PDA

View Full Version : The woodcock have FINALLY arrived in Georgia

will evans
02-22-2014, 10:36 AM
I hunted the mountains yesterday looking for Grouse. My dog kept finding woodcock. They were on top of every Mountain I climbed, in abundance. Too bad the season went out on those mid-January.:banghead:

One word sums up my Georgia bird hunting season - HORRIBLE!

Destry L. Hoffard
02-22-2014, 06:39 PM
I didn't even know there were grouse in Georgia. You learn something every day.....

I'd say you caught them heading back rather than south. The winter has been so severe I'd say the woodcock came through your way long ago.

DLH

will evans
02-22-2014, 07:16 PM
RG are definitely sparse in Georgia. You wont find them on flat ground. Seldom below 3000 ft in the mtns. You do well to flush a bird per hour. Thinking about it, I think you are right about the migration. They were probably here and gone before our season started.

Dean Romig
02-22-2014, 07:44 PM
I sure hope they don't get up this way too soon or they'll be probing for worms through a foot of hard frozen snow.

Rich Anderson
02-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Spring is a very long way off here also:banghead:

Russ Jackson
02-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Maybe they are Pennsylvania Birds on their way home ,I haven't run into any yet but it shouldn't be too long ! Last week we had 18 inches of snow on the ground now we have grass showing in the spring seeps ,SPRINGS ACOMIN I hope :rotf:!

Harold Lee Pickens
02-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Well, 2 weeks ago when weather was frigid and a foot of snow on the ground, they were back in eastrn Ohio. Always are despite the weather.
I was on a local nature talk radio yesterday and reported this and the host said that friends of his had already reported them back in Cape May, NJ.
Speaking of unusual --this morning while checking my emails, 28 deer came into my yard outside the kitchen window. Now, I live in the country with a farm bordering m y back yard and a several thousand acre park (Ogelbay) on the other side of the road, but I have never seen that many deer at one time and all in my yard.

Russ Jackson
02-23-2014, 02:27 PM
Harold ,are you feeding them or did they just drop by for a visit :rotf: ?

wayne goerres
02-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Probable easer for the deer to eat your roses buds and grass than to forage for food in the woods with all the snow.

Jack Kuzepski
02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Wayne,

You're right. The deer in my area in Northern Delaware are doing just that. We've been finding them at all times of the day slipping into yards to brouse on shrubs. If someones dogs get started barking they just slip into another yard or back into the treeline of the woods

Jack Kuzepski

Gerald McPherson
02-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Woodcock are usually here in low lying areas during the season.Geald