PDA

View Full Version : A Memorable Hunt

Dean Romig
11-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Once again I brought my grandson, Cam, 8, to "Grouse Camp" in Vermont with me last weekend and he had a wonderful time with Grampy and Uncle Jamie, my brother in law. Cam is quickly learning firearms safety, camp etiquitte, pitching in with chores, and woodlore from Jamie and myself.
Cam is very good about staying behind the line of fire when we are in the woods after grouse with only an occasional reminder from one of us. And he pays close attention to situate himself equally distant between Jamie and me and he has been solely responsible for the flushing of more than a few grouse.
We had hunted the "Switzer Place" for about an hour or a bit more and had twelve flushes but the place is growing up so thick with spruce and white pine on an old hillside orchard that we only saw a few of them and were only able to take a shot or two at birds we only had brief glimpses of. I swore I nailed one but Cam said, "No way Grampy, what you hit was that tree!" I searched and searched and Cam pretended to help but in the end I had to admit that he was right.
We were on the return leg and Jamie and Cam were walking side by side along the old camp road to Switzer's camp and I took a little detour through a promising little patch of cover when a big mature cock grouse flushed right in front of me at about twenty yards. "Admiral Perry's Gun" snapped to my shoulder seemingly all by itself and I fired the "open" barrel. The grouse thumped right smack in the middle of the road but picked himself right up and attempted to scramble into dense cover on the other side of the road. Jamie hollered "Get him Cam - run and get him!" Cam sprinted to the rapidly disappearing grouse as Jamie again yelled, "Grab him Cam - Grab him quick!" Cam did just as he was told but being afraid he might get clawed or pecked he grabbed at the rear of the bird. He came up with a handful of tail feathers. I was sprinting to get in on the action and I hollered, "Grab his head Cam!" and Cam came up with another handful of tail feathers. By this time we were all laughing pretty hard and I'm surprised we were able to get that grouse at all but finally I grabbed him around the wings and body.

What a hoot that was !! I'm sure Cam will remember that hunt for a long time to come.

Craig Larter
11-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Dean: Great story and what a memorable day----great retrieve Cam---grandpa will be expecting you to point by next season! Thanks for sharing.

Daryl Corona
11-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Wonderful story Grampy. I'll bet you an A-1 special that Cam will remember that day for a long time. You better keep yourself in good shape so you can chase down Cam's birds when he starts carrying a real Parker in a few years.:)

Larry Frey
11-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Dean,
It's really great that you are able to spend this time in the woods with your grandson. By the way I heard on the news this morning a mention of an Admiral Kenneth Perry who resides at the Groton CT sub base. I wonder if he is related to the original owner of your gun?

charlie cleveland
11-13-2013, 10:38 AM
grampy that sure was a good hunt..i m sure cam is learning fast from some good sources his grandpa and uncle... cam make sure grampy stays fit by letting him chase a bird now and then...will be expecting more stories from cam and grampy.... charlie

scott kittredge
11-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I think that's the rare "Y" tailed grouse. I have seen a few in these parts years ago, :rotf: I hope that's not the one you are dropping off :shock:

Dean Romig
11-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Scott, when you open the wrapping I put that grouse in you"ll see that he has a full and spectacular tail. The "Y" tailed grouse is destined for table fare whenever Cam is available for a ruffed grouse dinner.

Incidentally, Cam is absolutely elated with that flushing pheasant mount you gave him - he's the proudest boy in his town right now... although his mother (my daughter) isn't quite as pleased and his dad isn't too sure about putting a screw in his bedroom wall to hang it on - but they are both delighted that Grampy and his friends are taking such an interest in involving Cam. Thank You again!

Marc Retallack
11-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Dean, I can't help but think that story could be a missing page from Ruark's "The Old Man and the Boy".

Marcus

BTW- Great chaps!

Rick Losey
11-13-2013, 08:38 PM
you are going to mount that fan aren't you

:bigbye:

Dean Romig
11-13-2013, 08:43 PM
you are going to mount that fan aren't you

:bigbye:

Yep, we are. In a place of honor on the wall at 'grouse camp'.

Dean Romig
11-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Mark, those old chaps have about seen better days and I'm thinkin of meltin down those ol stovepipes to make a new set for Cam.

Marc Retallack
11-13-2013, 09:24 PM
That sounds like a fitting end to the life of those warriors. Just don't blink. He'll be out of them before you know it.

scott kittredge
11-14-2013, 04:14 AM
Scott, when you open the wrapping I put that grouse in you"ll see that he has a full and spectacular tail. The "Y" tailed grouse is destined for table fare whenever Cam is available for a ruffed grouse dinner.

Incidentally, Cam is absolutely elated with that flushing pheasant mount you gave him - he's the proudest boy in his town right now... although his mother (my daughter) isn't quite as pleased and his dad isn't too sure about putting a screw in his bedroom wall to hang it on - but they are both delighted that Grampy and his friends are taking such an interest in involving Cam. Thank You again!

Great! I am glade he likes it. and for the one screw in the wall, it might change the path he takes in life, I know it did mine,:) scott

Dean Romig
11-14-2013, 06:36 AM
That is the hope Scott and thank you again for your big part in it!

Russ Jackson
11-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Dean ,Sorry I am getting in on this late but just wanted to say ,Great Pictures and a Great day out with Family ,doesn't get any better than that ! Might be a Fun story with pictures of You and your Grandson for The " Parker Pages " for the folks that don't follow along on line ,Plus I'm sure Cam would love to see his picture in a real magazine ! :)

Daniel L. Nix
11-19-2013, 12:05 AM
That is an awesome story and Cam will long remember that adventure. I've taken my granddaughter hunting with me since she was three years old for deer, antelope and elk. Her younger brother has gone with me on trips since he was two. Last year, I let Haili help with the skinning at age 8. She has no problem reaching into the gut pile and can't wait to shot her first animal. Grandparents have to be the luckiest people on earth. Thank you for the story.

Matt Valinsky
11-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Thats great to see your grandson taking an interest in hunting. I've got 7 grandkids, the first 6 have no interest at all. I'm holding out on the last, she's 6months old now so it will be a while before I know.

Dean, ever get out around the small town of Barre, north central MA.? When I was growing up, pretty fair partridge country.

Dean Romig
11-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Matt, I have never hunted in Barre but a good friend goes there often for deer. He tells me of all the partridge he sees when scouting and just two years ago he found a great woodcock cover just teeming with them.... must have been a flight.