PDA

View Full Version : Texas Woodcocks

ForrestArmstrong
02-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Saw some woodcocks in creek bottom, splashing around in the shallow water. I did not know woodcocks got as far south as Texas (central) but my more knowledgeable friend insisted that is what they were and they sure looked like it to me too. We have tons of doves, mourning & whitewings, I do know what those look like. Like everywhere in the USA, we have had a very cold winter.

Rick Losey
02-10-2014, 12:42 PM
since a very high number of the continent's woodcock winter in Louisiana, i would expect a few sightseers to tour Texas as well.

Dean Romig
02-10-2014, 04:51 PM
"Splashing around in the shallow water." leads me to ask if you saw a flock of them together splashing or a number of them individually splashing away from others?

ForrestArmstrong
02-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Just a couple, splashing in & out, before they saw us and left

Dean Romig
02-10-2014, 07:57 PM
It must have been fun to watch them. I love watching woodcock as much as I enjoy hunting them - their "sky dance" in the very early spring and their flighting in the late fall. I haven't seen a woodcock splashing in the water yet, but I hope to.

ForrestArmstrong
02-10-2014, 08:59 PM
I'll try to get pics

Russ Jackson
02-11-2014, 10:41 AM
I'm with Dean on this one ,I haven't seen it either but would really enjoy seeing it ! I am a very addicted Woodcock hunter ,and sad to say ,I am not looking forward to the fall season very much without Old Chip , Chips and his mother ,Maggie and I hunted Woodcock for over 20 Years combined between both their life times ! When I was a kid there were literally hundreds probably thousands over my growing up years of Woodcock land in what we called " The Bottom " an area on Dads farm with a small run going through the center and dark loamy soil and when the flights would drop in ,I was as tickled as if it were Christmas Morning ,none of my Buddies at the time understood my affliction but seemed to tolerate it and followed along while we had our Beagles out hunting Rabbits and I would shoot Woodcock and Dream of owning my own Pointing Dog ! Ahh ,those were the days !

charlie cleveland
02-11-2014, 01:15 PM
russ i too think them were good old days when we were out hunting with our friends..thanks for the memory...charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
02-17-2014, 08:36 PM
I wonder if they weren't snipe rather than woodcock. I've seen them splash around in the water more than once.

DLH

Eric Eis
02-18-2014, 10:54 AM
I wonder if they weren't snipe rather than woodcock. I've seen them splash around in the water more than once.

DLH

I was wondering the same thing.

charlie cleveland
02-19-2014, 09:24 AM
i think i asked this before but whats the differance between a snipe and a wood cock... charlie

Eric Eis
02-19-2014, 09:37 AM
i think i asked this before but whats the differance between a snipe and a wood cock... charlie

Snipe are smaller and found around marshy areas woodcock are larger darker color and found more in the lower part of the uplands that can be bogey (that make any sense) or where there is rich lommy soil for them to find worms.
When he said he saw them splashing in pools of water is why I first thought snipe, that's their habitat