PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Snow

Rich Anderson
12-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Old Man Winter has had a death grip on central Michigan since Thanksgiving with cold temperatures, high winds and December has seen snow and IMHO lots of it. It seems every other day I'm shoveling the driveway makeing the banks higher and higher. Yesterday was no different other than the fact the thermometer was to climb into the mid double digits, the wind was calm and the sun was trying hard to break through the gray clouds of winter.

I take the time between Christmass and New Years off and due to the way it fell this year it's two weeks for me. It was during this time that Gunner and I would head for the Haymarsh to enjoy some winter Pheasant hunting.

I shoveled the drive had my morning Motrin and coffee and got the collars, bells, whistle, shells and Gunner's gun ready. Daisy viewed these efforts with unbrideled enthusiam and energy. She has been working up a big case of cabin fever and was looking forward to a day out doing what she loves and so was I. While I was getting the gear ready I had put fire into the truck to warm it up and get all it's vital fluids ready also and put some heat into the seats. It wasn't hard to load Daisy and she curled up on that heated seat like the pro she is.

As I turned into the two track that would lead me to where I wanted to hunt I put the truck into 4 wheel drive. There was between 12 and 18 inched of snow on the ground and better safe than sorry. I hadn't gone far when I began to regret this route. I felt the rear end shift slightly to the right then the back end sunk to the rear bumper. I was stuck. I tried rocking it but would just bury it deeper. I pondered my situation for a moment, I could start the hunt from here, nobody would use this trail so leaving the truck wouldn't cause anyone any grief and Tim could always come with a tractor. One last effort in 4 whell low got her moving ever so slightly all the while spitting snowthen mud and finally some gravel everywhere. I slowly crab crawled 100 feet until I was moving in a straight line again and got to where I wanted but didn't pull into the turn around I just left the truck on the trail.

Daisy and I started in a stand of pines thats about 50-75 yards wide and a solid 200 yards long. This is bordered by thick grasses, brush and Autum Olive and always holds birds. Daisy was working the pines as I labored through the snow along a four wheeler trail that leads to a deer blind. Towards the end of the pines she locked up on point. I wallowed through a deep drift to reach her and looked for what she was pointing and saw a rooster hunkered down along the edge of the pines and an Autum Olive bush. I circled around to flush the bird but he saw me and moved deeper into the cover. If he flushed back intto the pines I'd have no shot. Daisy saw him also and relocated and cut him off. He voiced his displeasere at haveing to fly into the open field and was in mid bitch cackle when Gunner's gun floated to my shoulder, the twin Ivory beads lined up and the right barrel brought him down. Daisy was on him in a flash and we had our first bird. We continued to work the edge of the pines and it wasn't long and she was on point again. It was extremely thick and I couldn't come into the point from in front of her so I worked my way around her from behind and came in from another angle. All the while I was moving around she stayed rock solid on point. I eased in and another rooster flushed up through the thick understory. Once again Gunner's gun brought him down. I wasn't far from the truck and with two big birds in my vest and pushing snow I decided to drop these two off befor going further. I stopped to take a picture of where the bird came from and no sooner had the camera put away and the bird in the vest then Daisy was at it again. She was on point under a pine bough that led into an Autum Olive bush. This bird left the seclusion of the pines however and attempted a running escape. It was a short tracking job for Daisy and the bird flushe a little farther out but the right barrel caught up to him and Daisy brought it back proudly. I now had three fine roosters on a scratch hunt and I wasn't gone 45 min. I put the birds in the truck took a couple of pictures and moved on.

We made a big loop around some more of the same type of cover and found fresh tracks that were of great interest to both of us. I trusted Daisy's nose as to the direction the bird was going as with the deep fluffy snow I couldn't tell. The bird led us on a merry chase of a hundred yards or so when the tracks ran out. Daisy gave a puzzled look but the snow told the story as there were wing marks in the snow where it flushed wild. This bird had taken us into the woods behind the stand of pines where we got the first bird. We hunted the edges of some pot hols and worked out of the woods to a long ditch.

Once out into the field the wind was more apparent and even though it was a south wind it carried no warmth. The clouds were grayer and lower than earlier in the day and the sun was nothing but a memory. We worked the ditch west for a couple of hundred yards then it turned south for a couple of hundred more and would take us back to the truck. It seemed colder now and Daisy's bell froze so keeping track of her was somewhat difficult as in my hurry to get started I'd left my hearing aids at home. We were on the home leg of the ditch when she went on point. She was on the opposite side and it was hellish thick and there was no way I was going to get through besides that ditch is deep and always holds water. She was solid and won't break a point but unless she moved that bird we wern't going to get a chance at it. I coaxed her on to "get him girl, get him up". The bird must have sensed the predicament he was in and out he came and down he came just that easy. Daisy got him and held him a little longer. We were 20 yards from the truck and she carried hin to it. I put a towel on the fron seat started it up and put the heat intp the seat for her. She curled up and didn't move untill we got home.

Two hunters left the comfort of the recliner, the warmth of the hearth and ventured out into a cold, snowy December day to hunt Pheasants in the midst of winters grip. We loved it and I know Gunner did to.

Rich Anderson
12-27-2013, 09:48 AM
I'll try yet again to add some pics.

Angel Cruz
12-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Rich, what a way to start the new year. What a great hunt!!

Daryl Corona
12-27-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm impressed! Must have been the combination of a good dog and a fine Parker.:bowdown:

Richard Flanders
12-27-2013, 03:06 PM
I could picture your hunt in my mind Rich. I know these places - the parking spot, the pines, the deer stand, the ditch. Those look like nice big roosters too. What a great hunt, and while everyone else was hiding at home. Good on you.

rufus thames
12-27-2013, 04:04 PM
We all feel the warm appreciation you have for Gunner he I think is truly once in a life time, for with out Gunner your hunting trip and story would be very short.
I had a few once in a life time dogs except they were cold trail deer dogs. Their names were Beulah & Huckleberry. Think of them daily for they were I considered part of my family.
Yes they are truly mans best friend and above.
Thanks for Gunners hunting trip story.
Rufus

Rich Anderson
12-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Daryl it was great dog work and a better gun...I was just the middleman:bowdown:

Rufus, Gunner was indeed a family member and a once in a lifetime companion. I am honored to have had him as a hunting partner for 14 seasons. While there is no dust on Daisy it's just not the same.

Robert Rambler
12-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Awesome hunt Rich, thanks for taking us along!:)

charlie cleveland
12-28-2013, 08:48 AM
what a hunt...beautiful pictures andguns that are only dreamed about...and a fellow who braved the cold and the elements while i sat by the fire.. charlie

Mills Morrison
12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Just getting around to reading this. Great story Rich!

Harold Lee Pickens
12-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Very nice Rich. I was supposed to take my son, Jeremy, out Sunday on a pheasant hunt I bought at the local NRA banquet, but we got about 2 " of rain, and i rescheduled the hunt. I plan on letting him shoot all the birds, with me as backup. I am planning on going out on New Years Day to see if I can find any of the pheasants we turned loose in October at our sportsman s club.
Are there any grouse in your local area?

Rich Anderson
12-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Harold there is some local Grouse hunting nearby. I put up a couple at the Haymarsh earlier in the year.