PDA

View Full Version : Super Labs

Robert Rambler
11-22-2013, 03:33 PM
Always knew Labs are great retriever's but these guys take it to a whole new level. :bowdown::)

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/2013/11/video-toughest-duck-dog-you%E2%80%99ll-see-all-day?cmpid=enews112213b&spPodID=020&spMailingID=5884929&spUserID=MTMxMDk0MzE4MjES1&spJobID=348387944&spReportId=MzQ4Mzg3OTQ0S0

Rick Losey
11-22-2013, 03:38 PM
I had a Golden that would have had the heart to try that

I would not of had the heart to let her try that

scott kittredge
11-22-2013, 04:05 PM
no way , not my dog :shock:

chris dawe
11-22-2013, 05:18 PM
To be honest guys ,that's commonplace up here ...some place 's on the coast of Newfoundland they lower the dog over cliffs,that are too high to jump from with a long length of 3/8 rope ,he makes the retrieve and gets pulled back up ...if we waited for nice days to shoot ducks we wouldn't shoot many .

Up here this kind of dog was bred locally over generations,only the good ones made it ,in the winter years ago on the coast you either ate or starved ...so a good dog could make the difference between your family's life or death ...some guys up here used to cross Newfs with Labs to get a huge water dog that could better handle the rough water ...actually that's what the baymen call any retriever up here " water-dog " with the color beginning the title ...My "rusty color water-dog " (local chessie cross?) I had growing up was a awesome retriever,would swim under to pick up divers ,and tread water all day ... he had a mean streak for sure ,but loved me ...I left home for a year and came home late one Sunday night ,and first place I made for was the stable where lived with the cattle...poor old fella fair cried if that was possible for a dog ,he would've chewed the legs off anyone else!

King Brown
11-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Chris isn't exaggerating. My Lab couldn't perform to that standard in his prime. I've seen Chesapeakes do it because they were started that way and they're toughest in rough going. In Newfoundland in the 50s, I visited a South Coast fishing village that was little more than a deep cleft in the rocks with homes and fish stages around the edges. For my amusement, a fisherman threw a Carnation Milk can for his Heinz-variety dog to fetch. The can was filled with water and sank a couple fathoms to the bottom. The dog leaped from the wharf, swam out about 15 feet and dove down almost out of sight to retrieve it.
Apparently it was nothing special; the dogs were just trained to do it. It's also not as bad for the dogs as it looks. I learned from diving in heavy slop around Atlantic cliffs that there's a lot of up and down but it seems the surge slows down at the rock face.

Daryl Corona
11-22-2013, 07:50 PM
As a dedicated Lab person I would'nt subject my dogs to that for the sake of killing a duck. If that were the only duck hunting I could do I guess I'd hang it up and find a local pond to ply my trade. Are Eiders any good to eat anyway?

chris dawe
11-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Daryl ,I agree with you all the way...my dog was quite capable of it ,after all he was bred for it ,but I never asked it of him to that extreme ...close at times but not that ,though I knew full well his parents and litter mates were called upon each season .

I look at it this way ...Like the guys who worked themselves to the bone in my Grandfathers time ,digging out a full basement with pick ,shovel and wheelbarrow then mixing /pouring the foundation by hand...from the outside looking in ,it 's ludicrous....but if it's all you knew,all that anyone before you ever did,it's the way it's supposed to be ,plain and simple to those that do it

Eiders are big,fat and tastey by the way

Gerald McPherson
11-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Only the good ones made it the rest drowned. So only the good ones were bred. Glad I am not a dog there. Gerald

ron belanger
11-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Great dogs that would literally, die to do their job! I would not subject any dog to that kind of task...I know they are bred for it but there's a limit to what you should ask your loyal friend to do...In this day and age, especially!
Not like you can't find food and have to risk life and limb for it! :nono:

Gerald McPherson
11-23-2013, 05:06 PM
I once had an english pointer while hunting in the dead of winter if we came upon a lake he would take a long swim just for fun. Gerald