PDA

View Full Version : SoDak2013

Bruce Day
11-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Annual Parker trip to a family farm in central South Dakota.

Charlie Herzog, Pete Kappes, Russ Lindsay, Todd Kaltenbach and Bruce Day.

These are wild birds, no hens shot, and had not been hunted this year and will not be hunted again this year. They were mostly holding tight so it was good work for the setters. No guides except me. Not a preserve.

The ground is a combination of grain fields, cut corn and beans, marshes, grass and weeds, and shelter belts. Some standing milo.

We had plenty of birds for everyone to limit every day depending upon their shooting. We left plenty for next year. One marsh area that is hard to hunt, we had 19 birds get up and got one, a long tailed 32 bar bird that I will have a tail mount made, as the green hackle was particularly dark and vibrant. Fair number of second and some third year birds. Next year should be good because we could hear plenty of cackling after we were finished.

Russ Lindsay made a couple nice water retrieves and I recommend him to anyone who is planning to hunt marshes. Not very stylish but effective.

charlie cleveland
11-18-2013, 09:38 AM
mighty nice hunt you had there..nice to know them parkers are being used about everywhere.... charlie