PDA

View Full Version : Snipe hunting in Florida

Angel Cruz
02-23-2014, 10:24 AM
I went last weekend and being the end of the season I was not expecting much. We had 6 flush. I took 4 shots but none harvested. Now I can't wait for next season. And hopefully it will be a little wetter.
The pictures are on the way to some hunting grounds. Don't believe it if someone tells you the drought in Fl is over. I should be standing in 3 feet of water.

Gerald McPherson
02-23-2014, 05:39 PM
It's been raining in Georgia for over a year. As wet as I have ever seen. Gerald

Destry L. Hoffard
02-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Angel I've said it before and I'll say it again. The snipe is the toughest to hit American game bird. They're also the toughest to hit in England, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, and Argentina. I can't say that about anywhere else, but I've missed them in all those places.

Destry

Forrest Grilley
02-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Angel I've said it before and I'll say it again. The snipe is the toughest to hit American game bird. They're also the toughest to hit in England, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, and Argentina. I can't say that about anywhere else, but I've missed them in all those places.

Destry

Couldn't agree more. Everyone should try hunting them without one of those new fangled double barrel guns as well. Snipe (and the woodcock) are perfect game birds for the muzzleloading hunter as well. They sit tight, and usually only give you one good shot anyway.

Angel Cruz
02-23-2014, 08:17 PM
You guys ain't kidding. If you don't hit then in the first shot forget the second shot, you just wasting lead.
That's some fine shooting Forrest. What gauge is the muzzleloader?

Peter Clark
02-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Couldn't agree more. Everyone should try hunting them without one of those new fangled double barrel guns as well. Snipe (and the woodcock) are perfect game birds for the muzzleloading hunter as well. They sit tight, and usually only give you one good shot anyway.

I am a huge black powder fan and that is just perfect. Way to go.

I haven't tried BP shotgunning yet, muzzleloader or cartridge, but am fond of muzzleloading rifles and BPCRs, also handguns.
-plc-

wayne goerres
02-23-2014, 09:32 PM
Shooting muzzle loaders can become very addictive. If you are shooting a single shot you have to make it count. It will improve your shooting skills. Nice gun. Who is the builder.

Dean Romig
02-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Forrest, that's quite a cute mixed bag of snipe and woodcock and true to the motif on your powder flask. Great picture!

Forrest Grilley
02-24-2014, 08:06 AM
You guys ain't kidding. If you don't hit then in the first shot forget the second shot, you just wasting lead.
That's some fine shooting Forrest. What gauge is the muzzleloader?

Thank you Angel. It's a 17 gauge. I load it with 2 1/4 drams of powder and 1 oz # 7 bismuth (by volume, so about 3/4-7/8 oz by weight). I do all of my hunting in Wisconsin, where they made the change recently to non-toxic shot for snipe as well.

The original muzzleloader was made by William Nunn, of Hertford. It only weights 4 1/2 pounds so it is an absolute pleasure to carry all day long walking around snipe pot holes. Since that picture was taken I have re-browned and etched the barrel, and made a correct ebony ramrod to replace the broken original.

I use my early Parker hammer guns as well for snipe. I load up the magtech brass cases with 2 3/4 drams powder and again with 1 oz shot. My Parkers are tightly choked, so I have to train myself to delay a "second" before firing at a close twisting snipe. Much easier to tell yourself, than to actually pull off.

Angel Cruz
02-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Wow 4 1/2 lbs.. how long are the bbls?

Mills Morrison
02-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Snipe hunting is one of my favorite birds to hunt, but opportunities are few and far between in my parts, unless you own habitat

Forrest Grilley
02-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Wow 4 1/2 lbs.. how long are the bbls?

The barrel is still a full 30". Handles like a light twig in your hands, and is perfect for the snap shooting required for the snipe and woodcock. Very hard to find modern guns that handle the same way. That's neither good nor bad, but just different. You have to adjust your shooting style accordingly.