PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING IN A 130 YEAR OLD GUN

Jerry Harlow
02-08-2014, 11:39 PM
For me at least. Saw lots of birds, and they are pairing up now. This was the only shot I had though, and a double the first time I shot the gun at game. Using 1.5 ounces American E in the right and American E and Bismuth 50/50 mixture in the left. Number 4s. I don't like the AE and am using it up by mixing it. First bird broken wing and not through skin, second one dead with the mixture.

Other birds must have heard the big report from the 10 and decided to keep their distance.

charlie cleveland
02-09-2014, 08:31 AM
looks like that old 10 even though she s a century plus old can still git out and do what her great great great grandkids can do and with style for sure...thats a great picture with the geese and the ten together..what did youre load consist of and what was the yards the geese taken at.. wish i coulda been there with my old ten... charlie

Rich Anderson
02-09-2014, 08:34 AM
I doubt anything being made currently will be around in 130 years let alone be usefull. It appears your gun has a nice stick of wood on it. Congrats on breaking her in:)

Mills Morrison
02-09-2014, 09:01 AM
I bet that old gun will outlast some of the guns being made today

Jerry Harlow
02-09-2014, 02:44 PM
looks like that old 10 even though she s a century plus old can still git out and do what her great great great grandkids can do and with style for sure...thats a great picture with the geese and the ten together..what did youre load consist of and what was the yards the geese taken at.. wish i coulda been there with my old ten... charlie

Charlie,

Using Sir Sherman Bell's number 11 load: Remington black letter case, Winchester 209, 29 grains of Universal Clays, 1.5 ounces of shot. Supposed to be 8300 psi and a slow 1161 fps.

Brids were about 35 yards, right modified and left full. I do not think I have killed a bird dead yet with the American E, I am sorry to say. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the load. But I don't think so. You can take a pair of pliars and crush this shot back to the powder it was formed from. I've had nothing but good luck with Bismuth.

Wish you could have been there also. I made a half-dozen calls trying to find someone to go and they all refused. Their beds were too warm I believe. But this way I did not have anyone claiming my birds!

ForrestArmstrong
02-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Beautiful gun.