season been a year since i was rideing that thing..well the wind got up and i quit hunting at 3.00 anw way it was a good hunt..gona take off tommorrow going to a car show in jackson tennessee...hope some of you boys get one tommorrow...charlie

charlie cleveland
04-12-2014, 07:18 PM
well i did not go turkey hunting this morning but i almost went back to the house and git my gun when i saw this...my friend came by and picked me up at 7.00 am we were headed to a car show as we passed his house then all at once what do we see there was a big tom and 3 hens in a pasture the big tom was showing all his male prowness he was in full strut and every feather was in full color with the sun hitting the feathers..he was puffed up good...his old head had turned from blue to a almost white in color.he was one fine lookin bird...i hope to get to chase the old bird soon... charlie

John Dallas
04-12-2014, 07:23 PM
What about the car show?

charlie cleveland
04-13-2014, 07:46 PM
i posted down in the topic section on the cars...anyway going after the gobbler in the morning even though it s suppose to be raining and by wednesday be 33 degrees and windy..i think the weather gods are mad at me...charlie

Mills Morrison
04-14-2014, 07:08 AM
It has been a tough season here in SC. A friend of ours who is a real die hard has been every day and only has one so far.

Dean Romig
04-14-2014, 08:15 AM
One good longbeard should make anyone happy. I've gone without any enough seasons to know.

Mills Morrison
04-14-2014, 09:05 AM
This friend is over 200 for his lifetime. He is in his 90's now. Seeing or hearing them gets me excited.

Mills Morrison
04-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Word has it they have not been calling much and have not been moving much this year. Lots of frustrated hunters in the lowcountry this season.

I saw two gobblers while out with my youngest son this weekend, so that got him all excited. It was on the ride back to the house, but I will take sightings as I get them.

One thing about turkey hunting, it is easy on the shotgun shell budget.

Jerry Harlow
04-14-2014, 11:12 AM
"One thing about turkey hunting, it is easy on the shotgun shell budget."

Except if you shoot the 3.5 inch Hevi-shot turkey loads. $6 a shell. So if you miss about twice at the same bird, you'll have more than one reason to cry. I can't imagine missing three times at $18.

Mills Morrison
04-14-2014, 11:34 AM
I use RST no. 5's and it is not too bad. Now if I miss with the 8 gauge . . . that is another story

John Dallas
04-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Why 3.5"? (I hope the answer isn't "Because they don't make a 4 inch"
Why Hevi shot?

1 1/4 oz of lead 6's is plenty strong medicine.

Jerry Harlow
04-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Why a 30-06 when a 70 grain big game bullet in a 22-250 will do? Sometimes you want them to stay put.

I laugh at tv hunters with the perfect calling where the bird comes in and struts right in front of the camera for five minutes or more. Mine always seem to be in a six year old pine plantation peeping between the branches to see you while you look for them. There is a difference between hunting fields and thick woods.

Killed one this morning with the 10 hammer Parker, could have done it with a 20, waiting long enough with a .410. But one never knows. Same bird came to 60 yards three times Saturday, and I had big-medicine waiting for him then. Just needed ten more yards in. But did not want to cripple him.

Why hevi-shot? Superior patterns. Dead as a door-nail dead. No flopping.

To each his own. Bad weather and it will always be a parkerized synthetic modern gun, loaded to the max.

Mills Morrison
04-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Yeah. Turkey hunting cannot be condensed into an 8 minute Youtube video

Ron Gebhart
04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
You are living the good life Charlie!
Ron

Mills Morrison
04-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Charlie, I got tired of waiting for a turkey to try out your shells for the old 8, so shot four of them at sporting clays this weekend. What an experience! Now looking to get set up for reloading myself. I sure appreciate your sending me the shells

charlie cleveland
04-14-2014, 10:54 PM
your welcome mills i hope you get to shoot a turkey with that 8 ga..it rained here all day today and is raining now i hope it stops by morning i ve got the clock set for4.00... charlie

Jerry Harlow
04-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Charlie,

Wish you had kept all that rain and cold weather. Rained cats and dogs all day yesterday and frost overnight. Had 8 new apple trees and one peach had to cover last night, and they call for frost again tonight.

Heard a gobbler at daybreak and thought it would be a good day to sneak right in on him, except all the leaves were frozen this morning. Sat down 100 yards away, but he would not answer once he came to the ground.

