PDA

View Full Version : Last day in the hills...

chris dawe
11-10-2013, 11:21 AM
The pup and the old fella had to be separated the last few trips ...not for anything serious mind you ,just that the pup just won't leave the old fella alone!!! people say that Drahts can be sharp at times ,not Heiko no sir ,not a shred of it in him ...although there were times I wished he would have just put the pup in his place,just once :rolleyes:

So I had Ben out last week and he made his first point on a grouse ,absolutely beautiful !!!...very dramatic little fella,but unfortunately no camera and grouse being grouse no shot offered .

Today was the last for Ptarmigan up here,so it was just me and the pup,the hills were lightly dusted with snow and it was dead calm at around 0 degrees Celsius
,I noticed the sun coming up on my left and warming the hill so I figured the heat would draw the birds there...

Ben was playing around just ahead of me about 50 feet or so and wham ! he stiffens up , I say to myself #$&% he's on point ! with that I hear a unmistakable cackle of the Ptarmigan, and about 60 yards up the ridge there they were ...I walk up and one go's up and comes down ,I open the gun a replace the shell,then a second go's up and he comes down ....(I don't replace the shell this time:banghead: ) Ben comes running in and tackles a bird (Oh puppies !) I recover just long enough to see two more go to wing,and miss with the last shell.

Great way to end the season ...now watch out grouse !!!
(CH Parker 16 ,Gamebore 7 1/2 shells )

charlie cleveland
11-10-2013, 04:51 PM
what a way to end the season chris...those are some great looking colors on those birds for sure...hope the pup gets to minding his elders better...great looking gun...charlie

chris dawe
11-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Thank's Charlie, and thank's guy's ...it's been a hard day for me,it's just a couple day's away from the day last year we took Dad to emerg,and just 11 day's to go after that ...so there's quite a few memories coming to the surface ,we just had a big supper at Mom's,drank some whiskey and talked alot .

A year of first's .