PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye pheasants

Harold Lee Pickens
11-11-2013, 11:03 AM
My appologies for no Parkers in the pictures, but other guns needed their turn too. The Fox SW 16 makes a great pheasant gun. It is a Utica gun, and thus has 2 3/4" chambers and can handle heavier stuff. It has a very nice replacement stock/pad and barrels had been cut to 26 1/2 inches with still plenty of choke. Because of this, the gun came cheap and I just love it.
The Rizzini 600 is also a 16 and has double triggers. It is the only OU I own, and the only one with choke tubes. Ialso shoot sporting clays better with this gun than any other I own.

Harold Lee Pickens
11-11-2013, 11:09 AM
By the way, that is a father -daughter brace, and they hunt together wonderfully, especially on those running pheasants. They back very well and both retrieve naturally. Shiner is now 12 years old, but his motor just doesnt seem to quit. His daughter Betty is now 7 and has an unbelievable nose.

Matt Valinsky
11-13-2013, 01:40 AM
Harold, great pictures and good looking setters. I'm about an hour and a half west of Wheeling out rt. 70. Ever hunt at Dillon Dam? If you do give me a shout, I've got an 8 month old setter had needs to get bird time and perhaps we can get together. The birds are state put and take but around here that's about as good as it get for pheasants. There are some wild birds over around Deer Creek Dam but pretty much on private ground and tough to get on.

Eric Eis
11-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Harold great looking dogs, do you ever breed them?

Harold Lee Pickens
11-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Matt, Dillon is about an hour and a half from me or alittle less. I have not hunted pheasants there before, but usually get to Salt Fork a time or two. These pheasants were taken at a club I belong to, Shortcreek Sportsman's, in Jefferson County. They turn loose a hundred or so birds in the end of October, and they get quite wild. We have managed switch grass, sorghum, and brushy reclaimed strip to hunt them in.
Certainly has become much tuffer to train dogs in Ohio now that the grouse population has tanked. Would not mind getting out to Dillon with you sometime. I was going to hunt pheas. today but then my best friend sent me a picture of a big 12 pt he arrowed last night and said the cold-snow really had the deer moving. I am not much of a bow hunter, but I guess I will go sit in a stand this afternoon and see what happens--I will probably wish I had taken the dogs out hunting. I own 170 acres in Belmont County (powhatan Point area) and have about 8 ladder stands scattered thru out.

Eric, I really want to get a pup out of Betty. I really love that dog and she is the spirit of her mother Speck, reincarnated. My male Shiner is her sire, so I probably need to find another good male of similar breeding. Betty should come back into heat around Feb 1st, thus pups would be at a good age by hunting season. Shiner is 12 but still hunts well with good stamina. I am going to do my best to get her bred this time

Harold Lee Pickens
11-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Matt, I do have a non-resident license so that is not a problem. Marrige moved me to the "wrong" side of the Ohio River--Wheeling.

Eric Eis
11-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Matt, Dillon is about an hour and a half from me or alittle less. I have not hunted pheasants there before, but usually get to Salt Fork a time or two. These pheasants were taken at a club I belong to, Shortcreek Sportsman's, in Jefferson County. They turn loose a hundred or so birds in the end of October, and they get quite wild. We have managed switch grass, sorghum, and brushy reclaimed strip to hunt them in.
Certainly has become much tuffer to train dogs in Ohio now that the grouse population has tanked. Would not mind getting out to Dillon with you sometime. I was going to hunt pheas. today but then my best friend sent me a picture of a big 12 pt he arrowed last night and said the cold-snow really had the deer moving. I am not much of a bow hunter, but I guess I will go sit in a stand this afternoon and see what happens--I will probably wish I had taken the dogs out hunting. I own 170 acres in Belmont County (powhatan Point area) and have about 8 ladder stands scattered thru out.

Eric, I really want to get a pup out of Betty. I really love that dog and she is the spirit of her mother Speck, reincarnated. My male Shiner is her sire, so I probably need to find another good male of similar breeding. Betty should come back into heat around Feb 1st, thus pups would be at a good age by hunting season. Shiner is 12 but still hunts well with good stamina. I am going to do my best to get her bred this time

I have a field breed setter male about 45 lbs very good hunter ask COB as he has hunted with Magic, maybe we can work something out. Just don't tell my "wife":shock: He is a tricolor setter

Matt Valinsky
11-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Harold, being semi-retired my schedule is very flexible. Give me a couple days notice and I'm ready to go. Always liked Wheeling. When I'm driving back from a trip from where I grew up, I know I'm only an hour and 45 minutes from home. And then there are our twice a year visits to Cabelas.