My six hens are still there where I killed the gobbler, now going to be old maids I guess. I'll give them a week and I'll bet some new man moves in. Just like when an old fart dies and the next thing you know theres a young whipper-snapper living with the widow using his guns, cars, money, and wife.

Saw another strutting at 10 a.m. but by the time I figured how to get across the beaver swamp he was gone from the field. But I'll be there tomorrow before first light if all goes as planned. Any luck today?

Mills Morrison
04-16-2014, 02:50 PM
That is turkey hunting. Those who have never been would never understand why it is so addictive, but we know

Jerry Harlow
04-16-2014, 03:01 PM
That is turkey hunting. Those who have never been would never understand why it is so addictive, but we know

The most exciting time of year. Until the next season comes in. But it is one of the best. By the end of our five week season which is a total of 31 days I am worn to a frazzle. Little sleep and bone tired. But each day in the woods is a blessing, and you are right, until one has done it, one would not understand the drive to get out of a warm bed to go listen for a bird that with his little bird-brain wins almost every time.

Mills Morrison
04-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Planning to blitz it this weekend and hopefully get one. Not taking the kids and hoping to block out all Saturday and half of Sunday. We will see. I have been lucky to hear or see something most of the time, even when I was out later in the day.

Dean Romig
04-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Be careful of those old longbeards that clam up and won't say a word after you call. They're wise to you or aren't sure of who or what is over there sounding like another bird...... They'll sneak in on you from a different direction and stay in the thick stuff watching for you to give yourself away when you scratch an itch or turn your head looking around and then, BAM... you're busted!!!!

Mills Morrison
04-16-2014, 03:19 PM
That is right Another reason it is so much fun.

Mills Morrison
04-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Every turkey hunter should own and read a copy of America's Greatest Game: Archibald Rutledge's Turkey Stories, edited by Jim Casada. Great stories and lots of pointers on techniques. A lot of the stories take place in South Carolina, but there are a fair amount that take place in the Pennsylvania/West Virginia mountains, for you northern hunters.

Rutledge hunted with a Parker to boot

Dean Romig
04-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Ahem..... Pennsylvania and West Virginia ain't even close to "northern". :bigbye:

Mills Morrison
04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
They didn't secede, did they? :whistle:

Dean Romig
04-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Okay, I get it.... I thought you were talking latitude, but now I see you're defining North in terms of the Mason-Dixon line of demarcation... :)

Angel Cruz
04-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Be careful of those old longbeards that clam up and won't say a word after you call. They're wise to you or aren't sure of who or what is over there sounding like another bird...... They'll sneak in on you from a different direction and stay in the thick stuff watching for you to give yourself away when you scratch an itch or turn your head looking around and then, BAM... you're busted!!!!

Dean, I'm sure that has happened to me this season. You're lucky to get one gobble out of an Osceola. After that is all a waiting game to see who makes the first mistake.

Jerry Harlow
04-16-2014, 08:37 PM
That's why I make my last call at least thirty minutes before I get up to leave. I gave that bird that much or more this morning before I got up. They are all "henned up" here first thing in the morning. The hens are flying down and moving to him while he is on the roost. Unless you get close enough where he can sail down to you, it is tough now.

charlie cleveland
04-18-2014, 08:26 PM
up at 4.00and in the woods by 5.15..i hunted hard todayit was a interesting day..the early morning produced no gobbling heard..i then came to the house at 8.30 and had breakfast with the wife..nothing like a good long morning walk to make a man hungary..the grandaughter came over and said she had seen some turkey tracks were she rides her horse on a old road...as i walked down the old road watching for turkey sign i see a huge deer track but upon farther looking it was a large hog track..this is the first wild hog track i ve seen close to my house...any way back to turkey hunting..i finally found a spot i liked and made a stand for about 30 minutes..i did get a cakle out of a jake but he never came in..i then went back to the house made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich..throwed me some vienie s in a sack some crackers and a coupla dr pepper s.then off to the big soybean field but before i got to the field i seen a gobbler in a green field i stopped and circled around the small field got inbehind a large cedar tree and called to him..well here he come i got the gun up on ready if that beard hada been a inch longer...well let himgo into the woods and cut outa there when the big jake left...i went to the big soybean field got my binockulers and gun i eased up to the field but all i seen was abut 4 big canadian honkers and a field full of crows..i decided not to hunt the big field i decided to hunt my grandfathers old place instead..going there i see another big jake but it s beard was on the short side..finalkly reached my stand and i put out the decoys..i then set there till 5.30 with nothing seen or heard...it was a good hunt....charlie

Angel Cruz
04-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Charlie. there's a beard length requirement in your state?? Tomorrow is the last day of the season for me, I'll be up at 4.

