PDA

View Full Version : squirl hunting

charlie cleveland
02-09-2014, 08:53 AM
well the little jack russel named dasiey has talked me into taking off from work this week and going squirl hunting.she s got a buddy lulu who is a mixed lab that plans on tagging along with us..now dasiey and me make it good together were both slow on the trail but the lulu shes young and fast we will have to wait and see how this works out... our first choice of guns for the week will be a parker v grade 20 ga with 27 inch barrels.. from there it will probably be a parker 20 g grade 26 inch barrels..then a 20ga d grade parker with damascus barrels 28 inch...then bringing up the rear will be a 20 ga ds grade lefever with 28 inch barrels then last but not least a 0 grade lc smith with 28 inch barrels single trigger and ejectors with selector..these guns ain t seen much action this year so they gona git to see what they can do this week...usally i would have taken the big 8 s or the 10 s but i m going to be walking a lot and i figured that a gun of around 6 lbs on most of them would be better to tote at the end of the day than a 13 1/2 lb gun what do you think.... now there s 5 days hunting with the 20 ga s so what shall i use for the six th day.....aha a little 410 stevens double barrel wants to go so if shes good i will let her tag along... charlie

Rich Anderson
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
What no .22LR???:shock::shock:

wayne goerres
02-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Havn't you heard. Its not fashionable nore safe to fire a 22 rifle up in the air. I think that may be a rumor started by Home Land Securety.

Brian Dudley
02-09-2014, 07:03 PM
I have always liked using a shotgun for squirrel. Sure you have to get closer to them, but they are quicker on the fly, especially on one moving.

Rich Anderson
02-09-2014, 07:08 PM
It's never been said I was fashionable:nono: but I have always used a scope sighted .22 for squirrels.

charlie cleveland
02-09-2014, 07:40 PM
i like the 22 for squirls..usally a friend uses a scoped 22 and i back him up with the shotgun if they run. but this week i ll be hunting by myself..anyway i can hitem better with the shotgun most of the time..i sure picked a good week to take off hunting its suppose to be a big chance of some sleet and snow in my area for the next two days..long as it don t get over hip dip i ll be alrite...may have to tote the dog tho she aint over10 inches off the ground...charlie

wayne goerres
02-09-2014, 10:22 PM
If the dog is white you may loose her in the snow.

charlie cleveland
02-10-2014, 08:34 AM
she is mostly white but she does havea brown ring eye and a little black on her head..she does like to hunt..i sure picked a bad week to hunt its raining at the moment and 34 degrees and tommorrow their giving 1/4 inch of ice and up to a inch of snow..rain or snow the hunt must go on...charlie

James R. Black
02-10-2014, 06:34 PM
The problem with collecting guns is that you never get the chance to use all of them in the same season or maybe several seasons.I suppose the sane way to proceed would be to use one gun and forget the rest, but think how many experiences you would loose in that endevor.

wayne goerres
02-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Oh no. Sacraliege They should lenthen out the hunting season.

Rich Anderson
02-10-2014, 07:30 PM
I have a rotation and during rifle deer season I use a different one every other day or so, it takes about 5yrs to bring one back around:shock:

charlie cleveland
02-10-2014, 08:20 PM
well the rain stopped and it started spitting snow so off the dogs and i went with the little v grade 20 ga in hand..dogs hunted hard for two hours but no squirls were seen smelt or treed.boy i think they had stayed in bed...so me and doga come back to the house after a big round...we ate dinner and rested for a spell..about 4.00 pm we loaded up in the truck and went to a little hollow that nobody hasd hunted squirls in all season..at 4.30 dasiey had one treed dont you knowa den tree it was hollow from bottom to top...in a few minutes another one was treed lulu the new dog showed a little interest i then spotted something that looked like a squirl took a shot and knocked a little bark off the tree.it was not a squirl i got to looking and this tree was hollow also..called the dogs and told them less go find another one..about 5.00 we treed our 3 rd squirl dont you know it was getting a little dark never found this one..as we approched the truck daisey treed again but i would have needed a good flash light to have this one..well in a 1 1/2 hour hunt we treed 4 times i m sure the squirls were in those den trees and the lighting was bad for sure on the last two.. the little 20 ga really carried well i had fun even though i got no squirls.found out i m bad out of shape plus got gout in my right foot so a whole days walk is out of the question..will bind up the foot tommorrow and try again we may have to hunt in the snow we are suppose to git some about 3.00 am..boy is the weather messed up..gona drag out another 20 tommorrow...charlie

charlie cleveland
02-11-2014, 08:49 PM
snow was on the ground this morning and the wind blowing some...figured that it would warm up in the evening and we could get a few hours in of hunting in but it never warmed up enough so we stayed in and worked in the shop..tommorrow its suppose to snow again. what a week to hunt squirls..charlie

charlie cleveland
02-12-2014, 10:40 AM
raining this morning the snow never happened in my area but were on a weather alert at the moment this rain could turn to ice anytime..dasiey and me gona stay by the fire today and dream of better days ahead... charlie

wayne goerres
02-12-2014, 10:53 AM
You have the same weather forecast we have. I may load some shells today.