PDA

View Full Version : UP grouse and Parkers

Harold Lee Pickens
11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
My 2 week trip to the UP was a great success.The grouse population was good, but the woodcock had pretty much migrated thru by the time I got there. I took 3 16 guages. a GH 16 O frame, a Fox Sw 16, and a lefever G 16.
I carried the Parker most of the time and really liked it, but the other 2 took their share of game also. The little G Lefever damascus is a great gun, but with chokes of F/F, even with spreaders, it throws a tight pattern.
Hunted with Rich,aka COB, one blustery cold, wet day. We had 36 grouse flushes and half a dozen wc flushes. I took 2 grouse and Rich, 1 grouse and 1 wc. In the last hunt of the day we moved 18 flushes, 14 0f which came out of trees. It got to the point where we were walking around looking up in the air when the dogs went on point.
After 2 weeks straight of grouse hunting, I was exhausted, but cant wait to get back up there. My dogs were so thin they looked like they were abused, despite giving them all the food they could eat.

Harold Lee Pickens
11-07-2013, 12:37 PM
A few more pic's

Rick Losey
11-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Glad to hear you enjoy the trip Harold

The UP is a trip every grouse hunter needs to make at some point

Stephen Hodges
11-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Great pictures Harold, looks like you guys had a great time.

Rich Anderson
11-08-2013, 11:33 AM
It was nice hunting with Harold for a day. We did indeed move lots of birds and the first bird taken with the Charles Boswell 20 was that Woodcock. I'm looking forward to the whole month of October up there next year.

charlie cleveland
11-08-2013, 06:29 PM
good hunt fellas..nothing like being in the field with friends and beloved double barrel and mans best friend... charlie