Mills Morrison
04-18-2014, 10:09 PM
I am planning on blitzing it this weekend.

Jerry Harlow
04-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Charlie and all,

Two gobblers in the trees before good light gobbling. Got as close as I dared and gave them my best, and they flew down about 100 yards away. Hens would not let them come to me, as they will do, in fact carried them the other way, as they will always do if possible.

Heard another. It was the same bird I had fooled with four mornings this week. Saw him Wednesday at 10 a.m. Could not get across swamp. Daybreak Thursday set up in his strut zone at 6:08 a.m. Five hours. He never called (very cold). Walked two miles to him Friday, and he shut up when I got there. Got to him this morning in good time, 8 a.m. After thirty minutes of courtship, here he came, big white head and all puffed up.

Went to my right which made it difficult. I aimed carefully at his head. Twenty-five yards and a big 10 gauge. Easy. Knew I had him. Trouble is the sights and rib were on his head, and the right barrel full of number fours was headed to a maple tree ten yards away. Second shot, well he was hauling a__ over the hill so it was wasted into the ground from what I could see.

Had I been using a single-barreled gun, dead bird. Had I thought about what you see down the rib is not what is going to happen if there is a tree off to the side, a dead bird. My second bird is safely in the woods I am guessing, not a single feather could be found.

I don't think he will respond to that call again.

charlie cleveland
04-19-2014, 05:21 PM
boy them kinda misses really hurt..but i could not help but smile a little..i heard a fellow one time say after he had missed a big turkey say how can a man miss something as big as a wash tub with a shotgun... i went this morning it was cool i gave my best calls but nothing was seen or heard..a turkey has to have at least a 6 inch beard in miss....i ve got till may 1 to bring something home... charlie

Angel Cruz
04-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Jerry, at least you saw a turkey. Spent 6 hrs in the woods today and only saw a cotton mouth.

Mills Morrison
04-19-2014, 07:05 PM
The better part of the day got shot by helping my wife get her car's oil changed. Did get out this afternoon for awhile, but saw nothing

Bob Dombeck
04-20-2014, 10:46 AM
My season here in MN starts Mon. morning. My wife and I will be out giving it a shot. A friend of mine and his son each got their birds on the same farm this past weekend and saw several other Toms so we're hopin for the best.
I'll be using my VH 12ga in hopes it can add another bird to it's history.
As long as we have decent weather and see a few birds that's all I can ask as it's great to be out this time of year.

scott kittredge
04-20-2014, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=Jerry Harlow;137360]

the right barrel full of number fours was headed to a maple tree ten yards away.
maybe 2's next time??:) Can't wait for our season to open on the 3rd:corn:

Jerry Harlow
04-20-2014, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Jerry Harlow;137360]

the right barrel full of number fours was headed to a maple tree ten yards away.
maybe 2's next time??:) Can't wait for our season to open on the 3rd:corn:

Yep. Had I shot the left barrel, he would be in the freezer now. Had spent about $45 with shipping getting a 10 pound bag of nickel plated number 4s to my house from Precision Reloading. Loaded an ounce and a half in the 10 gauge hull and the pattern was perfect at 40 yards. Wanted to try them out so I did, and they sure can kill a tree.:cuss:

Good luck. There are more turkeys here than for many seasons. Theory is even though we had a wet spring last year which is supposed to kill a lot of them, there were so many high-protein cicadas around, they thrived. But with so many hens it is tough to get them to come to you.

charlie cleveland
04-20-2014, 09:40 PM
send some of them over populated turkeys my way..we usally have several turkeys in my area but for some reasoni have not seen to many this year..i have not tried you load out yet but i will it looks like i might have to start tree hunting before long...charlie

