PDA

View Full Version : New Years Phox Pheasant Phun

Harold Lee Pickens
01-02-2014, 12:26 PM
I had posted earlier about using all 8 of my 16 ga's to take game this year. That included 3 Parkers, 3 Foxes, a Lefever, and a Rizzini ou. I then completed the Parker slam ending with my little VH 20. I completed the Fox slam on New Years Day using my latest aquired of my 6 Foxes, a nice 20 SW of Utica origion. It has 28' cyl/m barrels. It has much nicer than normal wood for a SW and retains 30-40 % of its case color. I moved another bird, but it flushed back over the male's head( Shiner) and he came up like an ICBM and grabbed the bird by the wing and pulled it out of the air--he let loose and the bird took off low, affording me no shot for fear of hitting the dogs. Since I have 2 SW 20's, this one may have to become trading material on another Parker. Time to get back to shooting the Parker 16's
BTW, Shiner turned 12 yo on 12/31/13 .

charlie cleveland
01-02-2014, 03:37 PM
looks like both dos are proud of themselves...happy birthday shiner...charlie

Harold Lee Pickens
01-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks Charlie,
Shiner also retrieved a large possum to hand that morning. I thought he was working a bird, when he reached down and brought me a big possum. He had a bigger grin on his face than the ol' grinner possum did. It got up and moved away after a while.Those 2 dogs are alot of fun to hunt over as they really produce alot of game for me.

Daryl Corona
01-02-2014, 05:03 PM
What's the limit on possums in your neck of the woods? Did you dispatch it with a Fox or a Parker?:eek:

Rich Anderson
01-02-2014, 06:57 PM
They eat Possum in West By God Virginia?

Harold Lee Pickens
01-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Actually, this was in Ohio, not WV. I was feeling benevolent and didn't shoot the possum. I have skinned a few of those greasy things as a kid when I trapped.
I did eat some wild game that day ,as my wife had fixed venison tenderloin in a dry rub on the grill and I fixed that pheasant in white wine and mushrooms. I am lucky in that my wife likes wild game and has no problems fixing it. Her father was a hunter.
I have a preserve pheasant hunt booked in 2 weeks. I won it at an NRA banquet. I am going to let my son sh00t all the birds with me as back up.
Daryl and Rich, looking forward to seeing you g uys at some SXS shoots this spring.

Daryl Corona
01-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Spring can't come soon enough!:cuss:

Rich Anderson
01-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Only 4mos untill the Southern Daryl. Temps in the negative today and wind chill warnings.....:eek:

Harold Lee Pickens
01-03-2014, 09:07 AM
I hear ya Daryl. Eight degrees this morning, shoveling 4" of snow out of the driveway. The setters were barking at me--they wanted back in the garage!
Grouse season is still in Ohio 'til the end of Jan and in WV thru end of Feb, but they are few and far between in my area now--I rarely will shoot one now, but still get the dogs out. There are usually a couple local gun shows in Jan to browse thru. Thinking about going to the Southern SXS this spring.

Rich Anderson
01-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Harold you will love the Southern as we shoot at a neighboring club called Drakes Landing. The people that run the place are truly glad to have us and I will be organizing shooting for Thurs-Sat there. You will also get to see lots of wonderfull guns in the vendors tents at Deep River. Bring plenty of sells and your checkbook:rotf:

Daryl Corona
01-03-2014, 09:30 AM
15 degrees with a 0 degree wind chill preceded by 6" of stinking snow.:eek: I don't know how you boys up north put up with this but Florida or South Carolina is definitely in my retirement plans. Need some company Mr Dwyer?

Rich Anderson
01-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Buck up there Jr. it's not that bad and it won't last forever. It supposed to be in the low to mid 20's tomorrow so it's time to turn Daisy loose on the Pheasants again.

Harold Lee Pickens
01-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Yep, supposed to warm up a bit this weekend, and it will be muzzle loader season out at the farm. I would like another deer in the freezer.
I will seriously consider going to the Southern--the little Sterly 20 that started this post would make good trading material--I have another one just like it and dont need 2.

Eric Eis
01-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Yep, supposed to warm up a bit this weekend, and it will be muzzle loader season out at the farm. I would like another deer in the freezer.
I will seriously consider going to the Southern--the little Sterly 20 that started this post would make good trading material--I have another one just like it and dont need 2.

Well Harold, you will have a great time shooting with us at the Southern, as Rich said the people at Drake's landing are the Best the course is one of the best you will shoot, and then you get all the eye candy at vendors tents at Deep River, it really doesn't get much better then that.... !:)