PDA

View Full Version : Chukar hunting Alaska style

Richard Flanders
11-22-2013, 04:41 PM
It's a balmy 13deg mid-winter Alaska day here this morning. Snowed lightly last night. Seemed the perfect day to go Chukar hunting so I loaded up my Parker pitcher with ammo (sunflower seeds, black...) and headed out into the wilderness of my back yard and scanned the forest. Instantly, I had game in sight and the minute I shook the pitcher and tossed out some seed they came on in force and chowed down at my feet, the hunt over. I tell you, this is the way to hunt chukars! I think I've made some new friends, hopefully for the winter. I love this place!

charlie cleveland
11-22-2013, 07:04 PM
very nice picture of the birds love the snow but don t like 13 degree weather but thats probably nothing for you up there..that s the first parker tea pitcher i ve ever seen...thanks for showing us your friends....charlie

Richard Flanders
11-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Looks like they're hooked. I saw them coming and went down an opened the basement door and shook the seeds and they came running right up to the door to eat. This is going to be fun....

Update: They filled up on seeds and are hunkered down in a tight bundle against the outside wall of my basement. I think they like me....

Gerald McPherson
11-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm on my way. This will be fun.

Dave Suponski
11-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Rich,any of your ruffed grouse friends show up yet?

Richard Flanders
11-23-2013, 07:18 PM
No ruffies yet Dave, but these little chukar buddies are settling right in. They spent the day hiding under my firewood decks, which is perfect and safe cover, and came out occasionally to feed and look around. Seems every time I go out the door they're somewhere different - perched on a wood pile, under the house deck getting grit, feeding, or just walking around the house checking out every nook and cranny. They barely move when I walk by them. I'll have them in my lap before long. Maybe I should make them up a little heated roosting box!!....

Dave Suponski
11-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Very cool Rich. Looks like you are gonna have some company this winter. I just hope the shot from the mid-winter outhouse cleaning doesn't scare them off...:)

Rich Anderson
11-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Do you have a neighbor that have these in a pen? Perhaps he is missing a few.

Richard Flanders
11-23-2013, 08:09 PM
No worries Dave; they'll likely be living in the house with me by then... if not, I'll have little ear muffs made for them...

A nearby neighbor does raise some Rich. They've been escaping and running around the hill for several years. I've seen them 2-3 miles from here on the road recently, and folks have been tracking this (my) herd for a while. A neighbor kid shot one with a bow a while back - that program is over if he knows what's good for him! I suspect that my place is so perfect and dog-free thus "safe" that they'll spend the winter pretty close to my feeder, which is more than fine with me. As for the guy who is missing a few.... oh well! Darwinism at work.

charlie cleveland
11-24-2013, 09:03 AM
looks like you have made some real friends there..ireally like the close up picture of these little fellers...charlie