Phillip Carr
04-21-2014, 12:36 AM
I got lucky and took a nice bird Wednesday morning. Unfortunately the 8 gauge was just to heavy to hump into the woods were we located him and used a auto. We put a bird to bed at dark the night before using a hoot owl call. Back before sun up but when my brother blew the owl call to locate him he was already on the ground less than 80 yards and busted us. We drove down the road and blew the call again and had 2 birds gobble about 1/2 mile up the canyon. We bailed out and at that point made a decision not to take the 8 gauge. (In retrospect wish I would have taken it. ) Ended up having 5 to 6 toms fired up. George set up below the first birds and I moved up the canyon a little further. I found a small dirt tank about 20 yards across. Placed a decoy and made a few yelps. Gobblers sounded off, but would start to come in and then hold off about 100 yards out. Finally started to try calling the hens when they yelped I called back. When the gobbler called I cut him off with a cackle. Still no good they closed the distance to about 80 yards but still would not come in. The sun came up and about an hour later some light shined on my decoy, I spoted a few hens moving through the trees so I just started purring softly with a few puts. I watched a hen look right a my decoy and started coming in very quickly with 4 other hens in tow. Suddenly there was a race as I watched one tom just tearing it up to catch up with the hens, suddenly 2 more toms joined the race with their beards just a swinging. It has been years since I had the shakes this bad. At 35 yards I sent a load of #5's his way, he went down flopping down the bank into the edge of the water and turkey's scattered every where. I did not have a scale but he is a nice mature bird with a beard just over 9" long. George is still up in the hills hunting, and has had a few chances but no luck yet. I hope to get out before the season ends and this time just take the Parker 8 gauge.

Jack Cronkhite
04-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Enjoying the stories. any pics to share? Cheers, Jack

Mills Morrison
04-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Good to know one of us finally got one

Phillip Carr
04-21-2014, 09:37 AM
George will have phone reception tomorrow when he returns and will send me the pictures. I will be sure to post them.

Fred Preston
04-21-2014, 12:54 PM
About twenty minutes into the season and ten before sunrise this morning, my friend, Dale, and I scored on a couple of young gobblers on my place. We set up and placed the deeks about five thirty and listened to a couple or three gobbling back and forth from the roost. About 6:20 down comes one and moves to the deeks. He was followed by one, two and three more. Dale got his and, a couple of seconds later, my Trojan got one for me at about 40 yards.

Mills Morrison
04-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Another nice one!

charlie cleveland
04-21-2014, 11:04 PM
you boys have got some nice birds there.. phil i hope you get another chance to use the 8 ga on a bird...i m still looking for my bird..and remember jerry s bird make sure ain t no tree in the way when you pull the trigger on them parker s .... charlie

Phillip Carr
04-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Here are a few pictures. I am holding the bird I took last week. The bird on the ground is the turkey my brother called in yesterday morning. I will head out early next week to see what I can find with the 8 gauge. Yesterday George told me he had 5 different Gobblers he set up on. This was the 4th bird. In New Mexico the limit is 2 birds per season.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/Philcarr/005-12.jpg (http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Philcarr/media/005-12.jpg.html)
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14/Philcarr/001-4.jpg (http://s557.photobucket.com/user/Philcarr/media/001-4.jpg.html)

James Brown
04-22-2014, 05:56 PM
My daughter has gone from Princess to Huntress. Her first kill,last Saturday. I think she did good. The guy who needs a shave is her most special gentleman friend now known as "Chief Guide and Outfitter". I must ask to be forgiven for a little showing off for me and for her for not useing a Parker. I'll make sure she is properly armed next time.
James

Dean Romig
04-22-2014, 06:10 PM
James, you have reason to be very proud!

Phillip Carr
04-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Very cool. Congratulation's to the both of them. My 5 year old granddaughter has been telling me regularly that she will be going hunting turkeys with me next year. It might be a little soon but I can not wait until she is old enough to go on the special Juniors hunts here in AZ.

charlie cleveland
04-22-2014, 09:35 PM
phil that was a mighty big bird a nice one for sure..the two young hunters have some nice birds too..the young lady s turkey is reall nice bird...congratulations to all...charlie

charlie cleveland
05-01-2014, 09:45 PM
well today ended the season in mississippi for the first time in probably 20 years i did not kill a turkey..but i sure enjoyed hunting one thing was good i did not have to clean a turkey..i know some of you boys seasons are still open i hope ya ll get a big tom..the way time is flying it will be squirl season before long...charlie

Jerry Harlow
05-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Charlie,

Wish you had kept all that rain. Over four inches of rain here; if the hens were setting I am sure many nests washed away in the floods. And a Sunday plus three straight days of rain and it was right in what is the peak week. One guy told me he heard eight gobblers close enough to walk to each of them, just standing in one spot last Saturday. They are quiet now.

Sorry you did not get one. Make up for it next spring.