PDA

View Full Version : first aid gel for dogs

Rick Losey
11-16-2013, 09:13 AM
I was carrying a Parker - so it fits here :)

and in off topic it would only be seen by PGCA members and I thought it would help all the forum members with dogs. good ending- not to worry

Yesterday was the last day before gun season for deer starts here, so I had Osthaus and Griffin out to my traditional last day spot.

we had a wild flush on a grouse and I changed directions to follow up, whistling the dogs to follow. When Griffin flashed by all I saw was blood red, from his top of his head and down to his muzzle then half way back his right flank. The blood trail in the leaves was better than from some deer I have shot.

I called him in and since I could not see the wound and we were close to the truck I took him back and used up a roll of paper towels and all the water I had to clean him up. Eventually I found a thorn cut on the inside of his ear. (amazing how they can bleed) Pressure and a paper towel did not slow it, so I got out the tube of this stuff called "EMT Gel" I have always carried in my gunning coat as a just in case. I had read about it in a magazine years ago and thought - what the heck.

I ran a line of this gel down the cut and spread it to the sides just a little, and the bleeding stopped instantly. and has not bled since.

I have seen the testimonials for this stuff, makes it sound like you can glue a dog back together with it. But I was impressed with the reaction.

it is not cheap at the vets, its much less on Amazon and some of the online dog suppliers. Now I am going to make sure I always have it with us, since I now have some faith it can handle something serious if it should occur.

Daryl Corona
11-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Rick;
EMT gel is a must have for anyone hunting with a dog. About 5 yrs. ago my Lab had gashed himself on an old barb wire fence on his right shoulder. I cleaned the wound, applied the gel and within 12 hours the wound had healed. My hunting partner is a veterinarian and thought he would have to stitch it up but was amazed at the healing in such a short period of time. Well worth the cost at any price. It also works pretty good on humans too.

Angel Cruz
11-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks Rick!! I keep a pack of "Wound Seal" in my pack. Now I'll throw in a tube of EMT gel.

chris dawe
11-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Well,I think my mind is made up.

charlie cleveland
11-16-2013, 07:48 PM
good to know these kinda of things...better to have this stuff and be ready we hope we never have to use these products but accidents do happen..could even save a life of your dog or even a human life..thanks for the post.... charlie

Richard Flanders
11-17-2013, 06:23 PM
I should have had the nurse who patched my cut hand up after I smacked a deer in Michigan this spring use that. She used some sort of goopy stuff to seal the cut closed but it didn't last but a few hours and was peeling off. I could have done way better myself with home-made butterflies made from paper tape. Maybe she shoulda bought their supplies at the vet!

Eric Eis
11-18-2013, 11:06 AM
I have never used the EMT gel but I have always carried with me for the same reason, can't hurt to have it...

Gary Laudermilch
11-18-2013, 11:54 AM
A few years back on a grouse hunting trip to Michigan I had my first opportunity to see EMT Gell in action. We had arrived after a 12 hour drive just before dark. So we took the dogs to a nearby cutover so they could burn some energy before nightfall. On the first pass by us my setter was red with blood from the tip of his nose to back past his rib cage and we had not even started hunting yet. After a clean up with blood pouring from his mouth I discovered something had punctured his tongue. It looked as though someone had taken a hole punch and pierced his tongue. The pool of blood on the ground had me wondering just how much blood a dog could loose before being in serious trouble.

I remembered having the EMT Gel and the good results on torn ears etc. so I quickly read the tube to see if there was a restriction on internal use. None present so I thought what the heck, might as well give it a try. I applied some followed by a bit of pressure and the bleeding stopped in a few minutes. We watched throughout the night and saw no signs of further bleeding. We hunted him hard for the next week and it never did bleed again.

EMT Gell - fantastic stuff- never be without it. And, you can damn well bet that if I ever need to stop a would on myself I will not hesitate to use it.